Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2021, 01:30 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: California
THOR #3559
Replacement Battery

What is the best replacement battery? Costco sells Interstate for reasonable price but reviews say that they don't last more than a year. This is the original battery from when we bought our Freedom Elite in May 2015.

Appreciate your input and advice.

Old 02-22-2021, 01:45 AM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer3 View Post
What is the best replacement battery? Costco sells Interstate for reasonable price but reviews say that they don't last more than a year. This is the original battery from when we bought our Freedom Elite in May 2015.

You needing chassis or coach batteries?
If for coach be sure they are true deep cycle, not dual purpose or marine type.
If there's CCA, CA or MCA numbers listed on the top they are not true deep cycle batteries. You want group 24, 27 or 31 batteries with the most aH (amp hours) that will fit into your battery compartment. Coach batteries typically last 4-5 years if water levels are maintained, topped off with distilled water & not allowed to be discharged below 50% too often.
If the chassis battery is needed you want the most CCA or CA (cold cranking amps or cranking amps) you can find. Chassis batteries should last 5-7+ years like most any other vehicle you've owned.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:53 AM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Next question is "Flooded; or AGM"?
Old 02-22-2021, 01:54 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #3559
Thanks! It's the coach battery, group 27.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:58 AM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've got 27s in mine. A pair of 31s will just fit; they'll give me between 15%; and 20% more capacity
Old 02-22-2021, 02:08 AM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Thanks! It's the coach battery, group 27.
Most come with 27. Measure the OEM battery to be sure and as Bob said if you can go bigger by all means go bigger.
Asking what are the best batteries is a very diverse topic. A lot of the answer depends on how you use your rig.
I have two 27 flooded in my ACE. For the few nights of dry camping we do at any one time they suffice for us.
If you are into extended boon docking and don't want to run your genny for long periods recharging I would look into possibly going AGM's.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:58 AM   #7

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:

I purchased two Costco Interstate FLA Deep Cycle 2.5 years ago to power the House (not for the chassis)
They are connected to my 300watt solar system
I boon-dock frequently using my inverter
So they charge and put out power, just like a deep cycle is meant for.
The only maintenance is keeping them watered properly

And if these two go out any time soon, I’m ok with purchasing two more.
They’re cheap, they fit under my steps without any modifications, and they have performed for me.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:41 AM   #8

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:

The most common reasons for flooded lead acid batteries to fail is the lack of maintenance or discharging them below 50%. I learned the hard way that letting the water level get below the plates is going to kill the batteries. For years now I have maintained a reminder that repeats once a month in a calendar app reminding me to check the water level. They cost a little more but I would suggest you get AGM batteries and then you want have to worry about the water level in the batteries.

Bob
Old 02-22-2021, 01:29 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I replaced both of my FLA coach batteries with FLA batteries but I added the Flow-Rite dual battery watering system. It makes watering them easy. No more removing the caps and filling each cell. Plus the system tops them to the top of each cell without overflow. If you go with that watering system, be sure to also buy the hand squeeze pump for that system.

Paul
Old 02-22-2021, 01:36 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Since I'm REALLY lazy : I'm going with AGMs this time around.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:21 PM   #11

Model: Chateau 28Z
THOR #3430
Battery life

Quote:

I have 2 deep cycle Interstate golf cart 6 volt batteries in my RV and they are 6+ years old. One of these just is showing a dead cell.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:23 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds
State: Georgia
THOR #8717
Bob,

Is there any issue going to an AGM battery as far as the charging system in the RV is concerned? Does it take a special charger?

Dan
Old 03-03-2021, 09:12 PM   #13

THOR #12698
If you are using solar to charge the house batteries and switch to AGM, your solar charger will need to be switched to the AGM charging mode if it has one.

Paul
Old 03-04-2021, 12:34 AM   #14

State: North Carolina
THOR #13548
Quote:

Interstate has a new deep cycle battery for RVs in different sizes...called EFB and is warranted for two years. We will go with this one on next battery purchase for our Freedom Elite.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:37 AM   #15

Model: outlaw 37rb
THOR #5223
Battery Warranty

A friend toured a battery factory in Mexico. They slapped on lables for several companies on the same batteries AND the 12 month, 36 month, etc. lables on those SAME batteries. That helped me decide before buying my next battery.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:45 AM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
[QUOTE=Danny boy;279969]Bob,

Is there any issue going to an AGM battery as far as the charging system in the RV is concerned? Does it take a special charger?
Dan[/QUOTE
Nope: no charging issues.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:35 PM   #17

THOR #13548
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustin View Post
A friend toured a battery factory in Mexico. They slapped on lables for several companies on the same batteries AND the 12 month, 36 month, etc. lables on those SAME batteries. That helped me decide before buying my next battery.

I think your friend may be misinformed. Per Interstate, "If a battery is manufactured in Mexico it is required by law to have a sticker on the top of it that says “Made in Mexico”. If there is not sticker, it is made in the USA.”

The new Interstate RV batteries have more cranking amps than standard deep cycle batteries in same size (24, 27, etc) at not much higher price. They advertise that you get twice the cycle life. Seems like a good choice to me.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:40 PM   #18

Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
State: Texas
THOR #4181
2017 Axis House batteries

Just info. … we’re about to change out our House Batteries on our 2017 Axis 25.2. Chatted with Thor Customer support and received the attached info. We’ll be going with 2 x Duracell SLI27MDC Group 27 12 volt deep cycle ( This battery is not recommended for cranking. That’s only deep cycle … not for cranking … or for a combination cranking / deep cycle)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Original 2017 Axis House Batteries.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	28906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Duracell SLI27MDC Group 27 12 volt deep cycle.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	28907  

TerryJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:01 AM   #19

Model: Windsport 29m
THOR #9553
Quote:

I changed the batteries in our 2018 Windsport29m after almost 3 years. They were flooded batts and I got the AGM style from my NAPA store. I was underwhelmed at the length of time they stayed above 12 volts for double the price AND they never seemed to fully charge. I returned them and got The group 27 Marine & Derp Cycle batts and they are great. I also got the system that you plug into the top fill holes and fill by a hand pump. LOVE IT!!! So easy and keeps them perfectly full.!!!!! Bob Trice
Old 03-05-2021, 01:14 PM   #20

THOR #12698
Hi Bob Trice
I too installed the Flow Rite dual battery watering system on my two flooded lead acid house batteries. It makes life easier to fill both batteries at the same time. No more removing the caps and filling each cell.

Paul