Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2016, 07:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #4885
RV Toilet paper or house toilet paper ?

We were talking to someone and they have used house tp in their RV for years and never had a problem .Does anybody have any experience with this ?

Old 07-23-2016, 08:02 PM   #2

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
I use the Angel Soft--septic safe and had no problem at all. Try it in a glass of water. Works great
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Been fulltime for 8+ years & had rvs for 35+ years & have never bought a single roll of the over priced rv toilet paper, never had any problems. Be sure it says septic safe & no more than 2 plies & buy whatever brand you like. The secret is use plenty of water for whichever tp you use & never leave the black valve open til it's about full then flush with plenty of water.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:46 PM   #4
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by climberbob View Post
We were talking to someone and they have used house tp in their RV for years and never had a problem .Does anybody have any experience with this ?
It is always good to use septic safe tp in your rv...if for no other reason, than consideration for your RV campground owner. Many of them are on septic systems.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:07 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I have always used the same TP that we have in the house. After 15 years I have never had a problem.

The black tank is only a holding tank and is emptied into the sewer system after only a short time in the tank. No reason to spend extra money for RV TP.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:16 AM   #6

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
I always use only RV toilet paper or single ply house paper. It is my opinion that people who use regular TP are living on borrowed time. Sooner or later, they will find themselves trying to empty a black water tank and getting nothing but a trickle, because a wad of intact unbroken down TP and other clumping stuff is stuck in the outlet. The interesting part is: If it's stuck in the outlet, the valve probably won't close. There are a few different ways this can end. Nearly all are totally disgusting, but hilarious if you are a non-neighbor bystander with a strong stomach.

I an not concerned with a RV campground's septic tank. However I am concerned about my ability to empty my own holding tank without a disgusting comedy show.

So those of you who think TP type makes no difference, please announce to surrounding campers before you dump your tank. Those neighbors with weak constitutions can flee and those like me with warped senses of humor can observe.

Ken

P.S. This is based on over 40 years of RVing (although that word had not even been invented then) including watching this happen to others multiple times. We will not be discussing whether it has ever happened to me.

(If you count my parents 1957 travel trailer, its actually been 59 years of Rving)
Old 07-24-2016, 12:23 PM   #7

THOR #1249
Same as house TP..........single ply. Never had a problem in all these years. As was said, use plenty of water and make sure after you dump you have some water in the tank.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:42 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Use whatever passes the test.

We use Angel Soft in the coach and at the house which is on an Alternative on-site sewage system (glorified high tech septic).
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:58 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Use whatever passes the test.

We use Angel Soft in the coach and at the house which is on an Alternative on-site sewage system (glorified high tech septic).
The only problem I have with that video is using Kleenex instead of a higher grade toilet paper. However the idea is good.

Ken
Old 07-24-2016, 05:09 PM   #10

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I always use only RV toilet paper or single ply house paper. It is my opinion that people who use regular TP are living on borrowed time. Sooner or later, they will find themselves trying to empty a black water tank and getting nothing but a trickle, because a wad of intact unbroken down TP and other clumping stuff is stuck in the outlet. The interesting part is: If it's stuck in the outlet, the valve probably won't close. There are a few different ways this can end. Nearly all are totally disgusting, but hilarious if you are a non-neighbor bystander with a strong stomach.

I an not concerned with a RV campground's septic tank. However I am concerned about my ability to empty my own holding tank without a disgusting comedy show.

So those of you who think TP type makes no difference, please announce to surrounding campers before you dump your tank. Those neighbors with weak constitutions can flee and those like me with warped senses of humor can observe.

Ken

P.S. This is based on over 40 years of RVing (although that word had not even been invented then) including watching this happen to others multiple times. We will not be discussing whether it has ever happened to me.

(If you count my parents 1957 travel trailer, its actually been 59 years of Rving)
Ok! Tell us what you really think, don't hemhaw around!!
The OP ask & just giving my .02 cents. By all means if you would rather use the over priced rv tp then please do! I've done that very same water test & found that the cheapest 2 ply tp works just as well as the high priced rv tp, test it yourself.
To the OP, now you have it, 1 definite "hell no" on the household tp & several that agree with plenty of water the household tp is just fine to use.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:28 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
The only time we have seen a problem with house hold TP in 30 years was a used TT we bought that had not had the Black water dumped until everything dried up. And we were the ones putting on the show try to straighten out that mess.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:40 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
LOL, Way to much TP talk. Just don't use any then you don't have to worry about the tanks.