Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2017, 02:19 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #7060
Riding in an RV with children

I have an 8y and a 3y old, what and how do I find out information about rules and regulations about child restraints and where I would find such devices if needed. We have a Vegas 24.1. Thank you everyone

Old 06-30-2017, 02:37 AM   #2

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I checked this out by doing searches for various states concerning RV seatbelt laws. It does vary from state to state. Basically you really don't need to worry about it as far as being ticketed unless you are involved in an accident. But if you are concerned for the safety of your passengers they should be in forward facing seats with seat belts, just as in a car.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:40 AM   #3

THOR #7060
Thank you. The Vegas only has the 2 front seats and the side couch. I'll do a check for california, thanks again
Old 06-30-2017, 02:43 AM   #4

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
And I don't know how you are going to have your kids facing forward with seat belts in your 24.1 unless you let them drive and sit in the front passenger seat. That would definitely be illegal.... You will have to use the seat belts that are provided there at the sofa.... Not to cause you to worry too much, but Class A RVs are not made for anything but smooth sailing and camping. Try to do as much as you can to prevent involvement in a crash by driving according to your ability and the realistic limits of a big box on wheels. Pretty sure that legally in CA the only ones that are required to wear seat belts are those in the front seats.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:46 AM   #5

THOR #7060
Well that gave me a laugh, absolutely they will be on the couch with lap belts. Thanks for the reassurance
Old 06-30-2017, 02:48 AM   #6

THOR #7060
Nervous grandparent, I saw for california there is no regulations enforced for seat belts other than driver and front passenger
Old 06-30-2017, 02:49 AM   #7

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Seat belts, booster & car seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by blantonm View Post
I have an 8y and a 3y old, what and how do I find out information about rules and regulations about child restraints and where I would find such devices if needed. We have a Vegas 24.1. Thank you everyone
I have traveled for years, and still travel with my grands all over the country. You can get this info from AAA--it is in the front of each state/regional travel book, and is also available on line. Just google the state. Our rule has always been "no seatbelt, no go". We added extra seatbelts to our dinette and sofa so they would have more options, but we have no latch components and no shoulder harness, only lap belts. As they bring friends you may want to consider adding more seatbelt options as well. Have fun making great memories with your family.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:54 AM   #8

THOR #7060
Wow great info. I'll definitely check with AAA. My rule would also be buckle in or don't go as well. My daughter will definitely ask and we want to take the granddaughters with us on a few trips . I can't wait. The girls call our RV, the driving house,....perfect. Thank you again for the info. I love this app and forum
Old 06-30-2017, 04:01 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post

.....cut.... Not to cause you to worry too much, but Class A RVs are not made for anything but smooth sailing and camping. Try to do as much as you can to prevent involvement in a crash by driving according to your ability and the realistic limits of a big box on wheels. ....cut.....
This is so incredibly true. Getting a ticket is of little concern to me compared to the lack of actual crash safety built into motorhomes, and also the lack of crash testing comparable to autos.

I know the argument is that while safety could be much better, buyers won't pay for it.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:54 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I have found several resources online, that have tables outlining all states in one place. AAA has one, and there are others.

I have found though that the booster seats don't really work all that well in the RV.....and in some way things look better without.
Sideways facing seats
dinette seats with the table (aka head knocker) right in front & restricting the added height from the seat, etc.... just aren't meant for use with child restraints.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:04 PM   #11
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
In my 2014 Hurricane - a booster side belted into the forward facing dinette seat with the table in 'bed' position seemed to me to be the safest..
Would prefer a shoulder strap there too - may look to add something... That would allow leaving the table up safely so others could sit around it as well...

In our 2000 - and when grandkid was younger in full car seat - I used the side facing permanent seat behind the passenger (the seat rotated to lock/face forward as well, but wouldn't with car seat in it.) Car seats state not intended for side facing, but was the best/safest solution I had in that rig.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:47 PM   #12

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
In my 2014 Hurricane - a booster side belted into the forward facing dinette seat with the table in 'bed' position seemed to me to be the safest..
exactly where I landed too in my thinking.... although often just let them ride with the table up
Old 06-30-2017, 08:51 PM   #13

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
This is so incredibly true. Getting a ticket is of little concern to me compared to the lack of actual crash safety built into motorhomes, and also the lack of crash testing comparable to autos.

I know the argument is that while safety could be much better, buyers won't pay for it.
You said it Chance,
I liken the situation to driving a fiberglass boat down the road.... drives smoothly on top of the water but not designed to crash into another boat or the dock.... I call that reality. I personally believe that I would not be able to afford a crash worthy RV if the engineering was available. It is the risk we take.