Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2019, 10:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: New Hampshire
THOR #16986
Refrigerator: propane ?

We are parked and no electric or generator, will the refrigerator stay on with just propane ? Or do you need to leave house batteries on to keep propane running ? Thanks

Old 12-09-2019, 10:48 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Fridge will still need power from the house battery/batteries to operate on propane. The 12V power operates the igniter and the fridge's thermostat and interior lights.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:49 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
But don't worry...it draws such little amperage you can go for days and days with no worries.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:00 PM   #4

THOR #16986
Thank you , I will house batteries on for the night, sounds like no problem if I do. Batteries are fully charged. Thank you all !
Old 12-09-2019, 11:13 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This means that you don't have to worry about drinking up all of the beer: before it starts getting warm...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:24 PM   #6

THOR #16986
Ooohhh too bad ... was looking for an excuse to get that ice cold beer taken care of ! Thanks Bob !��
Old 12-09-2019, 11:46 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Of course I never said that you couldn't...
Old 12-10-2019, 12:06 AM   #8

THOR #16986
�� I’ll do my best to monitor the temps on those beers !
Old 12-10-2019, 12:17 AM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
vigilance...
Old 12-19-2019, 12:16 AM   #10

State: California
THOR #15490
Depends on if you have a dual power RV fridge or a residential fridge if residential you need power from inverter if RV should have a switch for propane.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:33 AM   #11

THOR #16986
We have duel fridge, we are good one ac or propane. Hasn’t been a problem. We choose not to run propane while driving, but with it on all day and night , and sometimes multiple day’s and nights, the 3 or 4 maybe 5 hours we drive , fridge and freezer stays cold enough. Saw too many nightmare situations with propane on while driving... not worth it to us. Just needed that info to know if we could run house batteries for a night without any electric power. We appreciate everyone who helps newbies to this RV journey. It makes the trip extra special to know that there are people who care ! ��
Old 12-19-2019, 12:38 AM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueTac View Post
We have duel fridge, we are good one ac or propane. Hasn’t been a problem. We choose not to run propane while driving, but with it on all day and night , and sometimes multiple day’s and nights, the 3 or 4 maybe 5 hours we drive , fridge and freezer stays cold enough. Saw too many nightmare situations with propane on while driving... not worth it to us. Just needed that info to know if we could run house batteries for a night without any electric power. We appreciate everyone who helps newbies to this RV journey. It makes the trip extra special to know that there are people who care ! ��
Did you actually see them or just hear rumors? After 30 years of RVing I have heard multiple rumors but have never seen a real problem.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:33 AM   #13

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Did you actually see them or just hear rumors? After 30 years of RVing I have heard multiple rumors but have never seen a real problem.
I’m right there with you on this one!!! Been doing this a long time, lots of places and miles, have never seen, or talked to anyone who has seen a problem when running propane on the road.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:02 AM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I’m right there with you on this one!!! Been doing this a long time, lots of places and miles, have never seen, or talked to anyone who has seen a problem when running propane on the road.
Yeah, it's right up there with the "you won't be covered by your insurance if you _________" (fill in the blank) rumors.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:23 AM   #15

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Gotta agree with SuperD and 16ACE27 I have heard the rumors of propane problems while traveling but I have never seen or heard of an issue personally.
That goes all the way back to late 60's traveling in my dad's 69 Pontiac wagon and watching him turn the gas fridge on the camper off at gas stops then relight it manually after pulling off the pumps.
One travel trailer and three motorhomes later, our absorption refrigerator is always on propane when we travel. Never been an issue. As a precaution, and the necessity for this has been debated on these forums, we turn the fridge off when fueling and turn it back on after pulling away from the pumps. Just something my pops always did.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:51 AM   #16

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
LPG is heavier than air. You can shut it off at the gas pump if that makes you feel better but it's not necessary. LPG quickly drops to the ground and disperses outward. It dissipates rather quick. If you're in red neck village where some clown is pumping gas and smoking a cigarette, I strongly suggest you turn the shut off valve in a counter-clockwise direction. Other than that, relax and enjoy the adventure.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:14 AM   #17

Model: Newmar Ventana LE
State: Tennessee
THOR #16834
I’d rather leave the propane on than have a fridge and freezer full of food thaw and have to throw it all out (which has happened once or twice). Not worried about the gas station issue, since we’re diesel and go to truck stops. Diesel doesn’t have the same problem of easily being ignited by a spark.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:10 PM   #18

State: Texas
THOR #2121
I don’t personally worry about it either, but understand the concern.

Hopefully in next few years it’ll be a moot point as more motorhomes offer 12V compressor refrigerators. Lately I’ve noticed more motorhome specs showing a 10 cubic-foot 12V compressor fridge in place of absorption (propane) refrigerators. Picture below is one example.

There are pros and cons to both compressor and absorption designs, and fire safety isn’t the main issue for wanting the newer refrigerators, but at least it will be an option for those who aren’t as comfortable with propane.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2CC70B5D-425C-4564-93CB-66CBEE1E38E0.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	21878  
Old 12-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
They still have to figure out a way around the power usage of a compressor style 'Fridge...
Old 12-19-2019, 02:26 PM   #20

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
I’ve traveled a lot with the fridge on propane and it doesn’t bother me. I don’t turn it off when refueling either since my fridge is on the other side of the coach and it’s easy to make sure it’s running by listening for the burner. If it’s running then obviously the propane that’s reaching the unit is being burned. If there is a line leak upstream shutting it off inside isn’t going to make any difference.

That said, I prefer to drive with the propane off at the tank mostly in case of an accident. I bought an 800W inverter for $55 on eBay that is dedicated to running the refrigerator. Added an automatic transfer switch and I pretty much never run it on propane anymore. It was an easy and fun modification with no downside. Works for me.