Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2016, 09:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 44MT
State: California
THOR #3425
Registration - HELP!

Greetings all, I live in California and purchased my new rig in Arizona last month, took it to California DMV to get it registered and the FUN begin! So, the diesel engine in my Tuscany is certified by EPA emission standards for all states in the Untied States, the Vehicle Emission Control Information plate on the back of the engine says so, however, in order to get the vehicle registered in California, it has to specifically say "meets California standards". I've called the dealer in AZ, who referred me to Thor, who referred me to Freightliner who referred me to Cummings. Cummings sent me a sheet on paper with a bunch of numbers that supposedly correspond with my specific engine, well as you can guess, DMV said NO! Question, has anyone has similar experience living in California and purchasing out of state to be registered in California?

Old 01-22-2016, 03:26 AM   #2

Model: Windsport34F
THOR #3382
CA Registration

Went through the same thing last month. It takes a special person to smile, while handing the CA DMV the additional 6% Sales Tax between Florida, and California.

All those thousands, and rude service, and waiting at the DMV, even with an appointment.

I am curious if you had the coach smogged, prior to going to the DMV. The smog certificate is required for every vehicle purchased outside of CA, even brand new ones. The smog station should be able to input all of the data, i.e.;engine make and model; VIN; and it should come up on their computer. At this point the Inspector will tell you NO INSPECTION is needed, but it IS! The computer does not know it was purchased outside of CA. Have them complete the test. Pay your $75.

With the smog certificate in hand, the local DMV should only need the RV there to visually confirm all of the #'s on the chassis. Pay your $15 GRAND, and get your tag!
Old 01-22-2016, 04:08 AM   #3

THOR #3425
Registration Frustaion

Thank you Winder1, I will look into getting the smog certificate. I assume that you also purchased out of state, if so does your rig have anything on the "Vehicle Emission Control Information" tag (on the back, near radiator) indicating that the vehicle meets California Emissions standards?

See the attached photo of my Vehicle Emission Control Information tag for your reference..

Randell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160120_123901.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1325  
Old 01-22-2016, 05:24 AM   #4

THOR #3382
I bought in Florida. Not a diesel. Ours said 50 state compliant, and the DMV person said that was perfect. We had a 3 hour long disagreement over 2 visits to get them to register it as a 2015, because it was built in 10/14, as a 2015 model. I finally told them forget it, I'm taking it to be stored in AZ. Suddenly, they couldn't let that check walk out the door, and they agreed to everything.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:01 AM   #5

THOR #3425
Yeah, as you can see mine says that the vehicle complies with US EPA regulations, but Cal. DMV says that that is not good enough....The saga continues
Old 01-22-2016, 04:48 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Move out of California Ha Ha just kidding. Its amazing how government does everything it can do to make it difficult as they drain our resources. Good luck I feel your pain.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:06 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #1226
California has the highest gas tax. Last year instead of raising the gas tax they tax the refineries. They called it a Carbon Emissions TAX. That raises the cost of gas by 12 to 15 cents per gallon and they tax that too.

Now, since people are buying more electric cars, they want to tax miles driven per year to get more money.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:24 PM   #8

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
in the back of the Motorhome magazine is an advertisement from an attorney to register your vehicle in another state to save taxes. Perhaps it will prevent this issue as well.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:09 AM   #9

THOR #3382
Ca dmv

My suggestion would be to try a different DMV office. It's truly amazing the amount of your time the DMV wastes, and the incompetence of many of those working there.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:48 AM   #10

THOR #3425
Thank you all for your help and input. After much research and several calls, turns out that the folks in AZ simply failed to put the correct sticker on he vehicle, if the vehicle is to be sold and registered in California the emissions sticker must say meets California Emissions Standards, in addition to US standards. The Cummings engine family for my rig are ALL certified for California use. I should be getting the sticker next week. Lesson learned, Check, Double Check and then Check again!!