Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Maryland
THOR #6722
RV construction details

Does anyone know the thickness of the Luan board they use on the inside walls of a Thor ACE (I assume they use the same interior materials for all their models).

Similarly, can anyone tell me the thickness of the framing and the thickness of the exterior fiberglass. I want to screw into the side wall to hang something but I don't want to screw through the rig.

I called Thor and one rep told me 1/4" and one told me around 3/32. But neither sounded like they were 100% sure. They told me 1"- 1-1/4" total thickness but again, didn't sound as if they were absolutely sure.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:52 PM   #2

THOR #6722
So I watched a video about the construction process that Thor put out. Looks like between the interior Luan and the aluminum stud wall you have at lease 3/4-1 inch before you reach the fiberglass. Pretty nice video, the floor looks like it's 3/4" for sure but it's hard to tell the thickness of the Luan on the side walls.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:24 PM   #3

THOR #6722
RV construction details

I received an email from Thor customer service telling me that the interior walls are 1/4” and the aluminum framing is 1 1/2” square tubing.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:38 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleypsychRN View Post
Does anyone know the thickness of the Luan board they use on the inside walls of a Thor ACE (I assume they use the same interior materials for all their models).
Similarly, can anyone tell me the thickness of the framing and the thickness of the exterior fiberglass. I want to screw into the side wall to hang something but I don't want to screw through the rig.
I called Thor and one rep told me 1/4" and one told me around 3/32. But neither sounded like they were 100% sure. They told me 1"- 1-1/4" total thickness but again, didn't sound as if they were absolutely sure.
The thickness are nominal as the manufactures make slight changes during a model year. The core is 1" square tuning in the walls with expanded foam filling voids in the structure. Where cabinets are hung and built-ins are affixed to the wall there are 16 ga steel plates glued to the aluminum structure. The inner and outer walls consist of 0.204 in thick Lauan plywood cover by a woven fiberglass mat impregnated with a heat activated resin. The wall panel is heat cured and vacuum bonded in the largest press I have ever seen. 12x40 ft. As soon as the wall is cured (20 minutes), the wall is moved to the CNC table where all of the cutouts and slide out covers are routed-out. At max production plant 750 where ACE, Freedom Traveler, Hurricane and Windsports is 12 coaches per day. So as you can the wall press is a busy place.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote