Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 02:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
RV Pricing

As we know, RV pricing is abnormally high lately, last year and half, and much speculation how long will it last. My prediction is, not much longer. Why, inflation, fuel shortages and pricing, interest rates, disillusionment, and current high pricing. Don't believe the predictions this is the "new normal" and get used to it. Those industry predictions are self serving and have all the honesty of a salesman telling you, "oh it'll tow that just fine".

Inflation is starting and here for a while which is driving the cost of everything up. That's going to continue until there is a major shakeup in government but will be slow coming because government is self serving and what comes out of them is self serving, i.e. what can they do to keep getting elected, honestly or not, most likely NOT.

Fuel shortages will make our life uncomfortable and RV travel which is short on many comforts will be "unfun" for many and many will get out. If you can't get fuel you can't go anywhere. If fuels are in short supply, utilities will cut back and blackouts, rolling brown outs, will prevail. In an RV with the wonderful insulation they have will be unbearable to be in. Predictions of propane shortages already happening.

With out of control government spending and debt, interest rates will surely rise making purchases out of reach for many and those with teaser variable rates now find themselves with rising rates and payments and with other rising costs, lose or have to sell the RV.

Disillusionment when the advertised RV experience isn't there. Rising park rates, crude conditions in parks that can't afford to maintain them, crowded parks with many people who have an unfounded sense of entitlement and its "all about them" attitude and behavior. Rising costs of everything.

Current high pricing preventing many from purchasing and maintaining their RV. Shortages of workers, good workers, and a buyer who bought one and finds it parked at the dealer for most of the 12 month warranty waiting on a disrupted supply chain and someone qualified to fix it when or if a part comes in. When the warranty is gone an owner trying to fix it themselves and finding a manufacturer won't sell you the part, you have to go to the dealer. The dealer might insist they install the part IF they will order it for you.

Pretty grim outlook in my opinion and many will take the ostrich approach to it. Many here don't remember or weren't alive during the times we were painfully dependent for energy from an unstable Middle East. Or the clown administration of the 70s that led to interest rates in the high teens. A crippled military that made us even more dependent to the unstable areas around the globe.

Starting to sound familiar with us dependent on unfriendly countries for essential services and parts. Look at car dealerships and the shortages of parts that come from "where"???

EDIT adding, if this thread survives the end of the day, please keep comments honest and as non-political as possible in a world where everything has become political.

2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-10-2021, 03:59 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
"Out of Control Government Spending"
Debt increase by Presidency
Trump 4 years 33.62%
Obama 8 years 69.98%
Geo. W Bush 8 years 105.8%
Clinton 8 years 31.64%
Geo HW Bush 4 years 54.39%
Reagan 8 years 186.36 %
Carter 4 years 42.79%
Ford 3 years 47.11 %
Nixon 5 years 34.3%
About as far back as I actually paid attention to stuff like the debt.
There are Presidents of both parties on that list. Common denominator; the National Debt increases over EVERY Presidents term. You have to go all the back to Calvin Coolidge and the start of the depression to see no debt increase.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Old 11-10-2021, 04:04 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
as long as I'm not singled out, as in:
'As an elected official I am out to destroy ducksface'
and my chanced are to be equally blessed or ruined by command decisions and acts of aggression:

I'll do better than 98% of the populace.
I have an alternative plan against anything thrown, collectively, at me.
I'll always do better because I'll always do more, here, now, for me and mine.
An 850 mile day/drive or a 96 hour work week won't/hasn't scare me now or past, imagine what can be done due to necessity.

Those here who have met me know I don't have a plan b.
I have a plan k-7 with subsets.

If you have an absolute and oft spoken solution for the problems in Afghanistan, while having a crack-head daughter by your third marriage living in your basement, then yup, you're gonna be in trouble, good national/world state of affairs or bad.

They can elect a three legged poodle, and I'll STILL do better than 98%.

No brag, just fact(look it up. It's a fun thing)

I suggest everyone try a bit harder LONG before 'a bit harder' won't be enough.

Rid yourself of the boat, the jewelry, the excess...while you can(unless your plan c-36 has a bail-out formulated into it)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:25 PM   #4

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Absolutely correct and few could honestly argue your points. Both parties, curious why that term is used since a party is supposed to be fun, are guilty as hell. I'll give Reagan credit and a partial pass because much of his budget was in response to the peanut farmer's decimating the military and his efforts to counter soviet threats. But debt not paid for is damaging. I personally am in pretty good shape and have always spent carefully and wisely. Never the biggest house or car/truck. Saved $$$ like crazy through the years and right now other than a truck loan at 0%, I have no debt other than monthly expenditures to a CC. Yes the 0% meant I paid more but taking investment $$$ out which at the time earned better returns, to have no payment wasn't financially smart for me. I hate the payment but since it's 0% I'd have to take investment money making more than 0% to pay it off.

Am I bragging, yep? Am I rich, no but rich is relative? My training, yes I'm trainable despite what my girl friend says and thinks, always has a plan and backup planS. Yes emphasis on the S.

Depreciation is meaningless until you plan to sell and if you or anyone else didn't think a vehicle depreciates, we have a saying in the south, "well bless your heart". Appreciation is also meaningless as it's only a paper gain until the next round of guess what, DEpreciation. Don't think housing can depreciate, think back to 2008 or so. Yes the sky is falling and the sky doesn't consist of fuel pricing, interest rates, tax rates, inflation in general. Those things and a few others go into the "sky is rising" category.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-10-2021, 04:33 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
You need to adjust your response a bit.
Remove names and political curcumstsnces to keep the thread open.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:39 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
There is NO WAY this will not turn into a political frenzy... citizens have been (and continue to be) bombarded with propaganda telling them who to blame.

Unfortunately, most are simply too lazy minded to do the research needed to educate themselves about how the economy works, and discover the who/why it's controlled the way it currently is. They resort to what they have been told ad nauseam... blame the politicians.

And the convenient and effective "political theater" of two "opposition parties" continues to fool the suckers.