Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2021, 03:35 AM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
What year is your motorhome?
And what mh is it?
Does it really matter? He has standard 19.5" MH tires used on hundreds of different model MHs.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 11:07 AM   #22

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Only the 34/35ft Thor MC plant 750 coaches come close. MY Hurricane has 245/70-19.5 rated at 4060/3750 lbs on a 12,000 rear axle. Thor MC recommends 82 psi all around with a 110 psi max sidewall rating. The max speed ratings is 81 mph on the Sumitomo tires.
So you might have wiggle room, most don't unless they have 16 ply

Stupid idea to regrove a motor home tire, right up there with a recap

Way to much dammage when failures occur

There are exceptions to everything regarding obviously

Again most single axle motor homes don't have a lot of excess capacity on either axle

That is a fact
Old 07-03-2021, 11:11 AM   #23

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
Group Seems to be confusing regrooved and recapped tires. "Regroovable" RV and commercial tires can be safely regrooved. Automobile tires are not made to be regrooved and that would weaken the tire and be unsafe, (and illegal)

Retreading is removing the the worn tread from a tire carcass and adding another cap, those caps do fail and are seen lying along the highway.
You are correct in that most of the road gators seen on hot days are caps

New treads come off as well if over heated
Old 07-05-2021, 07:48 PM   #24

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
Unless you put in some serious miles, your tires will need to be replaced based on age before they lose thread depth. The rubber slowly ages and loses strength. Most sources recommend that you replace RV tires, or semi tractor trailer every 5-6 years regardless of miles. The NHTSA recommends 6 years; my tire guy also recommended 6.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:03 PM   #25

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
That means that when they wear to a certain level they can be retreaded just like semi tires. Most good 19.5 and 22 tires are that way.
No. Regrooving does not add rubber. It extends the existing grooves into the existing rubber.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:11 PM   #26

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
But what did that little 850 weigh: 1600 pounds?
About. I had a 68. The problem was in wet snow the front wheel wells would fill with snow so I couldn’t steer. And the stuff turned to ice so was a bugger to remove. Had it in CT. Suspect Maine gets similar wet snow.

Replaced it wit a 70 VW, which was all around awesome and brought my little family to ID, where I dwell today. And only own 4x4s…except RV which is almost as good w dual rears.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:10 PM   #27

Model: Venetian
State: Michigan
THOR #19687
Don't recommend regrooving

I agree that regrooving is not retreading, and is often okay. The tires are built with enough rubber that the grooves can be cut deeper after normal tire wear makes the grooves too shallow. But I don't think the narrow sipes can be effectively recut, and these help with breaking. RVs (mine is a dually with no tag axle) don't have all the extra tires that trucks have, and I'd worry about a reduction of breaking action. So I'd opt for safety and replace the tires, even if the tires were worn down in only a couple years so that rubber deterioration wasn't yet a factor.

You might still be able to sell them as used tires, as most trucks can use them on the trailers after regrooving with no problem.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:38 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
About. I had a 68. The problem was in wet snow the front wheel wells would fill with snow so I couldn’t steer. And the stuff turned to ice so was a bugger to remove. Had it in CT. Suspect Maine gets similar wet snow.

Replaced it wit a 70 VW, which was all around awesome and brought my little family to ID, where I dwell today. And only own 4x4s…except RV which is almost as good w dual rears.
I've noticed the same problem with my Smart in deep snow: it can't sterr worth a... darn!
But with rear engine/rear wheel drive: it is as good as any VW Beetle was in the snow!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:44 PM   #29

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I've noticed the same problem with my Smart in deep snow: it can't sterr worth a... darn!

But with rear engine/rear wheel drive: it is as good as any VW Beetle was in the snow!

A while back I saw a classic beetle for sale that already was set up for towing. I’d only recently bought my Wrangler though so passed on it. It would be an awesome towed though…
Old 07-08-2021, 04:06 PM   #30

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Tennessee
THOR #17583
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlyzbldcj View Post
these were on it when I bought it though....where is the best place to buy RV tires? Discount Tire does not sell them.
Everyone seems to think "regrooving" is not a good procedure for RVs, and I agree. If you are shopping for new tires I would recommend Walmart.com. As A place to shop. I normally buy mine on line at walmart.com and than have them install them. (You must take the online receipt to them for the lower price mounting and warranty). I like their mounting and balancing policy. And their warranty. I am sur many will laugh but hey I mam cheap and not ashamed of it. It is my money I like to keep as much as I can. Check with your local Walmart if they do RVs.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:13 PM   #31
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
A while back I saw a classic beetle for sale that already was set up for towing. I’d only recently bought my Wrangler though so passed on it. It would be an awesome towed though…
They would make for a mighty cool Toad...

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1625760782
Attached Images

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:10 AM   #32
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I spent 10 years in northern Maine where we used studded snow tires for 6 months a year. I wore the 7.25-13 Michelin radials studded snow tires out in two season. I had them recapped and re-studded twice before Bandag refused to recap them again. I had to buy an new set of Armstrong 6.50-13 bias ply snow tires. It was getting hard to buy 13 inch snow tires for the 1967 Fiat 850 Sports Coupe. When I moved south I was able to buy an new set of Pirelli (185R-13), which I had recapped once. I put 143,000 miles on that little car and never had a tire problem.
A car is not an RV. I have run cold processed recap tires on a car. I would not use them in 100* to 105* temps.