Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2017, 10:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Missouri
THOR #5711
Interstate Driving Speeds Thor Vegas / Axis

I'm curious about what speeds owners feel comfortable with driving their Axis / Vegas. We are newbies but have put about 5000 miles on our 2017 Vegas and when driving on Interstates in good conditions with winds less than 10 mph we feel comfortable at about 63 - 64 mph. We are towing our Jeep.

Also, we have found that once cross winds get above 12 mph or so we'll drop down to 60. We'll go down to 55-57 if winds are above 15 and we will look for an RV park if winds are over 20 and gusting.

We've added SafeTplus, front and rear anti-sway bars and had the alignment adjusted to achieve positive caster per other thread specs.

We seem to be getting passed by a lot of other motor homes and RVs and admittedly we are still getting used to the feel of driving ours.

What comments and experiences have some of you had?

Thx!!

Old 05-07-2017, 10:51 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.2
THOR #4687
On our VEGAS it seems that about 60-65 is comfortable. Above 70 seems to start "shimmying" and I just naturally slow down. We haven't put alot of miles on it yet.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:53 PM   #3

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
I usually run at 62 with winds up to 15 then adjust down as winds increase. I feel our safety is more important than the speed. I just wave to everyone that wants to pass, most times we see them at the same rest area we are stopped at. We are traveling with a lot of weight, and stopping is not to quick, so we just sit back relax and enjoy
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:05 PM   #4

THOR #6491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagrandd View Post
I'm curious about what speeds owners feel comfortable with driving their Axis / Vegas. We are newbies but have put about 5000 miles on our 2017 Vegas and when driving on Interstates in good conditions with winds less than 10 mph we feel comfortable at about 63 - 64 mph. We are towing our Jeep.

Also, we have found that once cross winds get above 12 mph or so we'll drop down to 60. We'll go down to 55-57 if winds are above 15 and we will look for an RV park if winds are over 20 and gusting.

We've added SafeTplus, front and rear anti-sway bars and had the alignment adjusted to achieve positive caster per other thread specs.

We seem to be getting passed by a lot of other motor homes and RVs and admittedly we are still getting used to the feel of driving ours.

Thx!!

We stay around 55-65
Old 05-08-2017, 01:02 AM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
For us it depends on the trip: If its just a weekend getaway (have to get to work on Monday you know) then it will be 70-75 (even with toad, no shimmy at all with ours--just a lot of noise; sounds a lot like someone gulping down gas). Our Axis seems really stable at those speeds--even more so with a toad.

If its a week long trip I usually plan a more relaxed driving plan and set the cruise control to 1 or 2 mph slower than the ambient traffic is moving. This way I rarely have to disengage cruise and can just happily drive along in the right lane as people go around us.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:38 AM   #6

THOR #5313
We cruise from 55 to 75 depending on many things, traffic wind etc. Vegas handles fine with 5500 to 6000 lb trailer behind it. Is actually better with trailer.

I have been over 80 MPH but is way too loud at anything above 75.

I am impressed with brakes. Had some fool in a Prius move over in front of us on turnpike to make right exit in a hurry and slowed to 30 or so. We had no issue slowing really quick. Dogs were not happy but it slowed.

I have put a Roadmaster Reflex damper on it, nothing else yet. Thinking of Hellwig sway bars at some point.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:44 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:

Thx!!

That's pretty much my comfort zone. You'll always have hotshots zipping past, leaving you in the dust. Just smile and wish them well. Remember, your stopping distance is far longer than with a car.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:38 AM   #8

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
With no wind I pretty much drive the interstate speed limit with toad. Winds of 10 to 20 I stay 5 under speed limit. Strong gusts will drop my speed to about 60. I have a Miramar with Safe-t-Plus and anti-sway on the rear.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:57 AM   #9

State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Our Vegas has a Safety- T-Plus and Sumo Springs up front . I usually run between 60 - 68 mph depending on the posted limit.
As others have said it does get noisy over 70 mph but seems very happy below 68 mph.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:07 AM   #10

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Colorado
THOR #6613
I usually do about 55-62 depending on conditions. Hubby usually does 60-65 when he drives the motorhome.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:55 AM   #11

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Interstate driving 55 to 64 with toad (JK jeep) and 65 - 70 without which is not often. Highways (cross traffic) five mph less than these speeds minimum. Wind changes everything but driving out west in winter you are going to get bad winds so practice makes perfect. Passed a DP in the San Gorgonio pass I10 (Banning CA) I was doing 45 to 50 and he was all over the road at anything above 40. Bad windy gusting day. The gust felt like I was on two wheels when they hit after being blocked by overpass. Felt good about the Safe-t-pass that day. Any idiot can drive too fast in good conditions. Sadly I have also tested my Axis brakes on a number of occasions without and with toad (Patriot braking system) they worked as we are still here and no accidents.

Noise levels in my unit are dependent on transmission gear (down shifting) more than speeds over 70. A few times to pass I hit 80. I pass at full power on two lane roads.
Also my Axis seems to love 64 mph at ~2100 rpms.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #12

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
On our VEGAS it seems that about 60-65 is comfortable. Above 70 seems to start "shimmying" and I just naturally slow down. We haven't put alot of miles on it yet.
This is my speed too. I slow to 55 if wind is kicking. 30 mph crosswind gusts on my last trip made it interesting, even with a steering control.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:01 PM   #13

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Interstate Driving Speeds Thor Vegas / Axis

Our A.C.E. 29.2 cruises comfortably and reasonably quietly at 60-65. Loaded as typical, it weighs just under 16K lbs and with our 2500 lb toad, a Mini Cooper, even at those speeds downshifts are frequent on hilly roads so I don't use the cruise control in order to avoid that sudden downshift that results in the engine revving at 4300 rpm. I try to keep revs below 3500 rpm and just let the speed bleed off if necessary. Ive had the alignment done and installed a Safe-T-Plus but strong gusty crosswinds still feel like a slap in the face so 60mph is often our preferred speed. We were passed by a little class B rig last week while running at 65 on a Texas 2 lane so I just waved as he zoomed by.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #14

State: Alabama
THOR #6466
60-70 with a 6x10 cargo trailer
Old 05-08-2017, 04:23 PM   #15

State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Quote:

Thx!!
Sounds like good caution! Here in Michigan everyone is driving 80 on the interstates - 70 is fine in my Vegas 24.1 with no towing if no wind (i had safeTplus and alignment done).
Old 05-08-2017, 05:36 PM   #16

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
We don't pull anything and I have trouble keeping the Vegas below 75 on any interstate. It just seems to want to creep up there and cruise. I almost always set the cruise control to 65, maybe a notch higher or lower depending on traffic, and then take my foot off the gas and relax. Seems to be the best way to keep things at a reasonable speed.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:15 PM   #17

Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Arkansas
THOR #6634
When I bought my 2017 ACE I promised myself I'd stay in the 60-63 mph range (with no toad). However, a few hours of interstate driving made me re-think. At 62, every car or truck on the interstate was blowing past me. I began to wonder if a higher speed would be better. I began to ease my MPH up until I hit 68 (and sometime 70). At those speeds, vehicles were still passing me on occasion, but not nearly as often as with the lower speeds. At times, and with the higher speeds, I felt like I was on the highway alone, with no cars within a mile in front or in back of me. I'm still looking for the ideal speed. I recognize that we need longer stopping time, but it seems equally as hazardous to have a continual stream of people buzzing around you. After all, I know I'm awake, alert and sober while driving. I do not know about the other who are wheeling around me with only a few feet of space between me and them.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #18

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
My .02 cents is that it's just as dangerous to be the slowest guy on the highway, so I usually try to run with the majority of the trucks, some are hauling a##, so I stay with the slower ones. In big cities I get in the middle lanes & stay there so they can go around on either side.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:54 PM   #19

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Sustainable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
When I bought my 2017 ACE I promised myself I'd stay in the 60-63 mph range (with no toad). However, a few hours of interstate driving made me re-think. At 62, every car or truck on the interstate was blowing past me. I began to wonder if a higher speed would be better. I began to ease my MPH up until I hit 68 (and sometime 70). At those speeds, vehicles were still passing me on occasion, but not nearly as often as with the lower speeds. At times, and with the higher speeds, I felt like I was on the highway alone, with no cars within a mile in front or in back of me. I'm still looking for the ideal speed. I recognize that we need longer stopping time, but it seems equally as hazardous to have a continual stream of people buzzing around you. After all, I know I'm awake, alert and sober while driving. I do not know about the other who are wheeling around me with only a few feet of space between me and them.
Are you able to maintain the "keeping up" speed and stay out of the high rev lower gears? Personally, where the speed limit is 65 on two lane roads have no guilt leading a parade at the speed limit.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:56 PM   #20

THOR #5711
Thanks for all the insights. Much appreciated!
Lagrandd is offline   Reply With Quote