RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2015, 01:31 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.2
State: South Carolina
THOR #2915
Exclamation RV Park safety

I have been looking at RV parks/resorts. I really liked the pet friendly one in NC. After watching their YouTube video I noticed that a RV park can get very busy. This makes me worry a bit about the safety of my children. Has anyone ever experienced accidents or hazards that one should look out for? Please share.

Dan

"Be all that you can be!"
Dan9841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:47 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
In general RV parks are very safe places. We've been taking our son camping since he was a few months old (he is now 13) to various parks without incident to us and him.

In that time I can only recall two instances of anything happening while we were camping. In both cases it wasn't anyone in our party (a bathroom caught on fire once because a hand dryer shorted out and a little girl on a bike ran into a golf cart; they had an ambulance & fire crews out for that one but I don't know the aftermath). I hope my one example doesn't detract you..one incident in over 10 years is pretty good.

We do frequent a very popular KOA that always is filled with families. They strictly enforce a slow speed due to the non-vehicle traffic on the roads (of course this is the campground where the girl/golf cart collision happened).

They are really no different than taking your children to a busy park or amusement park.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:17 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: Virginia
THOR #1469
I agree with Jamie that in general most RV parks are very safe places. I also found that if the park has some type of hazard a good park host will make you aware of that hazard at check in. For example during our return from Fort Wilderness in January we stayed at a park in SC. Upon check in the host informed us that if we walked the trail around the park to keep an eye out for alligators.

Also, night time presents its own hazards in parks. Children are still riding bicycles, parents sometimes cheat and let under aged children drive golf carts around, and children from 6 - 62 are walking back and forth from bath houses. We as adults need to be extremely careful during these times as we are leaving and returning to the park.

If I were a betting man my money would be on you banging your head so hard you see stars on the edge of a slide before your children receive their first campground wound.

My advice, pack a good first aid kit with lots of band aids and let the children have fun.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:24 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.2
State: South Carolina
THOR #2915
Thank you for the information. I will definitely make sure to have a good first aid kit. My children all need to be wraped in bubble wrap anyhow. Thank again,

Dan

"Be all that you can be!"
Dan9841 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children, dogs, rv park safety, speed