Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2019, 10:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
RV Insurance through FMCA

We recently joined FMCA. As part of the “welcome “ package was an offer for a free insurance quote.
I went ahead and filled out the form and today got an email with the quote.
I was amazed by the quote I received.
I had just renewed the policy on my 2018 Freedom Elite 30FE with State Farm for $784 for a year. The quote I got from FMCA (underwritten by Progressive Northwestern) was $522, over $200 less than State Farm.
Looks great to me, but I have questions.
Does anyone else have Progressive and how is their customer service?
Is this quote just an “introductory “ rate and could I expect a large increase after the first year?
I guess I’m looking for feedback from those that have experience with this insurance.
Thanks for any input.

LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:17 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Insurance companies can't give "introductory rates" but as you found out, there can be a wide variation in rates, just like with homeowners and auto insurance. A recent thread addressed this well. You are smart to check around, and you can cancel your current policy anytime. You don't have to wait for renewal time, they have to give you a refund for unearned premiums.

You can't assume that the rate will change next year. Both the companies you mentioned are good companies. Be sure you compare the coverages, not just the cost.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:33 AM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
I had State Farm for auto/home/liability for 25 years... When I bought the first RV, my agent told me that really wasn't their area as he gave me the quote... I went elsewhere for the RV insurance.
Be sure you compare the policies - especially in areas like 'agreed value' - amount they will pay if totaled...
Saving money is great - just be sure you have the coverage you need.

Progressive partners with both FMCA and USAA, and from another poster Good Sams too... I haven't used them yet, but wouldn't hesitate if the price/terms were right.

I used National General initially - while they can't use an introductory rate as Mr Sunshine said, with no claims/tickets my rate went up substantially after first year... they reassessed the rates in the area... So I switched.

Currently with SafeCo for the RV - and rates have held for several years... Still more than I want to be paying, but...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:53 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I had Progressive the past two years about $650-700. Both time the renewal was several hundred more. Called Agent and got it lowered to close to the original but maybe $30-$50 higher. THis year they jumped $600 I think Progressive hopes no one checks the price increase and just pays it

My agent would not call me back. Think he quit. I called Progressive directy after getting a quote from them online. Online they were $750 Gave the girl my policy number and she that's your price. Nothing she could do. Even after I told her their website quoted me a much lower price

I went to another ins company and will not deal with Progressive again.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:29 AM   #5

THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Be sure you compare the coverages, not just the cost.
I have already asked for more detail. Coverage, deductibles etc. We will see the response.
Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:16 AM   #6

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
I have had Progressive for over a decade coving motorcycles, boats, cars, trucks and RV’s. They cover my current 5ver with a discount pricing from USAA. I have been very happy with them.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:18 AM   #7

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
I have already asked for more detail. Coverage, deductibles etc. We will see the response.
Thanks for the input everyone.
Yup, apples to apples. Differences make a difference.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:43 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13098
I've had Progressive coverage for 2 years now......my second premium was actually lower that the initial......not by much ($15) but it was lower. Actual premium was less than $300/year with full coverage and full replacement costs. Have not had to use my insurance and I hope I never will. I have had quotes for same coverage as high as $1200/year from other insurance companies. What a range of coverage cost are out there!
Old 09-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #9

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
I use USAA but here in MA they regulate insurance so USAA doesn’t cover RVs. They work in conjunction with Progressive so your RV insurance is thru Progressive. Our policy is about $800-$900/ yr. it will vary based on your location. The more heavily populated the more it cost. And your sucky driving record. Tickets, accidents and any claims. Glass, by the way is a “claim” it will stay on your ins record for 42 mos. if you switch companies in that time it will count as a claim against your new insurance rate and your premium may increase. Just an FYI.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:53 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The FMCA program was tailored specifically for their target martket (In this case: RVers! )
FMCA had to give some sort of approval for this package, so you can bet that they've looked it over carefully.
In my opinion: it's worth a shot!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:54 PM   #11

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
as an agent, and an agent for Progressive, as well as others, there certainly is nothing as an 'introductory' rate, it's not a legal option for insurers - their rate is their rate, period.

As for whether it's a 'real' rate, when you get your policy issued, you'll then know for sure, but 'quotes' are simply that - a 'quote', not an actual policy or even what you may wind up paying, after they run your driving record and pull some credit score info, etc.

Quotes are like 'quesstimates', for the most part - until you've actually gone thru the whole process of getting an actual rate will you know for sure.

As for customer service, or the like, I don't really concern myself with that, as everyone will have a differing experience with what they call 'customer service', and every insurer will say that they are the 'best' customer service company out there - it's such a subjective idea that there is actually no 'true' way to measure that.
Having said that, all insurers fall under the scrutiny of each state's Insurance Commissioner that they do business in. None can simply decide to things 'their way' instead of the normal claims processes required by each state. Some may seem easier to 'get in touch with', and some may seem 'happier' to take your call, and many will now have 'chat' capabilities within their websites, but the reality is that most of us contact an insurance company so infrequently that it's not as big a deal as some would make out.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
Quotes are like 'quesstimates', for the most part - until you've actually gone thru the whole process of getting an actual rate will you know for sure..
The quote is probably pretty accurate: it's the coverage that you'll want to look over carefully.
As far as to how they will service your policy... If you buy based upon price: you'll be getting exactly the service that you paid for.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I would have to disagree with what some would characterize as a comparison between a 'low' premium and somehow 'low' customer service, the industry has shown that the two do not correlate... the premium is the premium, no matter 'what' or 'how' the customer service end handles your requests or claims.

Buy on price, and expect adequate 'service'... that's all you can do.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:34 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1567704860
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floating Your Goat.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	20077  
Old 09-25-2019, 04:17 PM   #15

THOR #12827
Well, we made the jump from State Farm RV coverage to Progressive RV coverage. Our yearly premium dropped $274.
I called my State Farm agent and told them I was thinking of switching and asked if they could do anything about their current rate. They asked me about the coverage that Progressive was quoting and after comparing what State Farm was currently covering, their rate was actually going to go up!
For me, this was a no brainer, so we are now insured with Progressive.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:14 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Now the only question becomes: "Will the servicing of your Policy be any different?"
Old 09-25-2019, 06:08 PM   #17

THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Now the only question becomes: "Will the servicing of your Policy be any different?"
I’ll probably never know since I never had to file a claim with State Farm
Old 09-25-2019, 06:14 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Don't jinx yourself like that...

I hope that your winning streak continues!!
Old 04-24-2020, 08:04 PM   #19

Model: Looking at a Super C
State: Washington
THOR #18658
Lightbulb FMCA RV Insurance, etc.

I intently read every post on this thread and want to add my experiences.

I started (2014) with a Foremost Policy (personal trusted company) only to find out a year later that I was getting ripped off BIG Time.

In 2016 I switched to Progressive based more on price than anything and realized in 2019 (1st RV claim ever) that Progressive had done me good.
Fast forward to that 1st ever claim in 2019 and I got both ends of insurance customer service (REALLY BAD and eventually TRULY GREAT)!

We were on one of our patented road trips (north of Seattle, to Carolina Coast, Macon Ga, Jackson MS, and Houston Area TX, before stopping in Pueblo West CO. While parked we suffered a huge hail storm that literally totaled the 28' travel trailer and did close to $18k worth of damage to my truck. We were nearly 1600 miles from home (active traveler) and Progressive stated that in about 10 days they could maybe get a representative to us just for an estimate . . . .MAYBE!

That response started the boil mode in my veins and after a cool down period I managed to get in touch with a corporate representative and within 4 days we had, to my satisfaction, settled the claim. On a Saturday morning, passing through Denver enroute to home base we signed the last of the paperwork and picked up a settlement check. HURRAY for Corporate understanding the need of a traveler.

Once home and we settled on a replacement travel trailer we ultimately used Progressive again and got what I considered an acceptable policy because I wanted the "Full Cost Replacement" clause in the policy.

Just in March of this year I was offered a "FREE" quote by FMCA RV Insurance . . . I truly thought that my most recent claim would most likely give me the same rate as Progressive. Especially since some of the people in this thread said that it was Progressive quoting for FMCA.

My ultimate quote, with coverage that I requested. is literally $300 cheaper than Progressive and I was told that the quote is through "Safeco, a Liberty Mutual Company".

I am going to make that switch within the next 30 days and take my chances with the roll of these dice. We received our FMCA membership free because of the Travel Trailer we bought and I am so far impressed with what I have seen.

As a veteran of a military career (22+ years) I am skeptical of the "To Good To Be True" offers out there. FMCA has me HOOK, LINE, and SINKER!

Old 04-24-2020, 08:29 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Since the FMCA is made up of nothing but RV owners: they can work with a willing insurer to provide a very comprehensive package at a discounted price.