Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2016, 11:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
RV driver safety course

My annual RV insurance is coming due next week. I've been doing some research with several companies who insure RV's - and have been asked several times if I've taken an "RV driver's safety course". Apparently there's an available discount if you have.
I live in Oregon and they don't seem to be available here and the ones I've found online under "RV driver's safety course" cost anywhere from $250 and up and you naturally have to take your RV. I know I'm not driving out of state to pay the fee, plus gas just for a nominal discount - but my question is - has anyone heard of a driver's safety course for RV drivers? I have taken the AARP driver safety course - my current company recognizes that and I get the discount for it - but none of the others do - even had one guy tell me he'd never heard of the AARP driver safety course! DUH!!

Old 08-25-2016, 01:19 AM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappydude View Post
My annual RV insurance is coming due next week. I've been doing some research with several companies who insure RV's - and have been asked several times if I've taken an "RV driver's safety course". Apparently there's an available discount if you have.
I live in Oregon and they don't seem to be available here and the ones I've found online under "RV driver's safety course" cost anywhere from $250 and up and you naturally have to take your RV. I know I'm not driving out of state to pay the fee, plus gas just for a nominal discount - but my question is - has anyone heard of a driver's safety course for RV drivers? I have taken the AARP driver safety course - my current company recognizes that and I get the discount for it - but none of the others do - even had one guy tell me he'd never heard of the AARP driver safety course! DUH!!
Sorry, keeping it all in the spirit of this forum, I could not care less about AARP. Never heard of an RV driver safety course with my insurance company. I just pay for full replacement value with my company right now.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:17 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.2 E-450
State: Texas
THOR #4181
Several in Oregon

Several in Oregon
School locations – Click on map icon to see the town & date availability | RV School
TerryJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I have heard that a big dealership down near Tampa, Lazy Daze, puts on a couple of different RV courses.
Other than that I have no idea.

I will comment though that if I had the chance I might consider doing it
even though I doubt if the insurance saving would amount to enough to pay the bill + my time
but

Years ago, a company I worked for that was a very large corporation and had a huge fleet of outside sales type folks driving company cars put me through a driving school. I didn't have a company car, but traveled heavily and rented cars so they included my group in on it.
The course counted towards an insurance discount, even for our own private insurance but sadly it didn't in my state.

The course was like a half day of lecture then we went out on a track and practices maximum braking, high speed maneuvering (at like 45MPH), and so on. They also had a skid car rigged up, with an instructor controlled steerable rear axle dolly. It was great fun.

Having grown up skidding cars on mud roads and having driven on ice a lot it was nothing new for me, but for many it was a great lesson.
I think the single best thing I got out of it was proper mirror adjustment. I find it interesting now, how many folks really just do not know how to use their mirrors.

Anyway , my point is that I have little doubt that almost anyone could learn at least a little something form such a course..... but I wouldn't think that the insurance break would completely offset the cost of it.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:06 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Ford offers something like that for the newly licensed teenage driver: Ford Driving Skills for Life. We'll probably have our son take it once he gets his license.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:11 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Ford offers something like that for the newly licensed teenage driver: Ford Driving Skills for Life. We'll probably have our son take it once he gets his license.
Interesting. Sadly its only in a few states though.

I would highly suggest you do it if you can. It would certainly be great for a new driver.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:23 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2
Sadly its only in a few states though.
It moves around year to year. In the past there have been ones near us--and we're near Dearborn LOL.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:40 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: Arizona
THOR #5227
Sometimes large, sponsored RV shows will have workshops and RV Driving & Safety Classes. Check to see if there are any scheduled RV shows in Your area, and if they offer that particular class.
TheLostDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:48 PM   #9

THOR #1249
My wife and I took an RV safety two part driving course at Lazydays in the Tampa area. It was free due to us buying a coach there. Not sure what the charge would be straight out.
We did get a little discount on our ins. premium, but I would not get excited about it. It was not enough discount to warrant a big charge for a driving course.
The course was very good though, and we picked up some great tips.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:47 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
As a retired professional driver I urge all "New" and even not so new RV owners to take a RV driving course. Too many times have witnessed RV driven in such a manner that they will have oopsies by not having the basics of driving anything larger than a U-Haul truck...
They have no clue as to the safety equipment to be carried or how and when to use them, nor do they really have the skills developed to merge into /out of traffic or lane changes.... and even normal turns in town let alone close quarters such as in most campgrounds threaten those sharing the space available.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:46 AM   #11

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
As a retired professional driver I urge all "New" and even not so new RV owners to take a RV driving course. Too many times have witnessed RV driven in such a manner that they will have oopsies by not having the basics of driving anything larger than a U-Haul truck...
They have no clue as to the safety equipment to be carried or how and when to use them, nor do they really have the skills developed to merge into /out of traffic or lane changes.... and even normal turns in town let alone close quarters such as in most campgrounds threaten those sharing the space available.
Good advise above. Even though I did not spend my career as a professional driver I started out that way being trained in the military in a transportation MOS. Then spent my career as a trooper and of course did some DOT work along the way. RV classes would be good not only for helping to develop handling skills but for learning how to safely maintain your rig. Not everyone understands lug nuts have to be tightened/torqued every so often, suspension parts should be inspected, steer axle tires have to be replaced quicker than drive.....so on and so on....
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote