Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2020, 03:44 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Happy Holidays proud rv owners! Next year sales will be massive and more of us on the road! Summer in montana is amazing and most everything open !

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:10 PM   #62

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Don’t try to register in a state that you do not domicile in. You could be in for a lot of fines if caught. And states need money, so they will be looking at ways to generate it, by catching people trying to bypass things. If you don’t want to pay that much you may want to consider moving to another state. As falsely stating where you live is illegal.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:26 PM   #63
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Don’t try to register in a state that you do not domicile in. You could be in for a lot of fines if caught. And states need money, so they will be looking at ways to generate it, by catching people trying to bypass things. If you don’t want to pay that much you may want to consider moving to another state. As falsely stating where you live is illegal.
As has been brought up before, many states, if not all states have provisions for registering vehicles in their state by non-residents of the state. NH and DE are two examples below:

Quote:
Non-Domicile Vehicle Registration
Delaware law allows non-residents to register a vehicle in Delaware if they meet certain conditions. They would need to provide the following documents to any DMV location:

A copy of a registration and proof of insurance for a vehicle owned in the state where they are a resident.
A copy of their drivers license from their resident state.
Proof of Delaware insurance for the vehicle that will be garaged in Delaware.
The vehicle garaged in Delaware must pass Delaware inspection and pay all applicable titling and registration fees.
Additionally, the customer will sign an affidavit that the vehicle will not leave Delaware. Violations of the non-domicile provisions is insurance fraud and can result in fines up to $10,000. (example: click here for the form MV680)
The last line is the "Gotcha" for RVs.

Quote:
How do I register a vehicle as an Out of State Resident?
You must verify your non-residence status by showing proof of homeowner (ie. tax bill/utility bill), filling out a notarized Non Resident Statement Affidavit, and presenting your current driver's license. We will then register the vehicle. The vehicle must be garaged primarily at the legal address in New Hampshire
So bottom line is: do your due diligence of the laws of the State you want to register your vehicle in. Relying on what you read on an Internet forum is foolhardy.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 03:30 AM   #64

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
As has been brought up before, many states, if not all states have provisions for registering vehicles in their state by non-residents of the state. NH and DE are two examples below:

So bottom line is: do your due diligence of the laws of the State you want to register your vehicle in. Relying on what you read on an Internet forum is foolhardy.
I would think most states would love for you to register there and never be there. As the state that you don’t live in is more then happy to take your money. It’s the state that you really live in, will not tolerate it. They would be the ones coming after you. There are tag readers so they can document when you come in and it would be up to you to prove that you left the state. I think most states give you 90 days to change your license and tags.
In encouraging or saying it’s OK to do something illegal is not cool.
Old 12-25-2020, 03:33 AM   #65

THOR #1658
Quote:

Laws about the posters state:
Do I Have to Register My Car in Nevada?Top ↑
You must register your vehicle in Nevada if you are a resident as outlined below or a non-resident who meets certain conditions. The initial fine for failing to register your vehicle in Nevada is $1,000.

New residents must obtain their driver license and vehicle registration within 30 days. See our New Resident Guide. In most vehicle sales, the deadline to register the vehicle is 30 days from the date of the sale.

Nevada Revised Statutes 482.103 "Resident" defined.
"Resident" includes, but is not limited to, a person:
Whose legal residence is in the State of Nevada.
Who engages in intrastate business and operates in such a business any motor vehicle, trailer or semi trailer, or any person maintaining such vehicles in this state, as the home state of such vehicles.
Who physically resides in this state and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this state.
Who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state.
The term does not include a person who is an actual tourist, an out-of-state student, a foreign exchange student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident.
Non-Residents
Certain non-residents also must register their vehicles in Nevada. You must register your vehicle here:

if your vehicle is operated in Nevada for more than 30 days in a calendar year
if you engage in a trade, profession or occupation or accept gainful employment in Nevada
if you enroll your children in a public school in Nevada
if you furnish a vehicle to a Nevada resident for continuous use here
Exemptions
There are some exemptions. You are not required to register your vehicle here if you are:

on active duty in the military service of the United States
an out-of-state student
a registered student at a college or university located outside Nevada and in the state for a period of not more than 6 months to participate in a work-study program for which you earn academic credits from the college or university
a migrant or seasonal farm worker
a border state employee (commute into Nevada for employment within 35 miles of the border)
Old 12-25-2020, 03:46 AM   #66

THOR #1658
Quote:

From Nevada’s DMV website:

Registering your vehicle in the state of Nevada is required for anyone that is a resident of the state, or certain non-residents that fit specific criteria. If you fail to register your car in the state of Nevada you risk receiving a $1,000 fine.
Old 12-25-2020, 03:47 AM   #67
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
Laws about the posters state:
Do I Have to Register My Car in Nevada?Top ↑
You must register your vehicle in Nevada if you are a resident as outlined below or a non-resident who meets certain conditions. The initial fine for failing to register your vehicle in Nevada is $1,000.

New residents must obtain their driver license and vehicle registration within 30 days. See our New Resident Guide. In most vehicle sales, the deadline to register the vehicle is 30 days from the date of the sale.

Nevada Revised Statutes 482.103 "Resident" defined.
"Resident" includes, but is not limited to, a person:
Whose legal residence is in the State of Nevada.
Who engages in intrastate business and operates in such a business any motor vehicle, trailer or semi trailer, or any person maintaining such vehicles in this state, as the home state of such vehicles.
Who physically resides in this state and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this state.
Who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state.
The term does not include a person who is an actual tourist, an out-of-state student, a foreign exchange student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident.
Non-Residents
Certain non-residents also must register their vehicles in Nevada. You must register your vehicle here:

if your vehicle is operated in Nevada for more than 30 days in a calendar year
if you engage in a trade, profession or occupation or accept gainful employment in Nevada
if you enroll your children in a public school in Nevada
if you furnish a vehicle to a Nevada resident for continuous use here
Exemptions
There are some exemptions. You are not required to register your vehicle here if you are:

on active duty in the military service of the United States
an out-of-state student
a registered student at a college or university located outside Nevada and in the state for a period of not more than 6 months to participate in a work-study program for which you earn academic credits from the college or university
a migrant or seasonal farm worker
a border state employee (commute into Nevada for employment within 35 miles of the border)

So all that to say Nevada not only allows non-residents to register their vehicles in the state but actually requires some non-residents to register vehicles in the state.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 03:55 AM   #68

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Alabama
THOR #20803
I'd say yes you can buy property elsewhere, but just a piece of land may not work. My father passed in Jun and first of this month my mom handed me a deed to a lil piece of property in FL. And I discovered I can't change residency to it because it's not developed, ie, septic/water or electric utilities assigned. Once I get one of them done I can claim it. You see moral is we bought RV in Aug, had to annual renew RV in Nov for all Alabama registrants.
Toad-undecided
Thor 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 07:36 AM   #69

THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor 25 View Post
I'd say yes you can buy property elsewhere, but just a piece of land may not work. My father passed in Jun and first of this month my mom handed me a deed to a lil piece of property in FL. And I discovered I can't change residency to it because it's not developed, ie, septic/water or electric utilities assigned. Once I get one of them done I can claim it. You see moral is we bought RV in Aug, had to annual renew RV in Nov for all Alabama registrants.
If he bought a piece of land somewhere and wanted to use it as a registered address, he would have to reside there for more then 6 months. Then that would qualify him in that state as his legal domicile. But he clearly states that he lives and works in Nevada. If you don’t like what a state taxes you, you are always free to leave it. This is why we have so many states. They all have different beliefs reflected on how they tax their residents.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:40 AM   #70

THOR #1658
Quote:
So all that to say Nevada not only allows non-residents to register their vehicles in the state but actually requires some non-residents to register vehicles in the state.
Yes, they want your money. And clearly they charge a lot to register vehicles there. I have heard stories of California sending notices to people mandating them to change their license and register their cars there because they can prove that they in fact staying and working there and not visiting.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:48 AM   #71

THOR #1658
Quote:
You can buy an RV in any state, and then it gets registered in your hone state. You do not get double taxed on it. I bought my Ram and Mazda in MD and had it registered in SD. I did not pay MD sales tax or registration, just $20 for a temp tag while my SD registration work was being done. nd my DRV was purchased at a dealer in Indiana and it was the same as MD. As I was settling on my house in 60 days and had already switched to a SD drivers license. I spent less then 6 months that year in MD, so I did not have to file MD taxes as that was not my legal domicile state.
Old 12-25-2020, 01:20 PM   #72

State: New York
THOR #18343
Quote:
So, your best option would be to run electric water and sewer into the property! After which you can legally register and also park your rig with full hook up!
Old 12-25-2020, 02:13 PM   #73

THOR #20220
Anyone out here in there RV,? Big Sky, outside Bozeman, reports a lot of soft powder on the sides of the runs,* and more than 2,200 acres open for your social distancing pleasure.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 12-25-2020, 02:53 PM   #74

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Anyone out here in there RV,? Big Sky, outside Bozeman, reports a lot of soft powder on the sides of the runs,* and more than 2,200 acres open for your social distancing pleasure.

Winter camping in Montana is a bit too stout for me! But we’ll be heading up there for a month come summer. Our grown son recently moved to Missoula and it gives us just the “excuse” we need to go explore that beautiful part of our grand country. Looking forward it.
Old 12-25-2020, 04:32 PM   #75

THOR #20220
Petermh make sure you go to the Bozeman hot springs and you can rv right next to 7 pools!
Old 12-25-2020, 07:44 PM   #76

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Only move here if you are fiscally conservative and want to avoid nanny state rules and regulations. We have had an influx of morons from the more fiscally liberal states and the first thing they do is vote in the types of politicians that made their old states to expensive to live in. If you want to move to Texas, please leave your tax and spend ideas behind.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:00 PM   #77
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Why do you think I'm so interested? My concern is the heat of the Summer. Looking at the area around Midland; it looks to only be about 10 degrees warmer than what,we're used to.
And I'm such a Conservative: I make President Reagan () appear to be Walter Mondale's twin...
Old 12-25-2020, 08:07 PM   #78

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
OK, I'm not a fan of Texas in general(mostly because it's too big and diversified to be lumped into 'texas' and they're a bit boundary bound with the whole 'texas is tops' thing), and I've heard it's changed since I researched it, but I loved the San Angelo area. I've been told I was really really wrong but it just felt natural and like home.
I did not like Corpus Christy nor lake corpus Christy, but the weather was very moderate.
My likes are abstract(as I've been told because I liked San Angelo) so I guess I'm telling you except for snow(and I think most of riudoso nm is owned by Texans,) you can pick any weather you want.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:12 PM   #79
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
I've got a hunting buddy in San Antonio, and his oldest Daughter lives in,Austin...
So I get reports...
Old 12-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #80

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Only move here if you are fiscally conservative and want to avoid nanny state rules and regulations. We have had an influx of morons from the more fiscally liberal states and the first thing they do is vote in the types of politicians that made their old states to expensive to live in. If you want to move to Texas, please leave your tax and spend ideas behind.
It’s interesting to see the CA crowd move to TX to get more for their money & escape government tyranny.
Only to vote the same progressive way once they arrive in their new TX home.

But this is what they do and it’s a view into the “one party rule” future.
Here’s hoping that “the future” is a century away!