Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2017, 11:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
fuel rewards card

I'm thinking I should be taking advantage of a Fuel rewards card or a discount per gallon program. Anybody use one that they would recommend?

Old 03-07-2017, 11:51 PM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
The only one I have is Good Sams (that we don't use) good at Flying Js & some other truck stop, they save you .03-.05 cents per gallon on fuel that's 20-30 cents higher on gasoline & even more on diesel than anywhere else, so not much savings.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:56 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I agree completely with Texans, fuel is usually higher so savings is offset.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:21 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
I have a BP Visa card that gives me rewards--its kind of variable and depends on how often I purchase gas (seems like the rewards are higher the less I purchase gas).

At some stations it simply gets you the "cash" price (if there is a difference) and doesn't give you the rewards.

A few times I've seen it close to $0.20/gal.

The funny thing is I don't use it a lot except when camping (I only have to get gas in the C-Max about once every other month or so; then we go camping and I'm putting two tanks in the camper LOL).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:43 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I have one from my credit union that gives me 5% on gas or 12.5 cents per gallon on $2.50 gas. I seldom see cash prices close to that savings. For those who use Good Sam at Pilot, you get both discounts.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:45 AM   #6

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I own a gas station and I can tell you who pays for the loyalty card is you. Best bet is to find a credit card like Capitol One that gives you 2% back on all purchases and then pay your bill in full each month. Look for the best street price with an easy access and don't worry about the loyalty card. I have a Good Sam card too but rarely use it.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:26 AM   #7

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
I use the Good Sam card at Flying J and Pilot. I have been across the US and back 3 times in the past 2 years and have always found those stations to be the same or cheaper than others in the area. You must remember to fill up when close to town and the bigger the town the better. If you wait till you are 30 miles out you will pay more. I also use a credit card that has 5% cash back at gas stations. I also like that I get a discount on coffee and dump station and propane at those stations and many have separate over night parking for RV's. It may be a bit noisy but I always feel safe and after driving all day I have no problem falling asleep.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:53 AM   #8

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1505
I have the Good Sam .03 card at Pilot/Flying J. The .05 discount with the Sunoco card at those service stations is normally a lower price. Smaller towns and off the interstate on more rural roads, your bank card most likely provides the best value.
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:34 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #6009
Thank you! Something to consider all around.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:15 AM   #10

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Being a Good Sam Lifetime member I get $.08 on diesel. Yes they do charge more at the pump than some, but I sometimes find that others are equally high priced so my discount does in fact make a difference. I also have spent many nights catching ZZZssss in the RV parking so for the little extra I pay I more than save getting to spend the night there and what better way to thank the merchant that saves me $50 on a night's stay. And they have great coffee... and burgers... and other foods!
Old 03-08-2017, 12:38 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Not sure where you folks are from but in my neck of the woods Pilot is the cheapest gas in town, before the discount. My local Pilot has the next best beat by .04 per gallon. Couple that with the .05 per gallon discount and I'm looking at .09 per gallon which could save 5 or 6 dollars when I fill the 80 gallon tank.

Next best thing I can think of is a "GOOD" cash back credit card.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #12

State: Georgia
THOR #6114
Kroger reward points.

Here in middle GA we grocery shop at Kroger. They have a fuel rewards program that is hard to beat. Up to $1 off per gallon (35 gallon limit) off their already low fuel prices. We save points until we have enough and drag all our vehicles to fill up and save $35. We buy gift cards, usually Amazon, which give you double points. With a family buying groceries and the occasional gift card, we get our $35 off every month.

If you fill up and give your Kroger card, there is always a few cents discount per gallon, even if you are saving your points for the dollar off.

Of course you can pay with a rewards credit card - bonus $.

How Do Kroger Fuel Points Work? - Kroger Krazy
Old 03-08-2017, 05:03 PM   #13

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I use the Safeway/Chevron discount. I was a little shocked when it turned out that there is a 25 gallon maximum. The pump turned off!

I have also used the Good Sam discount at Pilot stations.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #14

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Costco Visa credit card 4% on gas.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:21 PM   #15

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Not sure where you folks are from but in my neck of the woods Pilot is the cheapest gas in town, before the discount. My local Pilot has the next best beat by .04 per gallon. Couple that with the .05 per gallon discount and I'm looking at .09 per gallon which could save 5 or 6 dollars when I fill the 80 gallon tank.

Next best thing I can think of is a "GOOD" cash back credit card.
WOW! Pilot is cheapest? Maybe on gasoline, but usually Pilot/FlyingJ are more on diesel than every other station.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:05 PM   #16
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
WOW! Pilot is cheapest? Maybe on gasoline, but usually Pilot/FlyingJ are more on diesel than every other station.
Diesel is another story. My local Pilot is quite a bit higher than others for diesel.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:06 PM   #17

Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Yes, that's been my experience as well, particularly in Virginia. I often travel down south from Ohio, and always try to find a Pilot/Flying J in Virginia to gas up in, because once you hit North Carolina the prices seem to always be higher. Virginia isn't just for lovers ... it's also for good gas prices!
Old 03-11-2017, 10:33 PM   #18

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I use a Fort Knox Credit Union Visa Card and get 5% off all fuel purchases. When traveling long distances, I try to stop at Pilot/Flying J Travel Centers because the fuel is often less than others. Not always true though. The Flying J in San Antonio, FL is higher than others in the area.