Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2022, 12:48 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
RV ripoff's caught.

At least someone got caught.

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-dealers-...-orders-1033b/

Old 01-03-2022, 01:51 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
So,
If we pay $50,000, a half days profit we'll write-off, You'll just shut the f up?
Here's 50k. Shut the f up.

There isn't a culture in the entire history of the world which says to trust a vehicle salesperson. Not one. Not ever.

If you buy a vehicle sight-unseen, you're too too you to be of concern to normal folk.
Didn't read the warranty? Puhlleeze....

The lawsuit group will wind up with a $50 coupon toward their next purchase once fees and such are deducted.
It's the face-slap people that stupid deserve.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:04 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
But isn't that the standard sales process?

I mean how many Dealers besides the really big boys selling 50 plus RVs per day will have a large selection of RVs on their lot? So if they have one that is sold why not show it to another customer that may be willing to buy another that is just like it or similar. Given the RV is elsewhere the local salesman's wouldn't even know it's exact condition. I can't tell you how many dealers we had to visit and 90% of the time it was nope this ain't it.

The worse we had was when we saw what we thought was the perfect 27B Windsport at the perfect price, but 5 hours away in Houston Texas; they tried hard to get us to put deposit claiming others were ready to buy it, we surprised them by driving to Houston the next morning, they had enough notice to clean it and have the ACs blowing; so it was nice and cool when we got there. It was the best Thor RV we had ever seen but it was NOT the one we had came to buy. It was different color / scheme etc. They spent 30 minutes trying to get us to buy it saying why the color was better, until I went anal and said we must see what we drove 5 hours to see, 30 minutes later they take us to back to the RV we had seen online, it was a DISASTER, 4 of the tires were on a flat, the compartment latches were all rusted, all the batteries were dead and could not even be jumped, the cabinetry was torn looking as if purposely ripped off where screws were in particle board. That dealership knew we were not going to buy that coach, but they let us drive all the way down anyway in hopes of us selling us something else. On the drive back to Dallas, that is when we decided to give up on Thor, because none of the Thor Dealers we dealt with could be trusted. Our experience in Houston was actually worst than I state; but I don't wish to type how bad it really was as you get the idea.

FWIW, we did eventually buy our RV without having seen it, we put at risk our Deposit, but we had a lot of pictures and we had a Sales Gal that really had us snookered. She came across as genuine over the phone and when we met her she did not disappoint and the RV was actually better than what they had promised. She had sent us a hundred really nice pictures and I went through each one with a fine tooth comb. We then spent 6 hours testing everything on that coach except the roof stuff.

Contrary to what some say, we found the perfect coach and the perfect dealer, the dealership did EXACTLY what they said; and so did we.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:18 AM   #4

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
So,
If we pay $50,000, a half days profit we'll write-off, You'll just shut the f up?
Here's 50k. Shut the f up.

There isn't a culture in the entire history of the world which says to trust a vehicle salesperson. Not one. Not ever.

If you buy a vehicle sight-unseen, you're too too you to be of concern to normal folk.
Didn't read the warranty? Puhlleeze....

The lawsuit group will wind up with a $50 coupon toward their next purchase once fees and such are deducted.
It's the face-slap people that stupid deserve.
Say Duck, I been meaning to say you need to work on expressing yourself more and stop holding back your feelings. I know you might just be one of those introvert personalities trying to be nice, but sometimes you just got get it out and tell us what you really think, or maybe write a book; I know I would buy it
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 01-03-2022, 03:33 AM   #5

THOR #13932
I just don't believe any adult gets to wear their lackings like an Irish Penant.

They aren't victims. They're lessers.

Old 01-03-2022, 12:47 PM   #6

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
But isn't that the standard sales process?

I mean how many Dealers besides the really big boys selling 50 plus RVs per day will have a large selection of RVs on their lot? So if they have one that is sold why not show it to another customer that may be willing to buy another that is just like it or similar. Given the RV is elsewhere the local salesman's wouldn't even know it's exact condition. I can't tell you how many dealers we had to visit and 90% of the time it was nope this ain't it.

Contrary to what some say, we found the perfect coach and the perfect dealer, the dealership did EXACTLY what they said; and so did we.
On 12-9-21 I drove the Omni to a dealer in Hammond LA to look at a Valencia, and "camped" with hookups on their back lot. After spending most of the 10th looking it over, and them looking the Omni over, I agreed to buy it trading in the thor. It had just hit the lot a few days before and except for washing, was "delivery fresh". There policy was to then completely check all systems a 3+ day process. I had a trip planned with the Omni so took it back home, made the trip, and returned on the 21st. Dealer took it to the back to secure it and prepare it. Other than their service people no one would go back inside and it wasn't available to be shown. In other words no more prying fingers to steal or break things. My PDI on the 22nd was quick and painless but I checked everything. Only issue was the electric side of the water heater which required resetting the controls. I spent hours by myself on it before completing the paperwork ands then "camping" in to on their back lot before going home on the 23rd. I was promised that between the 10th and 22nd it wouldn't have people wandering through it damaging it. It was immaculate and intact. They kept their word.

And it wasn't a thor was it

As I stated in another post, the worst thing I found so far is there is no place to hide the kitchen trash can. I've already spent a week using it on out FL bayou campsite.

And I strongly agree with ducky, that "fine" isn't even a slap on the wrist to the dealers and won't make any change in their practices for the long run. A good dealership is important and the "big boys" ain't them.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:02 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Dishonest Sales-Goobers?
I just can't imagine what will happen next...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:07 PM   #8

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Dishonest Sales-Goobers?
I just can't imagine what will happen next...
The individual sales dude/dudette who caused this action may have to go down the street to another sales place but the managers will continue but just less overtly for a while. Nothing will really change. Course we knew that.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-03-2022, 02:51 PM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
On 12-9-21 I drove the Omni to a dealer in Hammond LA to look at a Valencia, and "camped" with hookups on their back lot. After spending most of the 10th looking it over, and them looking the Omni over, I agreed to buy it trading in the thor. It had just hit the lot a few days before and except for washing, was "delivery fresh". There policy was to then completely check all systems a 3+ day process. I had a trip planned with the Omni so took it back home, made the trip, and returned on the 21st. Dealer took it to the back to secure it and prepare it. Other than their service people no one would go back inside and it wasn't available to be shown. In other words no more prying fingers to steal or break things. My PDI on the 22nd was quick and painless but I checked everything. Only issue was the electric side of the water heater which required resetting the controls. I spent hours by myself on it before completing the paperwork ands then "camping" in to on their back lot before going home on the 23rd. I was promised that between the 10th and 22nd it wouldn't have people wandering through it damaging it. It was immaculate and intact. They kept their word.

And it wasn't a thor was it

As I stated in another post, the worst thing I found so far is there is no place to hide the kitchen trash can. I've already spent a week using it on out FL bayou campsite.

And I strongly agree with ducky, that "fine" isn't even a slap on the wrist to the dealers and won't make any change in their practices for the long run. A good dealership is important and the "big boys" ain't them.
Sounds like a great sales experience. I had similar great experience but took me two years and about 10 dealers to get there. As you might detect, I don't waiver very much even if I want something, I can live with it and I can live without it. I learn to move on a long time ag. I value value. I like to Shop Victoriously; and with RVs it is a challenge which this article proved.

No I did not buy a Thor, but the Dealer that I bought from also sells Thors. My RV was inside a very large indoor showroom for about 8 months before I bought. Based on mileage and generator at .1 hour it had not been used since being delivered from Iowa. The price was down and it was the perfect match.

Even the two Thor Dealers that I have very little respect for, I believe that if I was looking at a Thor coach that was fresh received from Indiana give or a take a few days, I would be a Thor owner today. I am also convinced that I would be one of the many proud Thor owners on this site. Dealer experience resonant loud to me and if I were a VP at Thor; I would clean up my Dealer network. The problem Thor has with potential customers like me, is that I was forced to go elsewhere, and I am very happy and are you. It is hard to read the chronic bashing on the forum along with my actual 1st experiences to ever have confidence to try any of the Thor Dealers again in the future.

We put put trash can inside the bottom cabinet under the sink. Perfect spot and we use the wal mart/ lowes / homedepot plastic bags as long as they are free.

How can disagree with the Duck Do you believe the Earth is flat too I think the Duck was making the same point as you but in jest. That $50k fine will NOT deter those low life Dealerships, I think the Damn Duck was saying they will make half of the $50k back up in 1/2 days profit; so by noon the 1st day after the fine; it was meaningless.

By the way I never knew you were a SOB until this thread, how many SOBs on this site
Old 01-03-2022, 02:58 PM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
The individual sales dude/dudette who caused this action may have to go down the street to another sales place but the managers will continue but just less overtly for a while. Nothing will really change. Course we knew that.
I agree ultimately it is the attitude of the local dealers Finance Manager that will drive customer experience. They try that good cop bad cop tactic with Salesman promising the world, and then the Finance Manager tries to shake you down in a corner given that you have already committed to buy. When they play the numbers game it works for them, just like telemarketing is still around because some people still buying their crap.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:07 PM   #11

THOR #13932
I am always nice to telemarketers.
You know who cringes worse than you when that phone rings?
Telemarketers do. They hate that call.
They aren't there for the love of the game. They're there because the baby will starve if they don't roll the dice and get someone stupid enough to say yes.
It takes so little to put a smile in your voice, wish them better, tell them they did a nice job.

There but for Grace go I.

Old 01-03-2022, 03:11 PM   #12

THOR #22586
Quote:
Sounds like a great sales experience. I had similar great experience but took me two years and about 10 dealers to get there.
We put put trash can inside the bottom cabinet under the sink. Perfect spot and we use the wal mart/ lowes / homedepot plastic bags as long as they are free.

How can disagree with the Duck Do you believe the Earth is flat too I think the Duck was making the same point as you but in jest. That $50k fine will NOT deter those low life Dealerships, I think the Damn Duck was saying they will make half of the $50k back up in 1/2 days profit; so by noon the 1st day after the fine; it was meaningless.

By the way I never knew you were a SOB until this thread, how many SOBs on this site

Yes a good experience at the dealer. Berryland Campers in Ponchatoula LA, right next to Hammond. They also sell some thor stuff and told me that the only way they would continue to sell thor was if thor gave them a $1200 allowance for every thor they took in. That was what they figured the average thor required just to get it sellable.

Unfortunately the 10g water heater is under the sink so no trash hiding spot there. Suggestions on a FB group was a lid type put behind the driver's seat and hidden in the bath when traveling.

Read again I said I AGREED with ducky on this and yes a $50K fine is meaningless. The article said they thought 300 customers might be affected so each one really gets nothing. The dealer just momentarily "embarrassed", that is if a scumbag can be embarrassed.

I suspect most SOBs who own SOBs have moved on to greener forums. I became the 2X SOB when my patience with the thor trash hit the tilt mark. Cut my losses and moved on.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-03-2022, 03:29 PM   #13

THOR #22586
Quote:
I agree ultimately it is the attitude of the local dealers Finance Manager that will drive customer experience. They try that good copy bad cop tactic with Salesman promising the world, and then the Finance Manager tries to shake you down in a corner given that you have already committed to buy. When they play the numbers game it works for them, just like telemarketing is still around because you some people still buying their crap.
Don't forget the sales manager in that formula, maybe that's who you meant. I already know that a sales type doesn't have the authority to make the deal that I'll settle for and it will go to the sales manager. Usually that's where the high pressure tactics are but I know what's coming. Some of these guys, sometimes but rarely a gal, are attempting to bully the sale. Irritates me but I know the game. They lie, cheat and steal in those tactics but it's the game. Too much and I get irritated and walk. My experiences is where the finance dude try to sell the "packages" and sometimes are high pressure in that. My typical initial answer is if the RV was so poorly built and such bad quality that I should be worried about it breaking so much, I don't want it. Usually ends that conversation.

By the way, as I said earlier, at Berryland where I got the Valencia, the finance guy mentioned the add ons, gave me the brochures, and we moved on. I'll use the thing so much during the first year that if something is going to break from the factory, I'll find it. But it's not a thor product so my expectations are higher.

It's so nice being on the "outside" looking in now.

Oh I'm not as nice to telemarketers as ducky. Mostly I don't answer, but if I do and I'm bored will play along for a while till they hang up on me. Seems they don't want to sell me a vehicle warranty on my 86 Yugo.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-03-2022, 03:57 PM   #14

THOR #22586
Quote:

FYI your reading and viewing pleasure

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...xes-29412.html

Note in 1 pic is the kitchen sink and the W/H underneath. Unfortunately takes a lot of space and no room for the trash can. But the suburban 10g gas electric W/H actually makes lots of controllable hot water as opposed to the Girard entry level POS that thor puts in the omni. I'll take that trade-off.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-03-2022, 04:08 PM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Yes a good experience at the dealer. Berryland Campers in Ponchatoula LA, right next to Hammond. They also sell some thor stuff and told me that the only way they would continue to sell thor was if thor gave them a $1200 allowance for every thor they took in. That was what they figured the average thor required just to get it sellable.

Sound like some good honest folks there. I insist it is the people. Being that close to Crawfish and Bourbon street; how could you go wrong. I can crow about my sales lady and La Mesa RV in Port Lucie Florida because it was great experience. Going to Florida was bonus that my wife and I will never forget. We did something unheard of for us, bought one way plane tickets to a place we have never been given that EVERY freaking dealership prior including a La Mesa RV dealership in Albuquerque NM had given us nothing but grief. Full Disclosure, I did speak with the Finance Manager twice before buying our tickets. I was very clear about my expectations and did not try to hide that I can be anal about the details, I am a walk away type of guy.

Unfortunately the 10g water heater is under the sink so no trash hiding spot there. Suggestions on a FB group was a lid type put behind the driver's seat and hidden in the bath when traveling.

Yeah we have 6g water heater there too, but trash can is small and fits right in. The only other place we would have has options would be the lower pantry that we never use, to the right of passenger captain chair, or just use the one in the bathroom.

Read again I said I AGREED with ducky on this and yes a $50K fine is meaningless. The article said they thought 300 customers might be affected so each one really gets nothing. The dealer just momentarily "embarrassed", that is if a scumbag can be embarrassed.

Well that makes sense, what was I trying to do start one of those damn duckwars My apologies

I suspect most SOBs who own SOBs have moved on to greener forums. I became the 2X SOB when my patience with the thor trash hit the tilt mark. Cut my losses and moved on.
I had the luxury or some may call it foresight to join this forum before I purchased. I was coached (pun intended) every step of the way. I had a lot of the current old faithful & reliable Thor owners telling me to walk away from those deals as the circumstances presented themselves. Twice I had crowed on this site I had a bought a Thor only to have the deal fall apart because Dealer would not fix certain items. It was a very hard to do as they were not what I would consider as Thor Mfg defects. So I am content with being a step child until I get the boot
Old 01-03-2022, 04:15 PM   #16

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I am always nice to telemarketers.
You know who cringes worse than you when that phone rings?
Telemarketers do. They hate that call.
They aren't there for the love of the game. They're there because the baby will starve if they don't roll the dice and get someone stupid enough to say yes.
It takes so little to put a smile in your voice, wish them better, tell them they did a nice job.

There but for Grace go I.
I finally fixed 99% of all telemarketers calls except some political calls I get on both sides to my mobile phone which irritate me to no end.

My home line has feature where you have to be human to dial a random code for the call to go through and then if you do; if there is no Caller ID sorry charlie... no phone call coming through.

I have ZERO respect for any telemarketer and I don't have time to try to be nice about it anymore. 1st thing I always say is Please remove my number from your list and from that point on any thing is game as to what I may do or say. It ought to be illegal, wait a minute it is (except for political calls, how backwards is that )
Old 01-03-2022, 04:24 PM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
FYI your reading and viewing pleasure

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...xes-29412.html

Note in 1 pic is the kitchen sink and the W/H underneath. Unfortunately takes a lot of space and no room for the trash can. But the suburban 10g gas electric W/H actually makes lots of controllable hot water as opposed to the Girard entry level POS that thor puts in the omni. I'll take that trade-off.
I replied my response on the other thread. I know exactly what I would do, my next door neighbor is a Project Engineer but a woodworker in his spare time.
Old 01-03-2022, 04:32 PM   #18

THOR #13932
I own a Thor because we were checking floorplans for my
4x4 autocar giant Mann/Dakar build.

The 24.1 was a good compromise we didn't expect to find.
I could
'Make it mine'
For about $230,000 cheaper than building the vintage autocar.
So we did.
You can't ask for a better base to start with.

If I need better I'll build or buy better.
I suggest the same for all of you.

Old 01-03-2022, 04:33 PM   #19

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
In January of this year, I bought a Thor Axis from one of the two dealers caught in this ripoff: Albany RV. I must say that their salesman and the management handled my purchase exemplarily.

I was able to negotiate their unreasonable deposit 40% down to 10% and got a good price to boot. When the coach was delivered it had a compressor fridge which I didn't want for my exclusive dry camping, so they swapped it with a spec unit with an absorption fridge that had just arrived. In that case it was the reverse of the fraud documented above: they gave me the coach with a solar panel for the same price.

Albany RV handled the PDI as well as could be expected. Thor itself didn't do very well in supporting their product but that wasn't Albany's fault.

So, I give a big cheer for Albany RV in spite of their previous failings.

David
Old 01-03-2022, 04:56 PM   #20

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
In January of this year, I bought a Thor Axis from one of the two dealers caught in this ripoff: Albany RV. I must say that their salesman and the management handled my purchase exemplarily.

I was able to negotiate their unreasonable deposit 40% down to 10% and got a good price to boot. When the coach was delivered it had a compressor fridge which I didn't want for my exclusive dry camping, so they swapped it with a spec unit that had just arrived. In that case it was the reverse of the fraud documented above: they gave me the coach with a solar panel for the same price.

Albany RV handled the PDI as well as could be expected. Thor itself didn't do very well in supporting their product but that wasn't Albany's fault.

So, I give a big cheer for Albany RV in spite of their previous failings.

David
Thanks for posting.
It proves that 300:200,000 were indeed, just really Damn stupid people.
A dealer is what you make it be.