Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2016, 12:49 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Refrigerator Propane Consumption

I was curious to know how much propane the refrigerator in our Vegas might consume over a 6 day period ?
We will be driving to Disney World for a vacation but will not be staying in the rv, it will be parked in a lot and we will be parked in the Boardwalk Hotel !
I know my wife will want to have some food and drinks in there for our travel days down and back.
I'm at about 75% full right now was wondering if I will need more that that for the trip .

Pete

Old 12-22-2016, 01:16 AM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Typically a propane tank is full at 75-80%... Should never be filled to 100% - but stop when liquid comes out the bleed valve (and you can see where that is on the front of the tank...)

I'd expect you have much more than enough to run the fridge for 6 days if you needed to. But if the hotel has a fridge - you might only need it on the actual travel days.

The furnace burns thru propane much faster - but with the Orlando area in the 70's now - and 80's predicted for the weekend (no where near a white Christmas... lol) - don't think that will be much of an issue - even if you were staying in the RV..
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:18 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Assuming it actually runs for about 8 hrs a day, cycling on and off it will burn about 1 gallon every five days. Refrigerators really don't use much propane, you should have plenty!
Old 12-22-2016, 01:25 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
We where full on our trip out west for 6 weeks and out of 6 weeks probably ran 2 weeks on propane and we only used 1/3 of tank. The only thing we used propane was for the frig. it lasts a long time.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:42 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
In our Axis, I think we filled our propane tank 3-4 times in our two month trip to Colorado and New Mexico. Ran the fridge the whole time and heated the water about half the time for showers at night. It last a long time.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:30 AM   #6

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
THOR #4282
Ya as others said it uses very little. It wouldn't surprise me if you didn't even move off 3/4 full.
In our Class C on a 10 day trip using the hot water almost every night and the fridge running on gas at least 5 days I don't even think we used 1/2 of the tank. The real killer of the gas is the furnace. I think I have a 40lb capacity.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:34 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Thank you for all of your replys . I guess we will be ok in the propane dept for this trip.....
Old 12-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #3552
I have been parked for a month in Baja with the fridge running and have used less than a tank of propane. Cooked almost every night but no furnace usage and minimal hot water usage.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Conversely we went camping in April 2014 and it was <32F the whole weekend. Went through an entire tank of propane between the water heater and the furnace LOL. Our first weekend with the Axis--really "broke it in"
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:53 PM   #10

THOR #6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentilebrian View Post
Ya as others said it uses very little. It wouldn't surprise me if you didn't even move off 3/4 full.
In our Class C on a 10 day trip using the hot water almost every night and the fridge running on gas at least 5 days I don't even think we used 1/2 of the tank. The real killer of the gas is the furnace. I think I have a 40lb capacity.

We used 1/4 of our gas using hot water,heat,cooking, refrigerator about 15 days. I did put up curtain across cabin and driving area. Keeps heat and air in living area. We have 26 ft freedom elite. 40lbs tank.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:49 AM   #11

THOR #5112
i have a 12 gal tank that will last a couple months driving back and forth on long trips with just refrigerator on.