Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2020, 03:09 PM   #81
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We are really starting to "leak into" a political discussion...

Old 12-26-2020, 05:06 PM   #82

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
As far as weather goes, you may be accustomed to it getting hot were you live, but that heat only last for a couple of days, once the summer gets going. In the southwest it can get hot and I mean hot as early as February and stay hot until Thanksgiving. Believe me, as a damned Yankee, you are not prepared for that kind of heat. Add the heat to the fact that the locals don't want you here and you are in for a miserable retirement. Texas claims to be a friendly place, but I've lived here for 35 years and people still comment on how I'm not from around here. I would suggest you look into Oklahoma for a retirement spot. The folks are friendlier and the heat doesn't last as long.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:18 AM   #83

Brand: Entegra
Model: 2021 Emblem 36U
State: Virginia
THOR #21648
I am brand new to RVing. not sure if this idea would work legally

https://www.49dollarmontanaregistere...n/rv-motorhome

You register a LLC in MT and title the RV to that LLC - no sales tax in MT and no personal property tax. Sounds too good to be true ?
Old 12-28-2020, 06:40 AM   #84

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by witthuus View Post

You register a LLC in MT and title the RV to that LLC - no sales tax in MT and no personal property tax. Sounds too good to be true ?
They have had this out for a while. But if you live in another state you would be defrauding the state that you live in. And that is a crime.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:48 AM   #85
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:

Welcome to the forum!
Old 12-28-2020, 02:47 PM   #86

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Exclamation

Quote:

the ability to be 'mobile' is one that is lost on most states, as they are designed to handle their 'residents', not those who are just 'passing thru' or who are already 'residents' of another state. We live in a nation of STATES, not a single national 'law' when it comes to these things - hence the issues and the questions and the concerns.
A year or so ago a ATL tv station made mention of a number of 'residents' who had vehicles parked in their driveways with a tag from another 'state', such as the one mentioned above. Ultimately, they made such a outcry about it, the owners reluctantly reverted back to the proper tags for the state in which they 'really' reside. I'm sure they were not happy, but their 'other state' tags simply helped now make them a focus for those who don't see this as 'fair' for the rest of us. True.
Many in the RV world will become 'full-time' mobile lifestyle RVrs, and may not truly own any 'land' property anywhere, and therefore might be fairly able to 'register' in any state which may allow them to, but the other 99.99999% of those who own an RV, or a vehicle of any sort, the registration state is the one that they reside in.
Can you 'reside' in a state that you are not in physically? No. Are there questions about how 'long' you must be in a state in order to claim residency? Yes. Is there confusion about the difference in various states and their own requirements? Certainly.

Some of us ask for Permission before doing something.
Some of us ask for Forgiveness after doing something, if ever needed.

In some areas where attractions exists for people from many states, and out-of-state tag might never draw any attention, especially in those states which have many various types of tags available, i.e., specialty tags, and in some areas seeing an out-of-state tag will draw the attention of almost everyone.
If you are in Florida, I doubt anyone will care. If you are in rural Georgia, you may find it very different. Is it illegal? Probably not. Does it make for an interesting conversation if you happen to be pulled over by the authorities? Certainly. Will they send you to jail. Absolutely not.

Why do I state all these things? Because, yes, some states tend to have much less 'costs' to live in, such as Alaska, while others tend to tax you to death. I get the need to try to usurp such costs, but to what end.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #87

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Montana!!
Hire Us to Register Your RV
Registering an RV in Montana is easier than one might think. You don’t need to go into the local DMV office. Our DMV is the Flathead County DMV and we don’t have a county option tax.

We only charge $549 to register your RV with the DMV after we form your LLC for $300 (this does not include the luxury tax). This fee includes same-day LLC formation, courier delivery of the license plates and registration paperwork back to you, and the initial DMV fees. Within a week, you will receive your registration and new plates. When you get your renewal notice from the DMV in a year, you just pay the DMV directly. We don’t mark up their fees or try to sell you something you don’t actually need.

Renewals are sent out with a post card each year to your mailing address or your Montana LLC’s address yearly. Even if you don’t get the renewal, you can pay it online and the DMV will mail a new registration sticker to you. Or, you can pay by faxing in the credit card payment to the Flathead DMV at 406-758-5863. Include a cover letter that has your preferred address on it with the fax. You can even call the Flathead DMV at 406-758-5690 and pay your registration with a credit card over the phone.

Montana has permanent address plates for travel trailers and vehicles that are 11 or more years old, so depending on how old your rig is, you might not even have to worry about renewals.

When we set up Montana LLCs, it only costs $300 for the all-inclusive package and one-day processing. It’s the cheapest Montana LLC service out there!

If you purchased a car from a dealership, be advised that Flathead County is no longer accepting paperwork from dealerships. If the dealership sends your paperwork to the county, they will send it back. Make sure you request to personally submit your new vehicle documentation.

For the forms to send in, and step-by-step instructions, please read through Montana Vehicle Registration.

Please see our Resources page for the link to online RV registration renewal with the Montana DMV.

For insurance information, see our Insuring Your RV in Montana page
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #88

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
When we purchased sales rep said folks do this all the time!!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:08 PM   #89
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
When we purchased sales rep said folks do this all the time!!
That may be true... But ask the salesman where his personal RV is registered...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #90
EV2

Model: Tiburon
State: Arizona
THOR #1264
There is a great deal of misinformation here. Please consider that your “residence” is often not the limiting factor. The location and operation of the vehicle may override other considerations. For example, a vehicle remaining in Arizona for more than six months must be registered there regardless of your residence or drivers license address. Failure to comply may subject the owner to a felony charge. With the various state laws, a great deal of legal research may be required considering alll of the factors including where the vehicle will be used or parked depending upon time factors.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:22 PM   #91

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV2 View Post
There is a great deal of misinformation here. Please consider that your “residence” is often not the limiting factor. The location and operation of the vehicle may override other considerations. For example, a vehicle remaining in Arizona for more than six months must be registered there regardless of your residence or drivers license address. Failure to comply may subject the owner to a felony charge. With the various state laws, a great deal of legal research may be required considering alll of the factors including where the vehicle will be used or parked depending upon time factors.
I would agree to a point. You have to claim a place of residency. That is where you are the majority of the time. Everyone’s situation is different but if you own or rent a house you are there more then likely 9 out of the 12 months. That is where everything should be registered. I’m a fulltime RVers and have been for 6 years. I sold my house in MD back in 2015. I choose SD as my legal domicile. Everything should go through the place you choose to claim as your legal domicile. Picking and choosing where you want to do certain things in different states more then likely will get you in a crap load of trouble if caught. And states are hurting for money, so I would think they will be looking at A LOT of things to generate some cash. You can’t have a house in one state, that you file state taxes in, a car registered in another, a boat in a 3rd and an RV in a 4th because they offer less expensive options to register. That is fraud, plain and simple. If you do not like the laws in your state, you are free to sell your house and move to any state that you want. There is a reason why there are so many states. They all have different beliefs and tax systems. Choose ONE wisely.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:51 PM   #92

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
"In my communist state of CA, thanks to 1976 law called Prop 13...property taxes are based on 1% the original purchase price and only goes up max 2% per yr"

I am proud to say I voted for that! also proud to say I departed that state years ago. it is a great place to visit, but I will forever live somewhere else.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:59 PM   #93

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by galOnTheGo View Post
"In my communist state of CA, thanks to 1976 law called Prop 13...property taxes are based on 1% the original purchase price and only goes up max 2% per yr"

I am proud to say I voted for that! also proud to say I departed that state years ago. it is a great place to visit, but I will forever live somewhere else.

I visited last year and, frankly, if I never set foot in California again it’ll be too soon. Expensive, crowded, rotten streets and unpleasant, notional people. But that’s just me.....
Old 12-28-2020, 09:47 PM   #94

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I visited last year and, frankly, if I never set foot in California again it’ll be too soon. Expensive, crowded, rotten streets and unpleasant, notional people. But that’s just me.....
that is a big reason I departed Pete. But I really enjoy driving hwy 1, especially north of San Fran. the redwoods are beautiful, Yosemite is very nice, Death Valley,... and I have many friends and some family there I enjoy visiting too. as for my chosen state, I picked Nevada. while registration is high, what I save in state tax keeps me smiling. and, it is close to the places I enjoy most.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:52 PM   #95

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
So it hasn't changed much since my last visit in 1982.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:17 PM   #96

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by galOnTheGo View Post
that is a big reason I departed Pete. But I really enjoy driving hwy 1, especially north of San Fran. the redwoods are beautiful, Yosemite is very nice, Death Valley,... and I have many friends and some family there I enjoy visiting too. as for my chosen state, I picked Nevada. while registration is high, what I save in state tax keeps me smiling. and, it is close to the places I enjoy most.

Beautiful it is. We came down the coast from Oregon and got as far as Napa Valley before we’d had enough and bolted for Nevada.