Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2020, 08:51 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyRV View Post
From reading this forum, I was under the impression that you can call Thor directly for warranty repairs and they would send you the parts so you can fix it yourself or take it somewhere to have it fixed. I called this week and was told that I needed to go to the local dealership to get them to order the parts even if I were to do the work myself. Did I just get the wrong guy on the phone or has something changed? I called the owner number: (877) 855-2867

I need the Axxera radio replaced and the rear cover over the end of the awning is missing, which is apparently a common occurrence.
I guess it could depend on what it is? But if it is warranty work, I don't think ANYBODY is going to ship you a new radio without a authorized dealer saying it needs to be replaced. Maybe some folks was saying going to Thor directly in Indiana and/or if you had issues with a known repair at a dealer and it was going nowhere fast; then you call Thor directly; they may send you the part directly because they know they have a Dealer frustrated with you and you frustrated with Dealer. They may see as a good way to end the standoff?

Not familiar with a rear cover for awning, but on a missing part that certainly is on the selling dealer if new. Two months after my purchase and reading the owners manual, I discovered #1, I had wrong owners manual for my serial number, missing bathroom key, and missing awning retract key. I couldn't practically go back to the original dealer (1,500 miles); so I called Winnebago. They sent me new personalize owners manual directly to me, they said I had to go to authorized dealer to order the parts. When I did Winnebago took a ticket number; but made the original selling dealer pay for missing parts. The local dealer invoiced the selling dealer. The selling dealer did agree to pay for the missing parts as they believed me. Good things I was singing the selling dealer praises like a canary right after the sale to Winnebago The parts are at my local dealer, but I have not had time to go pick up. I figure I wait to have local dealer do something and do all at the same time. Thus far everytime I have good transaction with any dealer, I over thank them, send positive google reviews and call Winnebago and them a good story. I figure if I ever get in a bind, I am sure they will help me thre best they can but there is only so much a dealer and mfg can do after a certain point or warranty expires.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:29 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Montana
THOR #16625
The awning cover was there when I bought it, but fell off. It is a known issue and others here have had Thor send them new ones. I did talk to the company that now supports the Axxera radio and have an email chain saying it needs to be replaced.
The problem is that I didn't even get a chance to explain what was broken or what I needed. I said I needed to order some parts for warranty repair and he said that he couldn't do that. I had to take it into a dealership and have them order the parts. I have heard the exact opposite on this forum including the OP, so I was just curious if something had changed.

I wanted to do it myself because the only dealership here has a reputation for being slow to order the parts, blaming the manufacturer for the delay when the reality is they didn't even order them. I have heard it from others and saw it first hand when they did the setup to tow my truck.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:00 PM   #23

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyRV View Post
The awning cover was there when I bought it, but fell off. It is a known issue and others here have had Thor send them new ones. I did talk to the company that now supports the Axxera radio and have an email chain saying it needs to be replaced.
The problem is that I didn't even get a chance to explain what was broken or what I needed. I said I needed to order some parts for warranty repair and he said that he couldn't do that. I had to take it into a dealership and have them order the parts. I have heard the exact opposite on this forum including the OP, so I was just curious if something had changed.

I wanted to do it myself because the only dealership here has a reputation for being slow to order the parts, blaming the manufacturer for the delay when the reality is they didn't even order them. I have heard it from others and saw it first hand when they did the setup to tow my truck.
That certainly explains it a lot better. Maybe some Thor owner that has gone through can provide you better context for how they dealt with Thor for parts.

I did a quick search and Thor's website & FAQ says the below.

How do I obtain parts for my motorhome?
Please contact your local Thor Motor Coach Service Center for all your service needs. Thor Motor Coach has hundreds of authorized Service Centers. To locate your nearest Service Center online click here or contact us directly.

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owners/faqs/

I suspect what I alluded to earlier was correct, that if you have special circumstance or issue with a specific dealer they may try to resolve.

Regardless for Radio if you are dealing with the official service support for Axxerra radio why can't they replace under warranty?

You may wish to call Thor a few more times hoping to get a different person? If all 3 tell you the same thing I would follow those instruction ASAP while it is still under warranty.

If the dealer you think is slow or poor service is the only game in town, I would go down in person to speak with a General Manager and try to build a relationship. I would NOT criticize their service but let them know what you pain is and ask if he can help. Let him now you wish positive relationship. Throw him a bone, if they do anything positive no matter how little throw a bone back.

Some dealers are not possible to deal with it so I get that. I had one refuse to even accept my coach because I did not buy from them. My current dealer charges $75 more per/hr if you did not buy from them; but they actually have charged me the same rate as if I bought from them. That is because I didn't have to pay anything for the warranty work; but because I built relationship; when I wanted that Onan AGS installed they did at a very good rate. I love it and I did more than tell them, I took a few minutes to send positive review that you can be sure their management sees.

Good luck
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #24

State: Arkansas
THOR #7075
If I understand that statement, I would say Thor only builds entry level units. They really don’t offer any customization. Maybe a few options in dining, Or seating, but not much else. To get beyond that, you need to go to a private company coach builder.
Maybe I’m misinformed, wife says I am a lot.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:36 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
If I understand that statement, I would say Thor only builds entry level units. They really don’t offer any customization. Maybe a few options in dining, Or seating, but not much else. To get beyond that, you need to go to a private company coach builder.
Maybe I’m misinformed, wife says I am a lot.
I'd like to see the reaction when you tell the owner who spent "500 Large" on a Tuscany; that he bought an entry level motorhome...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:51 PM   #26

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
Good to hear. I have had good contacts with Thor.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:58 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
My personal experience with Thor was good...
It was the dealership that raised my blood pressure!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:13 PM   #28

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I'd like to see the reaction when you tell the owner who spent "500 Large" on a Tuscany; that he bought an entry level motorhome...
https://media.giphy.com/media/l2JHS7...4TgQ/giphy.gif
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2020, 11:18 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860