Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2021, 05:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Iowa
THOR #2078
RV Special Insurance

What has been your experience with special motorhome insurance with companies like Good Sam and Progressive? I am going to switch from my current provider, American Family, because getting a tow has been terrible!

We had a bad experience with Good Sam roadside three years ago which makes me hesitant to use them. We were vacationing in Hayward Wisconsin in the summer when the engine on our motorhome blew. Good Sam Roadside said they could not help us when they were our paid provider, and this is a well known vacation area. We were left on our own. Ultimately the engine needed replacement on our brand new Thor Vegas.

Old 09-08-2021, 05:57 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
What was their reason for "we can not help you"? And what does someplace being a "well know vacation area" have to do with this?

We have additional roadside assistance coverage on our automobile policies... specifically for the motorhome. We are covered in continental U.S. and Canada. Our policy states nothing about how popular a vacation spot must be to be covered by the policy.

More details please??
Old 09-08-2021, 06:02 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Never heard of RV special insurance. Have used Progressive for years on the motor home.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:20 PM   #4

Model: Vegas
State: Iowa
THOR #2078
Special insurance

Good Sam Club and Progressive have special policies set up just for RVs. I doubt that Good Sam actually is the insurance carrier, they probably have a contract with a national insurance company.

Otherwise, it is just an "RV" coverage on an auto policy like our policy with American Family. I thought it best to keep our policies with one carrier since I did not want the insurance companies fighting if we had an accident while towing the car which would have been covered by a different policy,

But I also expect some service and American Family, which outsources its towing services, has been quite inept at arranging a tow. Thank heavens it is in our driveway and we are not stranded by the side of the road. It is two days now and still no tow.

I was talking about Good Sam Roadside assistance policy. We had their policy when we had a cylinder blow on our engine and the motorhome could not be driven. It needed to be towed to a Ford truck dealer. We were in the northwoods of Wisconsin. I would expect a roadside policy to help you anywhere but especially in tourist locations where one might vacation with an RV. When our RV was stuck at a small car dealership in Minoqua (sorry not Hayward) Wisconsin, Good Sam said too bad, we cannot help you get a tow, get a ride or find other accomodations. You are on your own.

I am talking about two different issues, but just wanted folks to know why I was not too keen on exploring the Good Sam specialized RV policy.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:47 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Progressive is huge and have many roadside service providers begging to work with them for the volume. Good Sam just gets a check in the mail for their forwarding your name to another insurance provider. We have Progressive but have not tested the waters yet and hope I never have to. Any roadside assistance offered by any insurance company is only as good as the 3rd party service providers and their availability in a given area, as all of the insurance companies just call them when you need help. I have GEICO with the boat and trailer...recently had a blowout on a holiday weekend in remote Alabama. They tried to help me but couldn't get a local service provider on the phone. They finally called back and basically said...pay for whatever service you need and we'll reimburse you for the covered portion. I did...they did...still with them. Some insurance companies (or companies that play like their an insurance company...GS) are very slow paying the service providers or try to negotiate the rates they charged so...they don't get many takers when there is a problem.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:00 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Find yourself an Agent who also owns an RV. They will be the best -prepared to discuss your needs, and know ho to cover them.
Agreed Valuation policies, and vacation Liability; are just 2 big issues...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:16 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Never heard of RV special insurance. Have used Progressive for years on the motor home.
In TX the RV policies are written as seasonal (limited) use vehicles, like farm grain truck. Each state has its own insurance laws. For instance, when I moved from KY to TX, The Hartford dropped my RV insurance because they are not licensed to insure vehicles in TX. The Hartford does have a subsidiary licensed to write vehicle insurance in Texas but not RV insurance. Checking further I found, if I had a car or truck insured in Texas and then moved to Texas, they would insure the RV under a group policy, as a seasonal use vehicle. They were happy to insure the truck as a limited use antique vehicle and add the RV to the policy. When you have a group of strange vehicles, you run into special niches for special vehicles.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:51 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Good Sam Club and Progressive have special policies set up just for RVs. I doubt that Good Sam actually is the insurance carrier, they probably have a contract with a national insurance company.

Otherwise, it is just an "RV" coverage on an auto policy like our policy with American Family. I thought it best to keep our policies with one carrier since I did not want the insurance companies fighting if we had an accident while towing the car which would have been covered by a different policy,

But I also expect some service and American Family, which outsources its towing services, has been quite inept at arranging a tow. Thank heavens it is in our driveway and we are not stranded by the side of the road. It is two days now and still no tow.

I was talking about Good Sam Roadside assistance policy. We had their policy when we had a cylinder blow on our engine and the motorhome could not be driven. It needed to be towed to a Ford truck dealer. We were in the northwoods of Wisconsin. I would expect a roadside policy to help you anywhere but especially in tourist locations where one might vacation with an RV. When our RV was stuck at a small car dealership in Minoqua (sorry not Hayward) Wisconsin, Good Sam said too bad, we cannot help you get a tow, get a ride or find other accomodations. You are on your own.

I am talking about two different issues, but just wanted folks to know why I was not too keen on exploring the Good Sam specialized RV policy.
When I got a quote Good Sam charged a premium to write a Progressive policy. Go with Progressive and save the middle man cost.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:50 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
You are talking about Roadside Assistance (RA) coverage not vehicle accident insurance coverage - two different things - although you may have RA bundled into your automobile or RV accident insurance policy, or Ford's Warranty coverage.

All RA providers contract with and farm out their towing calls so it doesn't matter much if your RA is with Good Sam (GS), Ford, State Farm, AAA, Progressive, or FMCA.

Vehicle accident insurance can also be farmed out. Good Sam uses different providers in different areas. Yes, it is best to have your toad coverage with the same company as your RV coverage if, for no other reason, than to have a single deductible should an accident occurs that damages both vehicles.

So your brand new MH engine problem could have used Ford's RA to tow the MH to a dealer if GS could not find a tow company willing to agree to their terms/price. You can also arrange a tow yourself if you have prior permission from the encumbered RA provider that they will reimburse you.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:58 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
I switched from Progressive to Good Sam (underwritten by National General) insurance a few months ago (difference of about $300 at renewal time), and also have the Good Sam Roadside Assistance plan separate from insurance coverage. Just had my first opportunity to test the roadside assist in the past few days. The only mobile unit in my area that GS was able to reach didn't accept the plan, and required payment up front.

Fixed my brake line today (major kudos to Advanced Automotive mobile repair folks!). Submitted claim to GS for reimbursement.

We'll see how that goes. I enjoy that 7 cent discount on Pilot/FlyingJ fuel - but that alone doesn't cover annual membership. If they turn down my claim completely, I may have to reconsider that annual expense.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:15 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureTheSouth View Post
I switched from Progressive to Good Sam (underwritten by National General) insurance a few months ago (difference of about $300 at renewal time), and also have the Good Sam Roadside Assistance plan separate from insurance coverage. Just had my first opportunity to test the roadside assist in the past few days. The only mobile unit in my area that GS was able to reach didn't accept the plan, and required payment up front.

Fixed my brake line today (major kudos to Advanced Automotive mobile repair folks!). Submitted claim to GS for reimbursement.

We'll see how that goes. I enjoy that 7 cent discount on Pilot/FlyingJ fuel - but that alone doesn't cover annual membership. If they turn down my claim completely, I may have to reconsider that annual expense.
When did the discount go to 7 cents? I've only gotten 5 cents but I haven't filled up there in several months as they no longer seem competitive in Florida.

Also, I've never heard of accident insurance covering non-collision vehicle repair. Do you also have an extended warranty with GS?
Old 09-08-2021, 11:35 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
A good test of your roadside assistance "coverage" is how flexible are they on reimbursement... YOU get the tow truck, pay cash, then get a TIMELY full reimbursement. This is a MUST when your provider "can't seem to find" a tow company willing to accept their reduced rate.
ASK lots of questions!!!
Old 09-09-2021, 12:39 AM   #13

THOR #11007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
When did the discount go to 7 cents? I've only gotten 5 cents but I haven't filled up there in several months as they no longer seem competitive in Florida.

Also, I've never heard of accident insurance covering non-collision vehicle repair. Do you also have an extended warranty with GS?

Dunno? It's been 7 cents since I got the "gratis" membership in GS when I bought the rig 3.5 years ago. It might be the "level" of membership. I do NOT have any sort of extended warranty coverage.

The call I made was for the "roadside assistance" I pay for through club membership - totally separate from insurance coverage. Which is why I declined roadside on the insurance policy, as that should already be in play.

But as I said - "we'll see" if it actually covers anything.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:01 AM   #14

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
What is seasonal use insurance on an RV? I have lived in Texas since the 80s and all my RVs have been insured via GEICO. I have never heard of seasonal use and even if I did, the RV 'season' in Texas is year round.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:08 AM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Can someone clarify what is the OP's question?

I am really confused with RV Special Insurance? Do I need to ask my Insurance company for the RV Special?

Also, it seems like OP has had issues with his Tow claims with two different companies. But as asked by Chateau Nomad.. What was their reason for "we can not help you"?

Same goes for current insurance needing to tow from OP's house.
I never heard of American Family so nothing would surprise me there, but you will have trouble convincing me that Good Sam's would not tow a RV without a sound reason.

The only value I can add otherwise is that I compared Good Sams with Progressive, and one factor was that Progressive had no limits on how far to tow to nearest dealer whereas I think Good Sams had some restriction?

Regardless, if you got a policy that is not being fulfilled contact the State Board of Insurance or Attorney's General office to file a claim.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:14 AM   #16

THOR #11007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
What is seasonal use insurance on an RV? I have lived in Texas since the 80s and all my RVs have been insured via GEICO. I have never heard of seasonal use and even if I did, the RV 'season' in Texas is year round.

I "think" (and I'm and idiot now and then, as Ms. PTS will remind you if you ask...)
"Seasonal" is sometimes what most of us think of as "recreational" as opposed to "full timer".

That said, based on my experience long ago with an auto-insurance company - some underwriters might offer a discount if you store the rig for X number of months per year. You save a few dollars - but if you decide to take it out during that time period; you will not have coverage.

So for Texas? I'd surely pass on that. Even in NC, I don't look for that. I usually winterize in early November and dewinterize in late February. But you never know - I might need to roll up the road to the MIL's house in January. I want coverage if I do.
Old 09-09-2021, 03:24 AM   #17
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureTheSouth View Post
Dunno? It's been 7 cents since I got the "gratis" membership in GS when I bought the rig 3.5 years ago. It might be the "level" of membership. I do NOT have any sort of extended warranty coverage.

The call I made was for the "roadside assistance" I pay for through club membership - totally separate from insurance coverage. Which is why I declined roadside on the insurance policy, as that should already be in play.

But as I said - "we'll see" if it actually covers anything.
RA covers labor to change a tire or a tow to a repair facility. It does not cover a replacement tire or any repair so I think you're SOL on that service call.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:03 PM   #18

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Being new to RV I found this helpful

Old 09-15-2021, 06:26 PM   #19

State: New York
THOR #18343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
What was their reason for "we can not help you"? And what does someplace being a "well know vacation area" have to do with this?

We have additional roadside assistance coverage on our automobile policies... specifically for the motorhome. We are covered in continental U.S. and Canada. Our policy states nothing about how popular a vacation spot must be to be covered by the policy.

More details please??
Check out Safeco before you decide, I checked multiple companies including the two you mention and Safeco gave me full coverage for less! Good Luck
Old 09-15-2021, 06:45 PM   #20
sip

State: California
THOR #5882
My only experience with Progressive last few years was coverage on swapping the busted passenger side window on your 2016 Vegas... gardner threw a rock into it with the weed wacker ... even though it took a long time to get the part and swap at the dealer ... and the shock to find out it was $1700

The insurance part was really simple and I was very happy with Progressive . It was fully covered with 0 deductible on glass. Just a few pictures, explanation of what happened, and the rest of the paperwork was done by the dealer.

Tags
insurance