Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2021, 01:29 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #18343
Just paid renewal in New York, $236 for 2 years, it breaks down to $50 per year to MTA tax,, $20 excise tax, $116 for the actual registration!

Old 11-26-2021, 01:56 AM   #22

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdpok View Post
Just paid renewal in New York, $236 for 2 years, it breaks down to $50 per year to MTA tax,, $20 excise tax, $116 for the actual registration!
I paid for the MTA 45 years ago..are they still sucking off new Yorkers!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:00 AM   #23

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
In NC you値l pay a 6% sales tax based on the net purchase price. Plus the tag fee which is negligible, $15 for a camper and around $40 for motorized. . After first year you値l pay the tag fee plus the county personal property tax. Which is around 6.5 cents per 1000 of appraised value. A coach valued at $100,000 would pay $650 in county property tax. Plus the tag fee. Plus a safety inspection for a motorized coach. The safety inspection will also include an emissions test. Cost is $38. All in, it値l cost $750 for that $100k motor home after the first year.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:24 PM   #24

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
In NC you値l pay a 6% sales tax based on the net purchase price. Plus the tag fee which is negligible, $15 for a camper and around $40 for motorized. . After first year you値l pay the tag fee plus the county personal property tax. Which is around 6.5 cents per 1000 of appraised value. A coach valued at $100,000 would pay $650 in county property tax. Plus the tag fee. Plus a safety inspection for a motorized coach. The safety inspection will also include an emissions test. Cost is $38. All in, it値l cost $750 for that $100k motor home after the first year.
Think I will stay on this side of the mountains.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:50 AM   #25

State: New York
THOR #18343
Only in NY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
I paid for the MTA 45 years ago..are they still sucking off new Yorkers!
Yes! And it痴 more and more as each year passes!
Old 11-27-2021, 02:06 PM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Wow, so I see I can't afford my own RV in some states. Good Lord, I can see why some complain about G spending. Mine is due now and it is $134.75

But to pay it; you must have it inspected something like $22.50; maybe less? and you must have proof of insurance. It is due every year.

I do know this much, when I bought brand new; they charged me all of the fees including taxes based on living in Florida. Then because Florida / Texas has some kind of reciprocating agreement; when it was titled in my name in the state of Texas they calculated the exact difference; I got a surprised bonus refund from La Mesa RV

I might add honesty as another reason why I absolutely love and trust La Mesa RV, Port St. Lucie in Florida. I surely would not have known otherwise.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 02:43 PM   #27

Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Cool

I just renewed the 2 year Florida registration for my 24,000 pound Class A - $158 and change.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:15 PM   #28

State: Arizona
THOR #22044
Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to renew in Arizona I have a 34J 36 foot class a Thor motorcoach any idea how much that would cost I’m coming up on renewal in January
Old 11-27-2021, 03:21 PM   #29

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlyzbldcj View Post
Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to renew in Arizona I have a 34J 36 foot class a Thor motorcoach any idea how much that would cost I知 coming up on renewal in January
Does Post #3 answer your question?

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...06&postcount=3

My best guess based on the above is $1,400/$65,000 of sales price. So value of your RV is missing. If it is $130k you may have to pay $2,800
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-27-2021, 03:27 PM   #30

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
What was the licensing fee on your purchase contract?
In Arizona registration on used vehicles is based on msrp.
$65k vehicle was $1,400 due to msrp being much higher.
Is this every year? I see why you don't worry about gas prices, I am convinced now that I cannot afford to live in Arizona, Nevada, or California PERIOD
Old 11-27-2021, 03:41 PM   #31

THOR #22044
I just checked with MBD in Arizona the estimated renewal on my 36 foot door hurricane is 1055 what the hell how are people in Florida getting away with $200 in North Carolina 134???
Old 11-27-2021, 03:47 PM   #32
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
I just checked with MBD in Arizona the estimated renewal on my 36 foot door hurricane is 1055 what the hell how are people in Florida getting away with $200 in North Carolina 134???
Get your rant right, it's under $50 a year in Florida for registration. Custom tags and local add-ons may push it slightly higher but the $150ish price was for TWO YEARS.

BTW, not the only thing to like about Florida in these trying times.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:06 PM   #33

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Quote:
How did you not know this prior to purchase?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:13 PM   #34

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Is this every year? I see why you don't worry about gas prices, I am convinced now that I cannot afford to live in Arizona, Nevada, or California PERIOD

Our local sales tax is 11.25%
But
You don't pay sales tax on private vehicle purchases.
Buying my 24.1 as used saved me an additional $10,000.
The fee goes down every year of age. I think the tbird is $7+ and it's worth more than the rv.

The tax savings in other states wasn't worth the chiggers and toothlessness, or we'd live there.

Old 11-27-2021, 04:35 PM   #35

THOR #13058
Quote:
Our local sales tax is 11.25%
But
You don't pay sales tax on private vehicle purchases.
Buying my 24.1 as used saved me an additional $10,000.
The fee goes down every year of age. I think the tbird is $7+ and it's worth more than the rv.

The tax savings in other states wasn't worth the chiggers and toothlessness, or we'd live there.
Ok so your Registration fee is yearly based on when bought used; but it decreases every year when renewing registration? (Initial Registration was $1,400.)

I believe Sales tax in Texas is 8.5%, but when you buy used the tax is based on Sales price or the States calculated Presumptive Sales Value (PSV) whichever is higher; regardless of how much you may have actually paid for the used vehicles. The PSV prevents one from making a low ball sales invoice to pay lower taxed when the they have may have actually paid the seller more.

Simply put my registrations fees for each motorcycle, boat, trailer, 4 cars and RV range from $55 to $134 each; they do add up but I don't complain about the registrations fees./ My biggest complaint is having to take each one in to get inspected every year, it is cheap (simple) but a major PITA to me. Akin to having a FLA battery that requires water, I just don't have the time or want to fiddle fart with it.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:04 PM   #36

THOR #13932
No smog or inspections in my Coconino county.
No windshield required if you're wearing even cheap sunglasses.
No seat belts required in the vette or tbird.

Old 11-27-2021, 05:26 PM   #37

THOR #13058
Quote:
No smog or inspections in my Coconino county.
No windshield required if you're wearing even cheap sunglasses.
No seat belts required in the vette or tbird.
I have been in Texas since college and on average I have to get 6 vehicles/Motorcycles, boat inspected every year and I have never failed an inspection. It is just a complete waste of time and becomes a beatdown every year. If they must do; every 3 years would be significant improvement. I would rather even be able to pay my registration for 3 years versus a mere 1 year.

I think it has negative impacts as well, because those that have cars that will not pass inspections know it; so they simply don't register and don't get insurance. Most failures are due to Check Engine Lights which can be trial an error expensive repairs to fix something that you don't even know is a problem but likely a mfg defect.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:45 PM   #38
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I have been in Texas since college and on average I have to get 6 vehicles/Motorcycles, boat inspected every year and I have never failed an inspection. It is just a complete waste of time and becomes a beatdown every year. If they must do; every 3 years would be significant improvement. I would rather even be able to pay my registration for 3 years versus a mere 1 year.

I think it has negative impacts as well, because those that have cars that will not pass inspections know it; so they simply don't register and don't get insurance. Most failures are due to Check Engine Lights which can be trial an error expensive repairs to fix something that you don't even know is a problem but likely a mfg defect.
Good thing you didn't live in Virginia when they started their inspection program: every 6 months (except I think new cars got a year).
Done by independent "certified" shops that always found an issue that needed correcting (like the headlights needed aiming) which was an additional, separate cost. 6 months later the same headlights needed aiming.

Florida had an annual inspection program decades ago done by state workers in state facilities but In 1981, then-Gov. Bob Graham and the Legislature halted motor vehicle inspections after complaints about long lines at state-run inspection stations.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:55 PM   #39

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Ohio motorhome $46 + Deputy Registrar fee and permissive (local) taxes which vary based on the taxing district of the customer. Permissive tax cannot exceed $30.00 per vehicle and may be prorated, by law, by 50% if registering for 7 months or less.

Exhaust system, rusted frame/body, full set of teeth and driving skills are optional.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:17 PM   #40

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Reading through this forum I see many states are gouging their citizens and the folks in those states seem to be okay with that. In Texas, I pay $3.00 a year for the DV plates on my Hurricane. I do have to pay to get it inspected, but that is only $7.50. All other local fees are waived. The plates also gets me a discount on some of the states toll roads. But that perk only extends to one vehicle per household. For my other vehicles, inspection, registration and local fees are about $75.00 per year.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote