Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2020, 07:52 PM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
State: Arizona
THOR #13468
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
You need to look into registering in South Dakota. Go online and look at what they offer. You can become a resident in 24 hrs, change over your driver's license and vehicle registrations. Just type in how to become a South Dakota Resident. If you do go forward with the driver's license, you need to spend one night every 5 years to renew it. There are companies that will help you with the process and supply you with an address for mail services.
My snow-bird neighbor was a resident of South Dakota (until he moved to Wyoming) and used to tell me how inexpensive it was to register an RV in that state, but I was never sure exactly how the insurance worked, nor if living in Arizona with a vehicle registered in South Dakota was entirely legal as far as Arizona was concerned, In the end I just kept my RV registered here.

That does not mean that I have not thought from time to time about changing that. Pretty much every year when I have to renew my registration and fork over all that money to Arizona ($1800+ for this year) I wonder if the process is really seamless as far as Arizona is concerned. Surely they don't want to be losing all of that money, and surely they don't consider it to be entirely legal. Or is it one of those things that the state does not like, but can not do anything about?

Old 12-23-2020, 08:03 PM   #42

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by ador View Post
We live in Nevada. Yesterday, we registered our 2021 THOR ACE. State of NV is basing the registration on MSRP. And the registration is ANNUAL. Our total cost for 1 year is a whopping $2,650. We did got around $300 credit from our previous registration on the RV we traded. So we paid $2,350. Every year, the registration cost will go down, but not by much.

For example, when we got our 2015 Class C (MSRP $98K), our initial registration I remembered was around $1,580. Last year we paid $980 (after 5 years of ownership).

So, I would think in 5 year time, our registration will still be around 2K/year. In theory, I will be paying around 20K in registration fees in 10 years.

I remembered reading that there are some states that RV registration is every 2 or 3 years? Can we purchase a small property (piece of land) and register our RV in one of those states?

P.S. I am not asking for a loophole advise. Just want to know if there is a legitimate/legal way to purchase an out of state property, and register our RV in that State. NV is my home state where we live and work.

Travel north. That machine would be about $400 per year in Idaho. But to register in Idaho you’d first have to pay the sales tax...probably about $6,000.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:37 PM   #43

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
He's already left. Nobody said anything about Tesla leaving (yet, Elon has threatened to move the company out of state).
Ahh, you meant Musk the person, as opposed to Musk's companies. Okay.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:47 PM   #44

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
My snow-bird neighbor was a resident of South Dakota (until he moved to Wyoming) and used to tell me how inexpensive it was to register an RV in that state, but I was never sure exactly how the insurance worked, nor if living in Arizona with a vehicle registered in South Dakota was entirely legal as far as Arizona was concerned, In the end I just kept my RV registered here.

That does not mean that I have not thought from time to time about changing that. Pretty much every year when I have to renew my registration and fork over all that money to Arizona ($1800+ for this year) I wonder if the process is really seamless as far as Arizona is concerned. Surely they don't want to be losing all of that money, and surely they don't consider it to be entirely legal. Or is it one of those things that the state does not like, but can not do anything about?
Having lived in Arizona before moving back to Washington state they don’t care. But in my case Washington state cares. If you bought the vehicle as a private party and didn’t have to pay sales tax, Washington state will make you pay sales tax here when you license it. If you paid sales tax in Arizona then Washington won’t charge you. I am not sure if it’s an agreement where since you are no longer a resident of Arizona so you lose that benefit so Washington is collecting and splitting it with Arizona or if Washington state is just screwing us. That would be something to check though. I guess though if you had to pay 1800 a year for tabs in Arizona if you can lower your tabs to a few hundred dollars you would break even pretty quick even if you had to pay sales tax if you registered it in another state.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:13 PM   #45

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
Texas registration

I have a 2018 ACE and I paid $134.50 for my yearly registration in Smith county, Texas. I don't know what you have to do to claim residency here.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:10 PM   #46

Model: Grand Design Imagine 2250
THOR #18658
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
All of that said...
If you are active Military you fall into a different category.
I live by a marine base. There are lots and lots of out of state plates from active military in and around my town.
Military gets a special exception vs civilians.
The military falls under the "Tri-State-Clause" designed strictly for military life scenarios.
It intimates that the "military member" may have his/her vehicle registered in one state, drivers license in another state, and home of record in yet another state, but each case "must" be clearly defined.
That clause actually debunks (at least for military members) what many in this thread are suggesting.

USMC Retired 22y3m23d active and retired now for 30y2m20d
Old 12-23-2020, 10:11 PM   #47

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: Georgia
THOR #14365
Wow! 😲 GA has a one time ad valorem tax based on the value of the vehicle. We bought a 2014 Freedom Elite 28H in 2/2019 with 13k miles on it. Our registration last year was $1628. This year, renewal was $20 and will be $20/year from here on out unless they raise it. This is also the case with cars and trucks and motorcycles.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:23 PM   #48

Model: Grand Design Imagine 2250
THOR #18658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
Having lived in Arizona before moving back to Washington state they don’t care. But in my case Washington state cares. If you bought the vehicle as a private party and didn’t have to pay sales tax, Washington state will make you pay sales tax here when you license it. If you paid sales tax in Arizona then Washington won’t charge you. I am not sure if it’s an agreement where since you are no longer a resident of Arizona so you lose that benefit so Washington is collecting and splitting it with Arizona or if Washington state is just screwing us. That would be something to check though. I guess though if you had to pay 1800 a year for tabs in Arizona if you can lower your tabs to a few hundred dollars you would break even pretty quick even if you had to pay sales tax if you registered it in another state.
Washington State ensures that the vehicle has had the taxes paid at the Washington State rate. If you only paid 4% in Arizona (and it is documented) then that 4% is substracted form the Washington State rate (mine is 8.3% in Whatcom County WA) and the registering party pays the difference . . . .it is usually based on current market value and Washington State is not real kind to "legitimate market value"!
Old 12-23-2020, 10:49 PM   #49

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6805 View Post
The military falls under the "Tri-State-Clause" designed strictly for military life scenarios.
It intimates that the "military member" may have his/her vehicle registered in one state, drivers license in another state, and home of record in yet another state, but each case "must" be clearly defined.
That clause actually debunks (at least for military members) what many in this thread are suggesting.

USMC Retired 22y3m23d active and retired now for 30y2m20d
Thanks.
It was such a narrow niche, I just didn't bother to give the correct answer.

Thanks for the facts.

I'm pretty sure an active duty military person with the wherewithal to have a MotorHome worthy of speculating about license fees knows the correct rules.

Changing home of record not a flippant thing to do.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:54 PM   #50

State: California
THOR #15490
But you have to factor in sales tax as well when looking at this like in Cali we pay 10% sales tax when we purchase then my registration is based on GVRW and purchase price so at 150,000 for my 34j I paid 15,000 in sales tax as well as 1200 registration each year for registration then there is the "luxury" tax they throw on my property tax every year because my rv and boat. Thats another 1000 a year. So while my registration is "cheaper" in reality it is more they just hide it in other fees.
Old 12-24-2020, 01:35 AM   #51

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Texas isn't that bad. I paid 6.5% sales tax at the time of sale and then I pay $3.00 a year for DV plates. The annual safety inspection is around $7.50 and no income tax to boot.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 01:45 AM   #52

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Montana my friends..we paid only $300 at the dealer, no MH TAX, and $370 to register! Move here
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 01:52 AM   #53
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Texas isn't that bad. I paid 6.5% sales tax at the time of sale and then I pay $3.00 a year for DV plates. The annual safety inspection is around $7.50 and no income tax to boot.
Question: How hot does it get around Midland, TX in the Summer?
Old 12-24-2020, 02:11 AM   #54

THOR #18343
Wow even New York uses Vaseline, the initial cost on our 2018 which included sales tax was $5500. After that it’s less than $200.
Old 12-24-2020, 02:39 AM   #55

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Thread is about registration cost. But I didn’t see anyone mention personal property taxes. I live in Indiana and it used to be that registration was cheap but property tax could be in the thousands. People fussed about it so they stopped charging property taxes but then added a similarly sized excise tax on registration. They get your money one way or the other.
Old 12-24-2020, 03:00 AM   #56
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Virginia is one of those states where the tags are cheap but the Personal Property Tax every year can be a nightmare. There are a couple of counties (at least one) that does not assess the Personal Property Tax on RVs and boats that are garaged or stored there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Virginia used to (I don't know about now) only charge 2% sales tax on vehicle purchases instead of the normal 4 or 5% sales tax on everything else. But they sure got it back on the annual PPT, plus they gotcha with income tax if you're a working stiff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Thread is about registration cost. But I didn’t see anyone mention personal property taxes. I live in Indiana and it used to be that registration was cheap but property tax could be in the thousands. People fussed about it so they stopped charging property taxes but then added a similarly sized excise tax on registration. They get your money one way or the other.
Really?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:03 AM   #57

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Question: How hot does it get around Midland, TX in the Summer?
The summers in Midland aren't too bad. It probably tops out around 100 on a regular day in late April, early May. But it's a dry heat.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:06 AM   #58

THOR #18343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Pete, correct here in NY like I said even though we purchased in RI when we registered we had to pay Sales tax plus registration plus $20.00 per year excise tax. But that’s a one time hit! Except for registration and $40 excise tax every two years. We don’t pay propert tax every year.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #59
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
The summers in Midland aren't too bad. It probably tops out around 100 on a regular day in late April, early May. But it's a dry heat.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:35 PM   #60

State: Georgia
THOR #16797
In Georgia, you pay the initial Sales tax which is also the 'Value Added Tax' and then every year, you pay a small premium. We have a 2016 Sightseer and after paying sales tax, pay $70 a year for the tag. - not bad.