Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2020, 12:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 27R
State: Alabama
THOR #17652
Replacing factory installed door locks

I am very new to RVing and have read many articles that replacing the factory installed door lock is important. I have been researching options, but it is very confusing about determining which one will fit my 2020 Four Winds 27R. Any recommendations? Is this something I can do myself, or should I have my RV dealer or a locksmith install? Thanks in advance for the great suggestions!!

Old 02-04-2020, 04:36 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I can not speak about your model, however when I had my ACE I had to replace the lock. Its easy to do if you find a need to do that. Remove the 4 screws from the inside and the rest will fall in place. I took my lock to CW as I needed a replacement while on the road. Anyway CW had a few different locks, I got one that would fit the hole in the door and the back set. Again easy to do.
Good luck
Old 02-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheltieTraveler View Post
I am very new to RVing and have read many articles that replacing the factory installed door lock is important. I have been researching options, but it is very confusing about determining which one will fit my 2020 Four Winds 27R. Any recommendations? Is this something I can do myself, or should I have my RV dealer or a locksmith install? Thanks in advance for the great suggestions!!
Other than the defective Trimark locks, did the articles say WHY it was important to replace the locks?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:55 PM   #4
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheltieTraveler View Post
Regarding your lockset...when you remove the interior black plate..you will find stamped on the shiny metal plate, a number...there may be a tag with the name Dexter..make sure there dare no numbers hidden by the sticker....if so, record the number and call Trimark 1-800-431-8616.
Trimark, it seems, makes the majority of locksets for RV's.
BEFORE YOU CALL TRIMARK...the easy way to find out if you have the Pot Metal Plunger which is the source of the majority problems...is to touch it with a magnet [/B]while you have the cover plate off the interior of the lockset.
If the magnet (a small refrigerator magnet works)...sticks..you will know that your lockset has a steel plunger rather than the problematic pot metal one.
IF YOU FIND THAT YOU HAVE A POTENTIAL ISSUE ...tell the lady (possibly Abby) that you have concerns regarding the lockset on your new RV.
They may, simply, send you a new steel plunger. A new lockset costs $150 including shipping...and they may defer you to your dealer for replacement.
ANYHOW...that is all the up to date info for you...as we received our new lockset in the mail a few days ago, after our 4 yr old lockset failed!

There is another feed on this forum regarding same and an abundance of information regarding same !

good luck !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:20 PM   #5

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 36RSB3
State: Florida
THOR #17449
Well I just changed out the locks on the 5th wheel. My main reason was to get everything keyed a like. Most all RV use the same key for storage compartments. Anyway I was able to get it down to two keys for everything. I worked with RVlock.com. Great company. They answered E-Mails quickly. The order showed up on time. Changing out the locks are easy and I had everything done in under an hour.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:40 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Your rig is a 2020? If I remember right I think 2018 Thor was using an “improved”Tri Mark with steelplunger. I would be surprised if your 2020 still has a potmetal lock
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:51 PM   #7

THOR #17652
Hi! Several of the articles talked about security concerns, that many factory lock keys share same codes. I should have noted that a keyless lock was the type we were looking into. Although I have also read that while at reputable rv parks, theft is not a common problem, but for other places, that is where our concern lies. Have you ever dealt with security problems? Just wondering how others manage these sort of issues. Thank you so much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Other than the defective Trimark locks, did the articles say WHY it was important to replace the locks?
Old 02-09-2020, 01:54 PM   #8

THOR #17652
Thank you for the link! I looked into the site and think they have a keyless lock that can work. Happy travels!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM41261 View Post
Well I just changed out the locks on the 5th wheel. My main reason was to get everything keyed a like. Most all RV use the same key for storage compartments. Anyway I was able to get it down to two keys for everything. I worked with RVlock.com. Great company. They answered E-Mails quickly. The order showed up on time. Changing out the locks are easy and I had everything done in under an hour.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:56 PM   #9

THOR #17652
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Regarding your lockset...when you remove the interior black plate..you will find stamped on the shiny metal plate, a number...there may be a tag with the name Dexter..make sure there dare no numbers hidden by the sticker....if so, record the number and call Trimark 1-800-431-8616.
BEFORE YOU CALL TRIMARK...the easy way to find out if you have the Pot Metal Plunger which is the source of the majority problems...is to touch it with a magnet [/B]while you have the cover plate off the interior of the lockset.
If the magnet (a small refrigerator magnet works)...sticks..you will know that your lockset has a steel plunger rather than the problematic pot metal one.
IF YOU FIND THAT YOU HAVE A POTENTIAL ISSUE ...tell the lady (possibly Abby) that you have concerns regarding the lockset on your new RV.
They may, simply, send you a new steel plunger. A new lockset costs $150 including shipping...and they may defer you to your dealer for replacement.
ANYHOW...that is all the up to date info for you...as we received our new lockset in the mail a few days ago, after our 4 yr old lockset failed!

There is another feed on this forum regarding same and an abundance of information regarding same !

good luck !
Thank you so much for the information...I am getting educated! So many nuances to learn...thankfully this forum is here to help with that! Safe journeys!!!
Old 02-09-2020, 07:56 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post

good luck !
Don't you love being a VEGAS/AXIS LOCK EXPERT?... We actually carry a spare lock now so we have a "fix" in case it happens again on a distant road. What did you do on the damage to your door frame?
Old 02-09-2020, 09:51 PM   #11
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Don't you love being a VEGAS/AXIS LOCK EXPERT?... We actually carry a spare lock now so we have a "fix" in case it happens again on a distant road. What did you do on the damage to your door frame?
Yeah ! ain't it FUN !! We have not installed the new lock yet, as it has been so doggoned cold...our old bones don't want to do anything outdoors !!
That is, probably, a good idea to have an extra lock on hand … that stinks !!
I know one thing for sure...We are going to be soooo gentle when closing that door....and I thought we were pretty good with it anyway !!
We have not addressed the frame yet...hoping we can get new trim for it...again..have not looked at it too closely...I would guess we will be able to order through CW.

Looking forward to WARM WEATHER CAMPING !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:56 PM   #12

Brand: Keystone
State: North Carolina
THOR #5391
A thief around RVs often has a key that fits. He is getting in anyway and a key is better than the crowbar that will ruin expensive doors. Don’t even want to think of replacing the eight (8) storage doors! I hope if being robbed they have a key.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:01 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
A thief around RVs often has a key that fits. He is getting in anyway and a key is better than the crowbar that will ruin expensive doors. Don’t even want to think of replacing the eight (8) storage doors! I hope if being robbed they have a key.
We went ahead and changed the storage locks to a cylinder lock, just so not EVERYONE would have a key and make it just a "little" harder. (Even though a large flat screw driver can get you in)
Old 02-13-2020, 03:04 AM   #14
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
I carry very comfortable folding chairs, and nice low use tools from Harbor Freight. If they get taken by a thief, they don't cost much to replace. And if a thief takes them, they are not so smart, or really desperate.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:51 AM   #15

THOR #14698
I have one question for the “old” salt ( consider ourselves in this group ) RV’rs on this forum, how many of you have been broken into?
I gotta say in my 38 + years camping with my wife (if you add in camping time as youngster with parents your over 55) I can not remember one instance where we were ripped off. That includes camping in tents, vans, Travel trailers and motor homes. We have driven off for the day leaving chairs, coolers, grills, gas stoves etc. sitting out in the campground and nobody has ever helped themselves. We have left RV ‘s for the day and nobody has opened the basement storage or broke into the unit. If changing your locks will make you feel more secure, go for it.
Our experience has been campers young and old are for the most part good people. Might get a loud rowdy group in the campground now and then but they are honest folk.
We have had operator error on a couple occasions driven off and left the cooler and another time left the chairs, but ripped off, knock on my wooden head hasn’t happened.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 02-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #16

Brand: Dutchmen
State: Michigan
THOR #2904
I you are worried about the storage compartments, there are companies that can provide locks keyed the same as your entry doors. I attended the Forest River rally in Indiana a couple of years ago and a vendor was there to do it. RV dealers have universal keys that will open every unit they sell, and sometimes they get away from them, but I have had RV's since 1969 and never have I had a problem with someone getting in.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:47 PM   #17

Brand: Keystone
State: North Carolina
THOR #5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by capeharj View Post
I you are worried about the storage compartments, there are companies that can provide locks keyed the same as your entry doors. I attended the Forest River rally in Indiana a couple of years ago and a vendor was there to do it. RV dealers have universal keys that will open every unit they sell, and sometimes they get away from them, but I have had RV's since 1969 and never have I had a problem with someone getting in.
Better they get in with a key than a crowbar
Old 02-13-2020, 03:00 PM   #18

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
I always use a pad lock on my tent
Old 02-13-2020, 03:21 PM   #19

THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
I always use a pad lock on my tent
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 02-14-2020, 01:37 AM   #20

Model: Thor Ace 30.1
State: Iowa
THOR #821
Factory installed door locks

Trimark would not sell me just a part, I had to purchase the entire lock set. The improved model with the steel plunger was over $200!
I told Trimark the original equipment was a safety hazard, to be trapped in your camper unable to exit in case of fire or medical emergency.
If you live in Canada they will send you a free replacement lock because the old model has been recalled in Canada.