Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2016, 04:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
Battery Maintainers

Has anyone used the "Battery Minder" or "Battery Tender" to maintain their chassis battery during storage ? Which would you recommend? or are there other better options? Thanks in advance.

Jerry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:07 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
I have used Battery Tenders on my collector cars for years . I got 13 years out of a lead acid battery in one of those cars from religiously using the battery tender .
I have one on my new Vegas as well.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:09 AM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I use Battery Tender on the car left behind in MI while we winter in FL for 3 months. Worked very well.
Costco typically has a sale on them around this time of year.

Can't comment on the differences with Battery Minder.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:49 AM   #4

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Have been using cheap harbour freight trickle chargers for years on both a motorhome and a collector car with no issues. Both start right up fine after months of sitting on the chargers.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:17 PM   #5

State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
Thanks guys, appreciate the information. Stay safe
Jerry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:38 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I use an older model Battery Minder on my coach batteries when in winter storage, which in this part of the world starts about now and lasts until March. It has worked great.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:49 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Since I don't have electricity where I store the RV I use a 5W solar that keeps it charged all winter. I do use a trickle on my boat and it really extends battery life.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #8

State: Michigan
THOR #5743
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
Since I don't have electricity where I store the RV I use a 5W solar that keeps it charged all winter. I do use a trickle on my boat and it really extends battery life.
How do you connect the solar to the engine battery? I have mine in a storage location with no elec, so I've read about using solar connected to 12 V or OBDII. Will either of these work on Axis/Vegas? I don't have a good way to connect directly to battery.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:34 PM   #9

THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-mo View Post
How do you connect the solar to the engine battery? I have mine in a storage location with no elec, so I've read about using solar connected to 12 V or OBDII. Will either of these work on Axis/Vegas? I don't have a good way to connect directly to battery.
I connect it to the house battery which is under the entry steps then I place the solar unit in the south facing window. I could plug it in to the cig lighter for the cab but I prefer doing the house and if I have to I use the emergency switch to start the cab engine. I do start the cab about every two to three weeks in the winter and only had to use the emergency start once.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:39 PM   #10

THOR #5743
Thanks, KNMIB.
Do you have an opinion about this one from Noco using a 12V or OBDII connector? https://no.co/xgs4auto My frustrating issue has normally been the engine battery, which I've jumped several times leaving only days between starts. The emergency start from the house batteries has never been effective.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:51 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry B. View Post
Has anyone used the "Battery Minder" or "Battery Tender" to maintain their chassis battery during storage ? Which would you recommend? or are there other better options? Thanks in advance.
This seems to be a little late, but I use the battery minder. Have used it for years when putting the trailer away for the winter. I have two 6 volt Trojan T-105 batteries. The big plus as far as I'm concerned, is it starts desulfating when you hook it up, and then stops desulfating when it has accomplished the job, but continues to charge at a very low rate to keep the batteries topped off.
I use to pull the batteries and bring them in the garage for the winter to avoid any possibility of freezing. Now I don't have to lift those heavy things in and out.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:19 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
I have disconnects on both batteries. The RV sits unplugged all winter with the batteries essentially not connected to anything. About every other week I reconnect them and run both engines (at least long enough to bring both up to operating temp).

So far haven't had an issue with either battery. Solar really isn't an option since the RV is covered for the winter as well (unless I lay it on top of the cover or next to the camper but in either case it would get covered with snow).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:50 PM   #13

THOR #992
Quote:
Thanks, KNMIB.
Do you have an opinion about this one from Noco using a 12V or OBDII connector? https://no.co/xgs4auto My frustrating issue has normally been the engine battery, which I've jumped several times leaving only days between starts. The emergency start from the house batteries has never been effective.
Looks like that may do it. Mine is a 5W from Bass Pro but does not have the OBD connection just the cig lighter and direct battery. My unit will hold the battery at 2/3 charged in our coldest weather 0 for several days but we can be below freezing for several weeks off and on. It wont charge the battery but it will maintain it so have them fully charged when you hook it up. Ideally plugged in would be great but I have no electrical where I store. Good luck
Old 11-24-2016, 07:37 PM   #14
EV2

Model: Tiburon
State: Arizona
THOR #1264
In total agreement with everyone on using a battery tender. But, there is one caveat that is very important. If anyone other than you has access to the outlet, be sure to secure the plug and place a sign stating, "DO NOT DISCONNECT!"
Over the years I have experience great success with extending the life of the battery with the exception of someone unplugging to use the outlet and not reconnecting the battery tender. This will result in a totally drained battery and battery failure.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4919
Quote:
Thanks, KNMIB.
I just bought my 1st NOCO. So it would be difficult to judge how well it works, as I've only had it a couple of weeks. I also have a assortment of Battery Tender, Battery Minder, and CTEK units that I use, many year round. I have a Battery Tender 4 battery charger that I use for various batteries that I use on a "As Needed" basis. The only one I had a issue with was one of the CTEK units that stopped functioning.

Otherwise, I would say they all do a good job of keeping the batteries from discharging. Cost is often a function of how many features you want. For example battery recovery or battery desulfation.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:35 PM   #16

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Oregon
THOR #4145
I went a different route. I installed an Amp-L-Start (I think I spelled it correctly!). It "steals" a little voltage from the house batteries to keep the chassis batteries topped off. The trick is to NOT use the battery disconnect switch prior to leaving the coach for storage. I put the USE/STORE switch in the STORE position, which turns off 12v to all the devices in the coach that use it, and when I come back in two to three weeks to look over the coach, the house batteries are usually still adequately charged. If they are not adequately charged, I run the GENSET long enough to get the house batteries up to about 12.7v. This process also ensures that the generator gets exercised regularly.