Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2023, 01:03 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
RV Life Pro tutorial?

As we plan our first really long (epic) trip out west for late summer, my wife is using the RV Life app. I know there's tons of features... is there an "official" how-to video tutorial? A video tutorial is preferred over written instructions... which can get tedious. THANKS!!

Old 05-16-2023, 02:03 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I think it's an unwritten rule since the beginning of smartphones that there will be no instructions/directions/tutorials on how to use the APP - they're supposed to be intuitive - but only if your brain works like the person who wrote the APP.

My advice is to forget the APP for trip planning - it's just OK to use as a GPS APP. Use a PC to log into the RV Life Trip Wizard - it's a pretty good trip planer but it seems to be getting worse as far as finding ALL campgrounds in a particular area, but it's still the best RV trip planner that I have used. There is a support area on IRV2 for it - there may also be tutorials for it there.

YouTube has several videos on how to use it as well:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...izard+tutorial
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 02:10 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
This thread should be a heads up to management to undo their problems.

At least, the very very least, hire a couple of kids from the local high school programming club to write a manual and fix/make management aware of the problems.
A donation, just a donation, gets them a manual and the students some work credit.

I can't use the app.
I don't need the complications, and it is indeed a complication.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 02:23 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
As we plan our first really long (epic) trip out west for late summer, my wife is using the RV Life app. I know there's tons of features... is there an "official" how-to video tutorial? A video tutorial is preferred over written instructions... which can get tedious. THANKS!!
We’re currently in Joshua Tree NP. This is #10 out of 26 NP’s and other POI’s. Into our 5th week out of 12. My wife did all the planning. She used a combo of google maps for driving distance. Allstays app for stays (1 HH night). And NPS app for park info. Have itinerary in word doc.

That said, we now have a cracked windshield. Arizona roads are like washboards with tar covered cracks. A rock chip in windshield. Went through a locust or grass hopper migration in Utah. The screen over my grill kept em out of the condenser/coils up front. Jack leak down issues seems resolved. Then yesterday after driving 2 hours on Hwy 247 from Barstow to JT I found a bracket and screw laying in the bathroom floor. Have searched and can’t find where it came from. Otherwise, having fun enjoying the trip.
Old 05-16-2023, 04:31 PM   #5

THOR #16721
Most of the YouTube tutorials are a year or more old. It's likely updates have (hopefully) changed the interface, so that's one issue to fumble through. Another not so problematic thing is having an app that lists campground prices. Considering prices can increase weekly - they're outdated almost immediately. We always call ahead anyway... I suggest anyone should. Note to development team... focus more on quality/campsite reviews than prices.

The most recent tutorial I readily found was by Ruff Road RV Life YouTube channel. The plan is to sit down with the wife with this tut on one screen, and the open Trip Wizard on another. Then step through and see what works well, and where we'll need to go to another app for something.

I have a massive spreadsheet compiled with Colorado points of interest. So once the planning gets there I have a great reference. But I'm trying to get as much as possible into one app.

I realize it's a giant undertaking to design, build and continually update an app/web portal like RV Life Trip Wizard. To me it just seems natural to have a constantly updated tutorial or manual - ESPECIALLY when there's been an update.

I'm trying to be positive in critiquing with the intent of improvement. I REALLY WANT to use this as a go-to trip planning tool for our upcoming RV adventures. But without updated support and guidance, it can be a struggle. Using 20 different apps is a constant juggle... I think the intent of RV Life is to minimize that. It has the potential to be the best out there.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:55 AM   #6
Mag

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
I use it for every trip. I find it very useful to gauge my estimated driving distance before needing gas. It will also show where the stations are. I like to travel between Costcos when I can. While there the attractions, places to stay and eat are readily available. Full gps and once you enter your rigs specs it shows low bridges or other hazards related to your rig. It will also give terrain gradients for a trip you plot so you can see if there's a less hilly route to take. Nothing will be perfect but this is adequate for my needs. With everything there's a learning curve but it's not awful. I do all my planning on a PC then it automatically transfers to my phone. I run with Apple so not sure if this is the same with a droid. Bottom line, to each his own. Enjoy
Old 05-17-2023, 03:12 PM   #7

THOR #16721
I typically do most of the driving, so I'm trying to get the wife "trained" using more detailed nav tools. She's very good with tech. It's a mindset thing... getting her to think ahead like I do - opening Google Maps satellite views looking at gas stations, possibly sketchy roads, etc.

She'll be doing more driving this summer, which I think will instill that "think further ahead" mindset - being aware of how to get in an out of fuel stops, etc.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:25 PM   #8
Administrator

Brand: Airstream
Model: Overlander
State: Washington
THOR #2
The RV Life app is great for point-to-point navigation and will provide RV-safe directions (low clearances, etc) BUT for robust trip planning consider logging into Trip Wizard (use a laptop). Trip Wizard and the RV LIFE app are bundled under one subscription price and your login will work both with the app and at Trip Wizard.

Use Trip Wizard to lay out extensive trips with many stops, explore alternative routes, etc. You can build multiple trips and play with your route options. Once the trip is planned your trip will sync to the RV LIFE mobile app and you can open the app on the road for turn-by-turn navigation of your already planned trip.

Here's a link to the RV LIFE Pro youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RVLIFEPRO

Look at the getting started vids and the newer trip wizard vids.
Old 05-19-2023, 12:40 AM   #9

THOR #16721
Thanks Janet. That's what I did... the web platform on PC is much more comprehensive. There are literally hundreds of settings to consider, and would be nearly impossible to do those settings on a phone app. I think of the phone app as a "follow along" tool, with limited editing functions.

I've found 3 or four YouTube vids that seem to cover most of the functions. It's a time consuming process - but we're slowly making headway.