Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2021, 06:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Texas
THOR #1403
Replacing the up front heater blower fan

OK so the blower fan under the dash on the passenger side is making a loud not good sound. It does not seem to be an easy access but is visible at least the bottom half of it is, so how is it accessed to be removed and replaced?

On our Thor Challenger I am thinking it may require removing the work station on the passenger side to access the top portion?

If anyone has had to have this done and DIY was that the way?

If you had it done what was the cost and down time you experienced?

Old 04-19-2021, 09:36 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Pops, Several years ago we had the same problem with our blower motor. I was able to get at it by removing the work station which was not very hard. Once that is out of the way you can look down in and see the motor mounted to the housing. in our 2015 Windsport 27K there was just enough room to remove the 4 screws, unhook the wire connector and wiggle it out. Original motor had a metal fan but the replacement had a plastic fan. Our system was made by Evans. I found the replacement at Johnny's Radiators & More. 870-226-5000. They are in Warren AR. Cost was $150 delivered (2017). Note; Thor told me I might have to loosen the dash on the right side and pull it out a little to get the fan assembly out. I didn't need to. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:38 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Diane View Post
Pops, Several years ago we had the same problem with our blower motor. I was able to get at it by removing the work station which was not very hard. Once that is out of the way you can look down in and see the motor mounted to the housing. in our 2015 Windsport 27K there was just enough room to remove the 4 screws, unhook the wire connector and wiggle it out. Original motor had a metal fan but the replacement had a plastic fan. Our system was made by Evans. I found the replacement at Johnny's Radiators & More. 870-226-5000. They are in Warren AR. Cost was $150 delivered (2017). Note; Thor told me I might have to loosen the dash on the right side and pull it out a little to get the fan assembly out. I didn't need to. Good luck.
Yep. Evans Tempcon makes everything for Ford class As except for the compressor and that is Fords.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:38 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Diane View Post
So how did you remove the fan? I have it exposed and removed the nuts on the blower fan unimotor HV033208 but can not seem to find the way to remove it.
We too have the Evans Tempcon unit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Evans Blower Fan.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	29863  
Old 04-20-2021, 11:05 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
I was able to wiggle it out somehow. I know I didn't have to loosen the dash and move it like Thor said I might, but you may have to. I still have the bad motor assembly and it's the same number as yours. The fan wheel sticks into the housing about 4 1/2". if your able to pull the assembly out about 2 1/2 to 3" you might be able to get a long allen wrench in thru the blades and loosen the set screw that holds it on the shaft that may allow you to separate the fan and motor and get them out separately. Of course you still have to get your replacement back in, but one thing at a time. Good luck.