Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: New Jersey
THOR #3292
Roadside Assistance plans

Hi all,
The dealer offered some extended warranty plans that we are studying - not sure what to make of them - and one of the items included was Coach-Net Roadside Assistance, which I think I can buy separately on my own.

I have run across a price of $129/yr for the Coach-Net plan. My Progressive RV policy also includes Roadside assistance and it costs $13/yr. It covers "Towing to nearest qualified repair facility or up to 15 miles to facility or destination of customer's choice. Labor (1 hour maximum) on disabled vehicle at place of disablement if due to any of following: Battery failure. Entrapment in water, sand, mud or snow within 100 feet of a road or highway. Flat tire, change to existing spare. Keys locked inside vehicle. Mechanical or electrical breakdown. Out of gas, oil or other fluids. Only gas is delivered to place of disablement; vehicle will be towed for all others."

What does everyone think about the need for the Coach-Net plan as opposed to what I have with Progressive? Is it worthwhile?

Thanks!

Old 11-27-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Buzz,

You didn't mention what type of coach. The Ford chassis includes 36 months of roadside assistance at no, none, zippo, charge. Ask the dealer to see the owners manual.

As a note, the Ford RV Roadside assistance number is 800-444-3311. You can call them and ask what is included in the complimentary service.

As a note, I rally with numerous folks having older motorhomes and they swear by Coach-net. When I bought my Class C a few years back Forest River offered Coach Net with the purchase. That was one thing I never had to use.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:26 PM   #3

State: Florida
THOR #1249
I have Coachnet with unlimited towing which is important for me since we do a lot of traveling in remote areas. Never used it...........(knocking on wooden head), but hear it is one of the better ones. Cost around $100/yr. IIRC.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:29 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: New Jersey
THOR #3292
Thanks Dave and mcr1010. This is very helpful for me in sifting through the information. I don't want to over-insure and duplicate but theres so much that could go wrong with something as complicated and large as an RV.

Dave, we bought a Hurricane 31S and hope to pick it up next week. They are changing out the seating to the theater seats. The dealer offered several extended warranties but I have to research whether to go for one. The only time I've ever filed under an extended warranty was the lawn tractor but I was glad I had it that time.

I did call Ford Roadside Assistance. Very pleasant and helpful. The complimentary plan is for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:30 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 33SW, Diesel
State: Washington
THOR #3195
There is also Good Sam and they have a special on for I think 80$. Then there is Triple A as well which we have and we like them too. They are all about the same look for some deals, the best deal if your coach is new and has a Ford Chassis is Ford Assistance.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:38 PM   #6

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4010
Sprinter roadside service?

Does anyone have any roadside assistance suggestions for the Sprinter chassis? I bought a 2015 Citation used, and from a private seller. So I have no idea where I stand with any Thor coverage. Also, I worry a little about the Mercedes engine in a remote area. Thanks!
Old 05-11-2016, 12:55 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
I had a unit on a Sprinter chassis. I used Western Star for service work. They have many locations throughout the country and take care of Freightliner and Sprinter units. I once went to a Mercedes dealer for an oil change and western Star was 1/4 the price and they do big rig quality work.

Google them. I am sure there is one in your area. They do Sprinter warranty work too.

Phil
Old 05-11-2016, 01:07 AM   #8

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4010
Hey Phil, thanks so much. I'm on my way to Google!
Old 05-11-2016, 01:31 AM   #9

State: Florida
THOR #1249
I had a Sprinter with the Mercedes eng. before the Vegas. I used Coachnet then and now with unlimited towing.
I also still have a spreadsheet with all the Dodge-Mercedes service centers if you are interested. PM me with your email and I'll send it on.
Happy trails.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:07 AM   #10

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
I had AAA and lucky I also added roadside to my insurance policy on a used motorhome because it was really cheap and thought sure why not. We needed tow service and called AAA ... what a mess! Anyway, the RV insurance policy roadside took care of everything to include another tow to the next town because their 1st shop couldn't get to our rig for a couple weeks. Never renewed AAA and have saved many $K over the years since then.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Look through your paperwork; perhaps a limited amount of roadside assistance already comes with it (Our Axis has some Ford provided roadside assistance).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote