RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-05-2016, 04:06 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,825
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
The OP is going to plug a 30 amp coach into the campgrounds 50 amp pedestal and wants to use the pedestal's 20 amp circuit to power small appliances for use with the outdoor kitchen. The current concerns are the rating of the extension cords that should be used and how to use the appliances without constantly tripping the pedestal breaker. With my prior 30 amp class C I did this on a couple of occasions at campgrounds providing 50 amp service only with an included 20 amp outlet on the pedestal. With the current 50 amp coach, I still use an extension cord off the 20 amp service at the pedestal for running the toaster etc... in the morning and the canopy LED lights at night.
I wasn't responding to the OP. I'm sorry I didn't quote "Cindysteve" but thought it was obvious I was addressing that question. I apologize for the confusion.
__________________

__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:24 PM   #42
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,818
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I wasn't responding to the OP. I'm sorry I didn't quote "Cindysteve" but thought it was obvious I was addressing that question. I apologize for the confusion.
You are correct. My comment should have stated "Cindysteve" and not the OP because that is to whom it was directed.

Now, if I understand you post correctly you are saying if 30 and 50 amp are available at the pedestal and the coach runs 30 amp to plug the coach into 30 amp and then adapt down the 50 amp to run appliances or other electrical items outside. Is this correct?
__________________

__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:09 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,825
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
You are correct. My comment should have stated "Cindysteve" and not the OP because that is to whom it was directed.

Now, if I understand you post correctly you are saying if 30 and 50 amp are available at the pedestal and the coach runs 30 amp to plug the coach into 30 amp and then adapt down the 50 amp to run appliances or other electrical items outside. Is this correct?
Dave, more or less since there are a million ways to do this. I was actually thinking that if the site has 50-Amp service, which is really 2X50-Amp in different legs (phases), then one could split a 50-Amp into two using a "Y" adapter. From that one could run the motorhome on one leg and outside remote kitchen off the other 30-Amp leg.

If a person also purchased a 50-Amp cable to run from the pedestal to the motorhome area before the split, it may help with campgrounds that don't want multiple connections at one site since one would only be using the 50-Amp plug. Or one could buy a second 30-Amp cable and install "Y" adapter at pedestal, using one for MH and other for outdoor loads.

If I were "personally" looking to use as much power as I could get from a single 50-Amp hookup, I would probably take it a step further and essentially build a small power distribution center that would run the motorhome off a 30-Amp breaker, plus another 20-Amp breaker off one leg, and then add 2 or 3 more 20-Amp breakers off the other leg. Each breaker could then power a separate cooking device up to 20-Amps. For people looking to use lots of power outdoors, it's almost like upgrading from 30- to 50-Amp service. Granted not the same but close enough if peak loads come from outdoor electric cooking.

ParkPower Y Adapter 50x30x30 - $83.99
Attached Images
 
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:22 PM   #44
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,818
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Dave, more or less since there are a million ways to do this. I was actually thinking that if the site has 50-Amp service, which is really 2X50-Amp in different legs (phases), then one could split a 50-Amp into two using a "Y" adapter. From that one could run the motorhome on one leg and outside remote kitchen off the other 30-Amp leg.

If a person also purchased a 50-Amp cable to run from the pedestal to the motorhome area before the split, it may help with campgrounds that don't want multiple connections at one site since one would only be using the 50-Amp plug. Or one could buy a second 30-Amp cable and install "Y" adapter at pedestal, using one for MH and other for outdoor loads.

If I were "personally" looking to use as much power as I could get from a single 50-Amp hookup, I would probably take it a step further and essentially build a small power distribution center that would run the motorhome off a 30-Amp breaker, plus another 20-Amp breaker off one leg, and then add 2 or 3 more 20-Amp breakers off the other leg. Each breaker could then power a separate cooking device up to 20-Amps. For people looking to use lots of power outdoors, it's almost like upgrading from 30- to 50-Amp service. Granted not the same but close enough if peak loads come from outdoor electric cooking.

ParkPower Y Adapter 50x30x30 - $83.99
I have not yet been to a site that did not have a 20 amp receptacle and breaker along with the 50 amp hookup.

Although it sounds good in concept the problem I have is if you are running exterior loads off a leg of the 50 amp circuit the extension cords used, in my mind, would then become the fuse and the potential for fire during an overload could occur. I would rather run an extension cord off the 20 amp circuit and its breaker than take a chance on a fire or frying my equipment.

Also, I have not yet been to a park that has a one cord policy so running an extension cord off the 20 amp circuit has not been an issue.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:24 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
bevedfelker's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,339
THOR #2601
Seems like a lot of this thread makes the 30-Amp service look like the Rodney Dangerfield of electric service -- it just can't get any respect.

Last summer we were camped at Ford Wilderness. We were connected to the 30 Amp service as we usually are. One morning when we got up it was about 95 degrees with 90% humidity. When my wife was making breakfast, here's the electrical we were using:

Coach lights on in bedroom and living area
TV on in living room
Wireless phone charging in USB port
Electric fry pan cooking eggs
Microwave bacon in microwave
Coffee maker making the coffee
Refrigerator set on electric
Water heater set on electric
A/C running

We never popped any circuit breakers.
__________________
Ed & Bev Felker
Retired USAF Col and retired Nurse
Traveling with Lily & Bella ('Teddy Bear' breed)
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:52 AM   #46
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,825
THOR #2121
Ed, as I recall 30-Amp service dates back to a period before RVers used so much electricity, so it would not surprise me if it slowly gets replaced by 50-Amp as the new standard.

By the way, if I had to guess, I'd bet all the loads on your list were not pulling power at same time; at least not for long. In my old Class C I could just run the AC and microwave off the generator which could produce 30 Amps or more. Granted newer equipment is more efficient, but your list appears to easily exceed 30 Amps if all were on at once.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:58 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
bevedfelker's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,339
THOR #2601
Chance you are right -- but the lights, tv, microwave, fry pan, coffee maker and A/C were all on at the same time and pulling power. The water heater and refrig -- probably not.
__________________
Ed & Bev Felker
Retired USAF Col and retired Nurse
Traveling with Lily & Bella ('Teddy Bear' breed)
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:27 AM   #48
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,871
THOR #2829
I had a 30amp unit for 4 years... never had an issue...
And the less expensive and bulky power cords are nice.
Mine had 2 AC units - I could select which one to run on shore power - if I wanted both - needed the generator to supplement.

The 50amp (100) is nice... but I've also run this unit on 30amp service with no issues.

Only time I've tripped a breaker has been with 2 appliances on the same 15amp branch. Note to self: turn off the space heater before turning on the coffee maker...

Looking at what Ed and Bev were running and some approximations:
Coach lights on in bedroom and living area - 12 volt system
TV on in living room - minimal draw
Wireless phone charging in USB port - draws even less (even a 1 amp charger' is 1 amp OUTPUT at 3.7 volts... much lower INPUT at 12v.)
Electric fry pan cooking eggs - 800 watts - 7 amps
Microwave bacon in microwave - 800 watts - 7amps
Coffee maker making the coffee - 800 watts - 7 amps
Refrigerator set on electric - likely not running
Water heater set on electric - likely not running
A/C running - 1500 watts - 13amps

I'd say you were right on the edge... not knowing the real ratings of your appliances or the settings they were on...
If the AC tried to START in that timeframe - you would have tripped the 30amp... (start requires at least 50% more power than run...)

If you have a SurgeGuard or similar with display - it will tell you what you are drawing at any point. (in total for 30amp - and by leg for 50amp.
__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:11 PM   #49
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,818
THOR #1469
I do not believe anyone was trying to give 30 AMP a bad rap but rather trying to help someone determine a setup that may work for them and their coach. My prior Class C was 30 amp and like gmc the only time I had a problem was when I turned on the space heater in the morning and then turned on the coffee pot. We also had the problem with the space heater and the microwave.

And to be perfectly honest, I tripped a breaker in the Challenger running 50 amp the same way. I had the space heater on and then turned on the coffee pot. We corrected the situation here by moving the space heater five feet and plugging into an outlet on a different circuit. I couldn't do that on my class C.

Back to the issue of using the pedestal 20 amp for the outdoor kitchen, when I started doing this with the Class C it was because Forest River did not install any exterior sidewall outlets on that coach. I had one outlet in the exterior kitchen tied to one 15 amp breaker. I also had very limited counter space around the sink so multiple appliances in that location was a non starter. Although the situation and setup are different with the Challenger, old habits are hard to break and using the 20 amp off the pedestal still works well. Besides a cord running on the ground and covered by a patio mat looks a lot better than one hanging off the side of the coach and DW likes it when the exterior setup looks "inviting".

Note to self, determine if the exterior and outdoor kitchen outlets are on the same or separate circuits. Might be nice to know in the future.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
RustyJC's Avatar
 
Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
Posts: 206
THOR #2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Also, I have not yet been to a park that has a one cord policy so running an extension cord off the 20 amp circuit has not been an issue.
Where I've run into this policy, it was instituted because owners of 50 amp rigs wouldn't pay the extra charge for 50 amp service and used "cheater boxes" to plug into the 30 amp AND 20 amp service to power their RVs. Although this wouldn't give them the theoretical 100 amps (50 amps per leg x 2 hot legs) available from correctly wired 50 amp service, it would give them a theoretical 50 amps (30 amps on L1 + 20 amps on L2) - more than available from simply adapting down and plugging into the 30 amp plug. This practice doesn't work with newer GFCI-protected 20 amp outlets in the pedestal since the 50 amp rigs have a common neutral, and the neutral leg current on the 20 amp outlet doesn't match the hot leg current - therefore, the GFCI will trip when a cheater box is used.

Some campgrounds responded with the one outlet policy. Others simply forbid the "cheater boxes".





Rusty
__________________
Rusty, Sandy, 2 Shelties (Coby & Callie) & Conner the Campground Cat
2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn Crew Cab 4x4 Dually, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10 axle, 39,100 GCWR, 30,050 trailer tow, B&W RVK3600
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:44 PM   #51
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 9,173
THOR #1150
We have a small table that we setup outside right next to the camper; next to the plugs on the side of the camper. We'll frequently run a coffee pot and a skillet from those plugs.
I can't be 100% sure that we've run everything specified in the list, but we've come close (including making toast inside the camper when the skillet is running on the outside). I can't recall ever tripping a breaker in those circumstances.
Our typical setup:
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #52
Site Team
 
EA37TS's Avatar
 
Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
Posts: 4,818
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Where I've run into this policy, it was instituted because owners of 50 amp rigs wouldn't pay the extra charge for 50 amp service and used "cheater boxes" to plug into the 30 amp AND 20 amp service to power their RVs. Although this wouldn't give them the theoretical 100 amps (50 amps per leg x 2 hot legs) available from correctly wired 50 amp service, it would give them a theoretical 50 amps (30 amps on L1 + 20 amps on L2) - more than available from simply adapting down and plugging into the 30 amp plug. This practice doesn't work with newer GFCI-protected 20 amp outlets in the pedestal since the 50 amp rigs have a common neutral, and the neutral leg current on the 20 amp outlet doesn't match the hot leg current - therefore, the GFCI will trip when a cheater box is used.

Some campgrounds responded with the one outlet policy. Others simply forbid the "cheater boxes".





Rusty
Although I have not come across that I can see where it would come into play especially if the site had an upcharge for 50 amp and the Rv'er was too cheap to pay it and/or a 50 amp site was available. It that case the site owner should ask the Rv'er to depart the area and never return.
__________________
Dave
US Army (Ret)
2020 Entegra Accolade 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:56 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,825
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
We have a small table that we setup outside right next to the camper; next to the plugs on the side of the camper. We'll frequently run a coffee pot and a skillet from those plugs.
I can't be 100% sure that we've run everything specified in the list, but we've come close (including making toast inside the camper when the skillet is running on the outside). I can't recall ever tripping a breaker in those circumstances.
Our typical setup:
Nice. Where do you store the table? Does it fold in half, or is it not that deep (hard to tell from picture)? Lack of bigger Mega Storage under beds of 24.1 has been a concern of mine since we first looked at them.



Anyway, back on topic. We tripped a breaker only once that I recall -- and it only took 3 items. The air conditioner was running (typically around 13 Amps) and I turned on the microwave (also around 13 Amps). My wife who was in bathroom and didn't know I had microwave on turned on a 1500 watt hair dryer, which tripped the main in short order. These three items alone probably pulled close to 39 Amps combined.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:41 PM   #54
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 9,173
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Nice. Where do you store the table? Does it fold in half, or is it not that deep (hard to tell from picture)? Lack of bigger Mega Storage under beds of 24.1 has been a concern of mine since we first looked at them.
The table is a standard 2' x 4' table; it doesn't fold in half and is small enough to fit in the "mega storage"/passthrough in the back. I can get to the table from either side (if I empty all the other stuff that is pile in front of it on one side).
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:37 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
bevedfelker's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,339
THOR #2601
Chance -- we have a Lifetime 2' X 4' folding table from Walmart. We use it just like Jamie's picture - set it up where the exterior plug is. Folds in half to a 2' X 2' size. We store it in the rear pass through compartment.
Lifetime 4' Fold-In-Half Adjustable Table, White Granite - Walmart.com
__________________
Ed & Bev Felker
Retired USAF Col and retired Nurse
Traveling with Lily & Bella ('Teddy Bear' breed)
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:51 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 4,825
THOR #2121
Thanks Jamie and Ed for feedback. I guess the storage areas are deceptively larger than they appear. Wasn't trying to change subject too much but the table's size caught my eye.

It'd be nice if Thor would include the same Mega Storage under the Axis 24.1 bedroom that they use on the large Class C motorhome they build for Cruise America (we've rented those before). With that setup you get about 100 cubic feet in one large compartment, plus built-in large table and a place to carry the spare tire. When I rented one for 3 weeks for a long trip with family, that storage space made all the difference. The table was great too; although badly stained from previous use.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:22 PM   #57
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: Illinois
Posts: 47
THOR #3491
OK, now somebody please verify that I have this right.

-Because of voltage drop and resistance, my best bet is 25 ft (not longer) extension cord that is 10 gauge. I must pair each cord with a surge protector. (and 25 ft is plenty long to reach a table next to the coach anyways)

-Running two cords from each 20 amp receptacle will help split the load, and would net a bit more power (providing it does not violate any park outlet usage policy).

-Alternately, I can use a step down dogbone splitter going 50 amp to 15 amp and net even greater power. (when there is both 50 amp and 30 amp receptacles and it does not violate any maximum outlet policies.)

-If I am going to use the induction plate on high, worst case is I have to plug the toaster into the coach receptacle. (unless I use the 50 amp with a splitter where I will have plenty of power.)

Please verify that I now indeed have this figured out, or correct me if needed. Thanks!
__________________
Cindysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:35 PM   #58
Member
 
Pappydude's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
Posts: 58
THOR #2824
DARN, to bad you don't live in Oregon - I have one of each for sale. I got bought both for my 5th wheel and got rid of it. Now I don't need them for my Thor ACE 29.4........
__________________
Pappydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #59
KNK
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace
State: Virginia
Posts: 11
THOR #5877
Hooking up to residential service

I'm a new owner of a RV. We will be visiting family over Thanksgiving. I purchased a "dog bone" to go from the RV (30 amp) to residential service. Having an extension cord appropriate for this use, what other concerns should I have while getting electric from a residence?
__________________
KNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:40 PM   #60
Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
 
TurnerFam's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.3 34'bunkhouse
State: Georgia
Posts: 2,443
THOR #4735
to SUM all of this up...

the more you travel, camp, and boondock, the more you realize you need an adapter for every sort of different and varied situation, though you seem to never have the right one at the moment : /

we've traveled a LOT, and every park and campground is slightly different, sometimes VERY different, but all never exactly the same. All the adapters and extension cords we have hardly every get used, but they are there for the times when you least expect you might need them.

-we've plugged into a church's outside 15a outlet when parked overnight, adapted from 50a to 30a when at a older campground, and adapted down to a 15a plug running a 100' extension cord to an outlet in a campground bathroom

-we've even adapted TWO 30a rv site outlets to our 50a coach, and included another extension cord to an additional 15a outlet, for '75 amp' service

it never ends... but it's nice when you're prepared, even when you're not : )
__________________

__________________
the Turners
'14 Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse 34' diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish HD, 100w/5a SOLAR, BlueOx
110,000+mi since '14 - US, Alaska, Canada (also, '14 Gulfstream Amerilite and '07 ForestRiver Rockwood) : )b
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×