Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2019, 05:36 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
There is supposed to be a Sprinter 4500 coming soon...
Yes, the new chassis was upgraded from 5,000 kg (11,030 pounds like yours) to a maximum of 5,500 kg (just over 12,000 pounds).

Ford also upgraded Transit for 2020 Model Year to 11,000 pounds.

I’d bet that manufacturers will just make motorhomes larger and or heavier on these because that’s what sells, not pass on the greater capacity as OCCC.

By the way, when Tiffin first came out with Class C on Sprinter, the prototype submitted for testing had rear axle at rated capacity. Total load capacity was under 500 pounds, which includes occupants. Hope they fix issue before production units, because there’s no excuse for that.

https://www.motorhome.com/top-storie...-to-the-class/

Old 11-08-2019, 07:30 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones3211 View Post
The funny thing is is my old MH was only a 20 footer and I didn’t have any space to carry stuff now that I have a 31 foot MH I don’t have the weight capacity to carry stuff but I love the floor plan

We love the 31L plan too.
I've written this several times before...but we are packrats and still under utilize the space in this thing. I get a chuckle when folks talk about class C's not having any storage space. true we don't have an excess of cavernous basement storage, but we still have extra room here and there outside...and several cabinets that are not really needed...holding things like the decorative bedspread that we never use, and a few other things that we could easily dump and never miss.... and even then there's lots of open space to be found.

I do think the 31L is a bit of an odd duck on that front, with so much counter and cabinet space. It was a good plan.

Almost every time I see a truck on the road, like a Freightliner M2, International MV series, F-650, etc....or even to a lesser degree the F-550 , I think (or say to my kids' frustration) that I'd love to have our RV house plan set onto that chassis! A tweak here and there to add significantly larger tanks, more batteries, etc... and I'd have a pretty great rig!
Old 11-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #23

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
You’re not the first to report a large Class C like the 31L that is overloaded. If you do a forum search, you’ll find others. I have read Motorhome Magazine reviews where some motorhomes had an axle overloaded when unit was empty, which I find inexcusable. It should never be allowed to happen, but apparently it does.

You didn’t mention if you weighed motorhome with full tanks or not, or how much gear you had in it. Weight you remove from further back will help most. Another issue if I recall correctly is that side-to-side weight distribution is not even, so one side of rear axle can be overloaded even worse than your scale readings suggest. Most likely you have more rear weight on passenger side.

On E-450 the rear 9,600-pound axle rating happens to be the same as tire maximum ratings, so you’re overloading tires also. I would personally not want an RV that’s overloaded in any way. If it were me, I’d empty the rig and weigh all four corners to see where the starting point is, then load from there.

Your gross combined weight is OK, so that part is good. Also, tow bars add very little hitch weight — essentially insignificant.

Tiffin Class see are terrible for that. One model after Pax's and water gives you only 95 lbs cargo. And yet they advertise all the cargo space?
Old 11-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Did you happen to read what came out on the screen?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:12 PM   #25

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Did you happen to read what came out on the screen?
SO I assume you overload yours. The reason I wont get one is because of the low low low cargo capacity. If it fits you good.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #26

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
The weak link of the E-450 is the stock tire load range. The axles can handle more but the tires are the real issue.... especially if under-inflated, over-heated, etc.

Do yourself a favor and put a set of Commercial Rated 16" tires on the rig like these:

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...tude-ht-c-type

Legally you will still be over the GVWR, but the tires will be able to handle over 18,000lbs and the likelihood of a tire failure will be greatly reduced because they tires are meant to handle heavy loads all the time unlike an LT rated tire.

The garage in our Outlaw 29H said it was rated for 1500lbs. When we put our 1000lb Syder in the garage we were 1000lbs over GVWR. With nothing in the garage, basic gear and full fuelm water and propane we were pretty close to the max weight rating.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:18 PM   #27

State: California
THOR #15490
I personally would call the manufacturer of the chassis and see what actual weight its capable of. The toad doesnt add but maybe 50lbs to the rear axle thats all tow weight. The weight of the toad vehicle isnt on the axle at all. That said chassis manufacturer ie Ford would be able to give definite answer on allowable weights. RV manufacturers severely underrate the chassis to avoid being sued when of if an accident happens.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:39 PM   #28
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampTap View Post
I personally would call the manufacturer of the chassis and see what actual weight its capable of. The toad doesnt add but maybe 50lbs to the rear axle thats all tow weight. The weight of the toad vehicle isnt on the axle at all. That said chassis manufacturer ie Ford would be able to give definite answer on allowable weights. RV manufacturers severely underrate the chassis to avoid being sued when of if an accident happens.
If you look at Fords specs they list the GVWR and GCWR for the chassis. Thor lists those on the labels and then provides the OCCC.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:00 PM   #29

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
https://www.suspensionconnection.com...motorhome.html

If you're worried, and you don't install something like this, we're just going to have to decide that you just really really love to worry.

I truly do believe that some here worry as a sport.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:10 PM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
SO I assume you overload yours. The reason I wont get one is because of the low low low cargo capacity. If it fits you good.
Yup! But I can still sleep pretty well at night: there are always other things that need to be worried about even more...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:20 PM   #31

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
https://www.suspensionconnection.com...motorhome.html

If you're worried, and you don't install these, we're just going to have to decide that you just really really love to worry.

I truly do believe that some here worry as a sport.
The have have a separate offering for the 450 the 31L sits on. Here's your options. Find something that fits in your budget and happy trails .
https://www.suspensionconnection.com...s+C+Air+Lift+l