Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2271
RV Starter Kit

I pick up my "new" Vegas 25.2 a week from tomorrow. The dealer is a couple hours away. I asked him via email if the delivery included a waste water hose. He replied that they include an "RV Starter Kit". Can anyone tell me from experience what is included in the starter kit?

Old 07-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Ours included a sewer hose (which we replaced for a good one), a water hose, a pressure regulator (which we replaced for a better one), a sample of holding tank chemical, and a package of RV toilet paper.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:24 PM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Our 2015 25.2 came with the same stuff as the last post. It's just that, a starter. We carry extra hose, an extra slinky and an extension 30 amp cord. You may never need any of that!
Old 07-17-2015, 09:33 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I also carry an in-line water filter, a Y connection for the water hose, and a 30 Amp to 50 Amp adapter for the power cord.

Most importantly, in my opinion, is a good surge protector that will identify faults in camp ground wiring before you plug in. Mine identify a bad Neutral at an overnight spot in March and it took the campground owner about 45 minutes to correct the pedestal wiring before I would plug in.

Unfortunately I let my 30 Amp surge protector go with the other coach earlier this year and now, since my next trip includes locations with 30 Amp only I need to go purchase another 30 Amp surge protector, primarily for my own comfort level.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:34 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
I added a 90 degree elbow for hooking up water hose. Keeps weight off the plastic fitting of the house
Old 07-18-2015, 07:15 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
We got ZILCH when we purchased our RV...had to buy all those "starter" things, including TP.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #7

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
The only reason I got my stinky slinky free was because I ran my PDI so long that by the time we signed the papers and sealed the deal, the store was closed..... so they just gave me one.
I already had the potable water hose from my popup.

I think the surge protector is a great suggestion, but overall, I suggest keeping things simple.

First few trips, you'll need the simple stinky slinky hose to drain the waste tanks, a potable water hose, bed linen, food, and a notepad/pencil to make lists of other things you think of. That's about all you need.

The other stuff depends on your style, where you go, etc....
Old 07-18-2015, 11:43 AM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
For 3 of our 4 camper's we've had we got a starter kit. The one we didn't get a starter kit for was the Axis--but we were trading in a 5th wheel and already had more than enough stuff
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #1226
I was pleasantly surprised what our starting kit contained. We got a 50 and 20 adapters to a 30, a set of quality road hazard signs, fresh water hose, toilet chemical and a roll of TP, A complete tool set of sockets, drivers, and electric testers and wiring tools. The slinky stinky I replaced.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:13 PM   #10

Brand: DRV
Model: Memphis
THOR #2341
Consider going to the nearest Walmart and buying the better sewer hose. The Rhino Flex original or extreme will last longer than what your dealer will give you. Also a pressure regulator of some sort is good to have.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
This could get into a checklist I suppose of what you need, and there are plenty of check lists out there, but to keep it short, your starter kit should have:

1. sewer hose.
2. disposable gloves and disinfectant wipes for above.
3. drain elbow (depending on what kind of dump stations you have in your area).
4. white potable or RV hose (they don't smell the water like a regular garden hose).
5. pressure regulator (some campgrounds can damage your water system).
6. water filter.
7. TP
8. chemical treatment for black holding tank.
9. surge suppressor
10. voltmeter (if your surge suppressor does not have an automatic disconnect).
11. spirit level (to assist leveling, especially if you have slide outs).
12. Wheel chock.

At least that is my minimum starter kit. Some may seem as unneeded, but you will soon run across needing every one of them.

One issue I have with a Rhino-flex (and I own one), is the can be harder to put on and remove. It's hard to get good access to the sewer fitting in our coach due to it's location, so I can't get a good grip on the twist ring, especially with sanitary gloves on.

This is partly due to the design of the Rhino-flex fitting as the major part of the body rotates, and partly because my sewer fitting is low to the ground and tucked in under the coach chassis, and I can't get both hands on it.

In contrast, the fitting on the cheaper ones do not rotate, which can give you a better grip when you don't have adequate access to the fitting.

After using the Rhino-flex, I bought one of these sewer hose wrenches, which makes it a lot easier to install and remove (especially when wearing gloves):

A strap-wrench works well too - although it does take some time to put it on, and a bit more difficult when wearing gloves.

Of course, over time, you will likely be wanting to add a few tools, a spare parts kit (fuses, light bulbs, and things you seem to break often), tire gauge, and so on.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #12

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Unfortunately I let my 30 Amp surge protector go with the other coach earlier this year and now, since my next trip includes locations with 30 Amp only I need to go purchase another 30 Amp surge protector, primarily for my own comfort level.
Dave, you already have the 50 amp surge protector, all you need is the
30 amp adaptor plug not another 30 amp surge protector.

Just my $0.02

Our 2015 Hurricane also came with the same starter kit, but I had saved
all the stuff from our previous TT.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Saran View Post
Dave, you already have the 50 amp surge protector, all you need is the
30 amp adaptor plug not another 30 amp surge protector.

Just my $0.02

Our 2015 Hurricane also came with the same starter kit, but I had saved
all the stuff from our previous TT.
I'll have to try it or check it out.

I know the 50 Amp checks more stuff than the 30 amp so I may get an L1 and/or L2 error when using the 50 Amp surge protector on a 30 Amp circuit.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote