Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 35 M
State: New York
THOR #6832
Rv casitas Yuma az San diego

Our children live in San Diego and we are selling in ny. We own a 37 ft Thor windsport 2018. Would love to live in San Diego but the cost are crazy .looking at the Yuma area(don’t know much about it) and would like a community that would have a small casita 2 bedrooms,that would accommodate our rig. Any suggestions

Old 05-10-2018, 03:39 PM   #2

Model: Vegas
State: California
THOR #2485
Cheapest option would be to consider a mobile home park. A 1200 sqft unit with 2 bd 2 ba generally runs about $250 to $300 K for something close to the coast (it's much cheaper the further inland you go). Some of the locations can be pretty amazing, within walking distance of the ocean. Indoor storage for your rig will cost ~$11 per foot per month. Some folks store their rigs out in the nearby desert communities like Borrego Springs where it's probably a lot cheaper. The main thing is getting it out of the sun which will fade the exterior and breakdown your tires. The upside is no more winterizing each season

We took our 2015 Vegas 24.1 across the country from Connecticut in 2016 and suffered from "Reverse Sticker Shock" everywhere in between coming to So Cal. Homes in Florida and Colorado ran between $150 to $250/ sqft compared to $400/ sqft and above for So Cal or the Northeast. Our favorite was Colorado Springs which looked a lot like California.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #3

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
If you've never experienced living in the desert, it may be a big adjustment for you. I lived in San Francisco Bay area almost all my life and moved to Bullhead City AZ. which is about an hour S/E from Las Vegas. Lived there for 12 years and took be a couple years to adjust to climate. Moved in 2016 to Pacific N/W due to Wife needing to be nearer to her aging parents. I preferred the desert, She did not. PNW is O.K. but winters just opposite to AZ. You may like it and it is not that far from San Diego.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Check around Parker or Havasu City area, we like both much better than Yuma.
Steve 76, our son & family live in the Seattle area & we don't like that area either, I'll take the desert any day. There was about 6 weeks this winter I wore long britches & a light jacket, before that & since have worn t shirts & shorts, no rain coats required.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:06 PM   #5

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Check around Parker or Havasu City area, we like both much better than Yuma.
Steve 76, our son & family live in the Seattle area & we don't like that area either, I'll take the desert any day. There was about 6 weeks this winter I wore long britches & a light jacket, before that & since have worn t shirts & shorts, no rain coats required.
I agree. I live in Ferndale WA. Nice little city but cold and wore long britches too. Shoveled snow more than I like to get out of the house. This fall before winter sets in, I may take R.V. to AZ. or some place warmer for a retreat vacation.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:03 PM   #6

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmshih View Post
Cheapest option would be to consider a mobile home park. A 1200 sqft unit with 2 bd 2 ba generally runs about $250 to $300 K for something close to the coast (it's much cheaper the further inland you go). Some of the locations can be pretty amazing, within walking distance of the ocean. Indoor storage for your rig will cost ~$11 per foot per month. Some folks store their rigs out in the nearby desert communities like Borrego Springs where it's probably a lot cheaper. The main thing is getting it out of the sun which will fade the exterior and breakdown your tires. The upside is no more winterizing each season

We took our 2015 Vegas 24.1 across the country from Connecticut in 2016 and suffered from "Reverse Sticker Shock" everywhere in between coming to So Cal. Homes in Florida and Colorado ran between $150 to $250/ sqft compared to $400/ sqft and above for So Cal or the Northeast. Our favorite was Colorado Springs which looked a lot like California.
Yeah, I remember Yuma. Specially when all the snowbirds are there in the winter. Oh yeah, It can get cold at night during the winter. And hot! in the summer. Right next to a time zone too.