Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2019, 02:16 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetdude View Post
So happy the Forum exists for Thor owners to share their experiences. Most of the salespeople and dealers don’t know as much as a person who owns one. They have so many different manufacturers and styles it’s next to impossible to know each and every floor plan and what will work and what won’t. By talking with owners who have been thru it helps. I looked at your floor plan and see the shelf behind the sofa. On the 27.2 we have a shelf but in addition there’s a box that contains the swivel base outside TV. That puts it a good 7” away from the wall right now. I’m finding out that I’m not going to be able to do anything. It’s a shame since that jack-knife sofa is really uncomfortable. I have a bad back from laying carpet 45 years not to mention I’ve been diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic prostate cancer that has spread to the bones and other areas of my body. That’s why I retired last summer and we bought our RV to travel. It’s our first RV and we’ve learned a lot the hard way. Our dealer went thru the walk-thru when we purchased the unit in about an hour and had us sign off. We’ve had several issues and a list of 18 things for them to fix when we go back home in May. We live in the Kansas City area and have spent the winter in Austin, Texas. We bought the 27.2 because of the size and how our driveway is. I was afraid a longer unit might not clear a telephone pole by the street next to the garage. Plus the dealer wouldn’t let us drive a longer one home to see it it would fit. We were only 30 miles from them. Thank you so much for responding to my question and issue. God Bless you and your family. Cliff
when I did the mod to a coach like yours,... heres what I found and how I over came the situation...the box behind the sofa for the tv is a wood box over the metal box.... I removed the wood part and gained 3'' .. also ran the shelf down my table saw and cut it back..... you have to add a little support to the metal box to hold it in there.....when the top of the sofa is 3'' away,... the bottom is more like 8''... it's do able with just a few mods

Old 03-28-2019, 04:10 PM   #22

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
We went with these guys in our Axis, a little more expensive than the RecPro ones--and fit in 68":
https://shop4seats.com/rv-furniture/...-recliner.html
I really like the couch you chose
1) all three seat belts can still be used
2) i can still lay on the couch for a nap, or in a recliner

Question...
- What color did you choose to match your front seats? it looks like Beachwood is the closest match?
Old 03-28-2019, 05:43 PM   #23
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I really like the couch you chose
1) all three seat belts can still be used
2) i can still lay on the couch for a nap, or in a recliner

Question...
- What color did you choose to match your front seats? it looks like Beachwood is the closest match?
We went with leather in chocolate (yeah which made it even more expensive).

I picked up this couch for both of those exact reasons--especially #1: didn't want to reduce the # of belted seats.

You can order some fabric samples and match it up that way.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:54 PM   #24

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
How deep was your slide? I was looking at those for a future upgrade. It says you need at least 36 1/4” depth for the slide I believe..... including the 3” for wall clearance.

I’m going to be around 33” and just wondering if I can make it work if I’m a little over 3” short.

Also concerned about the weight for the slide out. I will need to weigh the current couch components but the 67” recliner is all most 200lbs.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:33 PM   #25

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #13710
My installer added a 3" aluminum tube to the front of the slide where the couch was installed, he wasn't comfortable with the overhang.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:23 PM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arkansas
THOR #7075
Thomas Payne makes outstanding quality RV Furniture.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:45 PM   #27

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
that seem pushed pretty far back… does it still recline?
Yes they recline. They are actually a bit forward on the slide. They were set to have enough clearance in the back to recline fully. You only need a couple inches. We removed the shelf that was behind the sofa.

We took off the rubber facing Thor put on the slide and added a 1x3 all the way around the face of the slide. See attached picture for some of Thor's fine saws-all finish carpentry. In the second picture you can see the new facing before we painted it. We had the local Home Depot match the color of the cabinets.

The front of the frames overhang the front of the slide by an inch or so. I moved the front feet of the frames back to the second hole that is provided and used a couple of the lag bots that held the old sofa down through the center cross bars in the frame to keep them from moving. No problems with them staying put so far. The center console appears to overhang, but its actually supported on the slide floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4664.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	16523   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4681.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	16524  

Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:54 PM   #28

Model: Tuscany 42HQ
State: Ontario
THOR #7504
Went to Brad & Hall and purchased Flexsteel theatre recliner and 2 captains chairs. I can now easily drive 6 hrs without squirming. Worth the money.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:51 PM   #29

Model: Challenger GT
State: British Columbia
THOR #5323
Theatre seating that turns into a bed

Would love to replace the uncomfortable jackknife sofa. On our 2015 Challenger GT we have the sofa with attached recliner for a total of 96 inches. Occasionally we have overnight guests so would like the best of both worlds. Anyone have any ideas?
Cheers
Old 04-07-2019, 12:12 AM   #30

State: Arkansas
THOR #6880
We did this

We have a 30" Ace. We replaced the sofa with a Lazy Boy loveseat wall hugger.
It works great!!!
Old 04-07-2019, 08:37 PM   #31

THOR #13831
RecPro as well

Super happy with our choice and really comfortable. Had to add a short extension to the front edge of the slide and used a piece of hardwood and drilled and tapped screws to attach it to the metal edge. also did a little sanitizing to the sides where the slide walls are to cover the openings. Also in the center cubby hole of the seats I made a pass-thru using 2" plastic electrical conduit 90 degree elbow to install a power strip that has built in USB ports. The power strip slides down inside the tube and can be pulled out to access the power plugs and the USB ports are always exposed. I installed a 4 square socket cover over the junction box in the corner of the slide and added a receptacle to plug the power strip into. Makes things so much easier when trying to charge a phone or tablet. No cords hanging down from above.
Not sure why the pics are rotated

GLOBE ELECTRIC 78249 Cord/Strip, Black
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071X9XNWR..._CTLQCbWXHZTA5
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3782.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	16537   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3770.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	16538  

Name:	IMG_3767.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	16539   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4807.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	16540  

Old 04-09-2019, 12:38 AM   #32
Ron

Model: Hurricane 31D
THOR #1675
Sofa Project

This is our sofa project. . .

The original Knife sofa bed

Name:	IMG_2804.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	16573

The new Love Seat

Name:	IMG_2799.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	16574

Old couch removed

Name:	IMG_2808.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	16575

Underneath of new Love Seat

Name:	Typical bottom of Loveseat.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	16577

New Love Seat in Place

Name:	IMG_2820.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	16576

Name:	DSC04319.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	16578
Old 04-11-2019, 02:25 AM   #33

Model: 35SD
State: Virginia
THOR #9115
2017 35SD Super C Theater Seating Install

Just installed today. Measure width and check for minimum door width with manufacturer for install. Old 60 inch sofa/bed is for sale locally. Excellent condition. No tears, rips, marks. Warrenton, Va.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	16C31746-1045-4760-92E6-5AE4014E5BDC.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	16620   Click image for larger version

Name:	A225BC5C-A596-4EC9-9992-2C4C5B0ED6E8.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	16621  

Name:	13AFB884-C548-401B-BA96-055993EE5070.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	16622   Click image for larger version

Name:	E9F431A5-85BB-491A-A410-71FA48D539D6.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	16623  

Old 04-12-2019, 02:14 AM   #34

State: Kansas
THOR #14456
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
when I did the mod to a coach like yours,... heres what I found and how I over came the situation...the box behind the sofa for the tv is a wood box over the metal box.... I removed the wood part and gained 3'' .. also ran the shelf down my table saw and cut it back..... you have to add a little support to the metal box to hold it in there.....when the top of the sofa is 3'' away,... the bottom is more like 8''... it's do able with just a few mods

Hi this is Cliff. Sorry I haven’t responded earlier to your response about our jack-knife sofa replacement with wall hugger recliners. Thanks for your information about removing the wooden box and supporting the metal box holding the outside TV. That’s Genius! I thought I was going to up a creek without a paddle. You have given me hope! That’s why I hold the faith! I haven’t been on the forum for a week or so due to having to return hope to see my doctor. Good news is my cancer is in remission. I’m learning to turn everything over to the Lord and he has truly worked miracles and has Blessed me and my wife. She’s also a lung cancer survivor. Thank you Lord! I’m definitely going to proceed with replacing the jack-knife for wall huggers. I think that jack-knife is for a much younger man that doesn’t need the support this old dude needs! LOL! God Bless you and your family. I hope you’re enjoying your RVing experience!
Old 04-12-2019, 03:04 AM   #35

THOR #9115
Update- Sold the original sofa/bed locally 4/11/19. Love the new theater seating which easily fit through the 24 inch wide door. The theater seating comes in 6 pieces and is easily installed. Best decision we have done to our coach to date!
Old 04-13-2019, 12:42 AM   #36

State: Idaho
THOR #11367
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinVa View Post
Update- Sold the original sofa/bed locally 4/11/19. Love the new theater seating which easily fit through the 24 inch wide door. The theater seating comes in 6 pieces and is easily installed. Best decision we have done to our coach to date!
That's looks great. Where Did you buy your new recliners?
Old 04-13-2019, 12:59 AM   #37

THOR #9115
Quote:
Originally Posted by srambus View Post
That's looks great. Where Did you buy your new recliners?
I found them on Camping World’s site. Although there were reviews that read it took6 weeks to receive the product or that no tracking numbers were provided, I found the opposite. Delivery was in approximately one week and tracking numbers were provided. The six pieces were packed well and delivered without damage.
They were not cheap but they are very nice quality and very comfortable. They are running a sale with $179.99 off the list price.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:32 PM   #38

Model: ACE 27.2
THOR #15058
27.2 couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetdude View Post
Hi this is Cliff. Sorry I haven’t responded earlier to your response about our jack-knife sofa replacement with wall hugger recliners. Thanks for your information about removing the wooden box and supporting the metal box holding the outside TV. That’s Genius! I thought I was going to up a creek without a paddle. You have given me hope! That’s why I hold the faith! I haven’t been on the forum for a week or so due to having to return hope to see my doctor. Good news is my cancer is in remission. I’m learning to turn everything over to the Lord and he has truly worked miracles and has Blessed me and my wife. She’s also a lung cancer survivor. Thank you Lord! I’m definitely going to proceed with replacing the jack-knife for wall huggers. I think that jack-knife is for a much younger man that doesn’t need the support this old dude needs! LOL! God Bless you and your family. I hope you’re enjoying your RVing experience!
Cliff—did you do the mod to your RV yet? I’m going to pull my couch in the next few days and see what things look like. Curious about the space, metal box, etc., before I start cutting things up with my table saw, etc. Really want to replace that couch.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:40 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Does anyone know if they make those reclining chairs in a 52" width (for the pair)?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote