Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2017, 02:20 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
FYI, we purchased from RVDirect and had NO problems at all. They had the lowest price by far. I ordered end of October and had it just (barely) in time for Christmas back n 2014. Like many of you, I really have no close local Thor dealer, and the closest ones were way more in price than RVDirect. I took delivery in Orlando--that dealer could have done a better job--and for my warranty work Thor worked with me to make sure I would not have a six hour road trip. I'd buy again from them with no hesitation. I did put in writing my financing terms at the time of the order, and had no interest rate issues when we finally took delivery

Old 01-06-2017, 02:49 AM   #22

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
Upnyfolks & ArrV the rep I'm dealing with told me they require 5% deposit and suggested I could do so with a credit card. I'm not much on CC so intend to use another method. My question is so far all of our communication has been via e-mail. Should I request they send me a more formal agreement in writing before I commit with the deposit or would the e-mail quote they sent suffice?
I'm not accustomed to making such large purchases in this manner and would appreciate some guidance! Thanks
Old 01-06-2017, 03:00 AM   #23

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
Upnyfolks & ArrV the rep I'm dealing with told me they require 5% deposit and suggested I could do so with a credit card. I'm not much on CC so intend to use another method. My question is so far all of our communication has been via e-mail. Should I request they send me a more formal agreement in writing before I commit with the deposit or would the e-mail quote they sent suffice?
I'm not accustomed to making such large purchases in this manner and would appreciate some guidance! Thanks

They will have you sign and return a contract to purchase when you make your deposit. Yes, you will have a chance to review it before you sign. Some people like using the credit card for big purchases like this to build up their perks. You are about as far as email can go, call them and talk to the rep you've been emailing.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #24

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
sforl, I sure wouldn't suggest to anyone that they shouldn't go after the absolute cheapest price if purchasing a new RV, considering the markup to get to that mysterious MSRP.

For example the unit you are after may have a MSRP of $105,000. This is just an example, I have no idea what they cost. But if the MSRP is listed at $105,000 then most dealers will have it "on special" for about $89,000. They can easily do this because they are only paying about $60,000 for that unit.

Have you considered getting something in writing from RVDIRECT that shows the price that they will give you and using that as a negotiating tool with a local dealer? They may never match that price but if they are interested in selling RVs they should be able to come within a couple thousand of it.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #25

THOR #1287
On line purchasing

Quote:
Call your rep; ask for a complete quote, including all charges (delivery, dealer prep,paperwork, etc.) to be emailed to you. You will be getting a purchase order to sign anyway when you place your order (make sure everything matches)
USE A CREDIT CARD. That is extra protection for you if something goes wrong with the order. DO NOT SEND A CHECK OR WIRE. A 5% deposit is what we were asked to put down as well.
Make sure all terms, such as expected delivery dates and financing, are spelled out and agreed to in advance and signed by both parties as you will close at the receiving dealership not with your new email buddy.

Again, I cannot encourage you strongly enough to use a credit card for the deposit. Good luck!
I have all my notes and emails regarding my purchase, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:13 PM   #26

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Note to all: Purchasing out of state will probably void any Lemon Law protection that may exist in you state. That's the way it works in TX.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:39 PM   #27

THOR #1287
On Line ordering and Lemon Law

It's a good idea to know how the sale and delivery is accomplished--as well as a good idea for each purchaser to note what their state lemon law covers and what it does not. Some states lemon laws do not cover RV's! Even without a lemon law there are other courses of action to protect purchasers, though I would hate anyone to be in the position of having to use any of them. I purchased on-line but took delivery from an in state dealer so it was not even an out of state sale.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:56 PM   #28

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
sfori, Don't sweat the small stuff. My selling dealer is 7 hours away from me. Yes, I have had to negotiate some warranty things. But mostly, my dealer has understood. The last issue they allowed me to go to a local repair shop and bill them.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #29

THOR #6203
This morning I contacted the salesperson at the dealership within my state that I've been trying to deal with and confronted him about the e-mail he sent stating he would price match any lower offer I got. When I presented him with the quote from rvDirect he tried to claim I had misunderstood. That he wasn't aware of rvDirects quote when he made that statement. Fortunately I had made it a point to communicate only via e-mail so I have it all in black and white!
Needless to say he wasn't particularly happy or helpful but ... the GM was. As it stands now they have agreed to sell me the MH at the same price as rvDirect. I'm just waiting to get it all in writing! Keeping my fingers crossed.
IF it works out it will be a much better situation for me but I admit I feel bad for the salesperson at rvDirect who has been extremely helpful!
Wow sorry for being so long!
Old 01-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #30

Model: ACE 29.3
THOR #5953
Having the quote in writing and then speaking directly to the GM saved you thousands! I wouldn't be surprised if they change their policy after this since they have to pay someone to drive each RV from the factory, and depending on distance that can really add up. You're definitely better off having a dealer close by, even if it is a bit of a drive for you. Great news! Be sure to let us know how you like the unit once you take delivery.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #31

THOR #6203
The GM told me that is wasn't there policy to price match in this manner but it was unwritten. I told him perhaps he should have let his sales people in on the secret!
The GM seems like a reasonable guy but I hope to never see that salesperson again.!
Old 01-07-2017, 02:31 PM   #32

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
The GM told me that is wasn't there policy to price match in this manner but it was unwritten. I told him perhaps he should have let his sales people in on the secret!
The GM seems like a reasonable guy but I hope to never see that salesperson again.!
Congrats! I could understand your local Mississippi dealer needing to get destination charges plus. I am sure even if he matched their internet price he is still making money, just not as much as he is used to.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #33

THOR #6203
Joe-Fl
The salesman I had been negotiating with up to that point, said and I quote " if we sold you that unit at that price, we would be paying you to take it" .
As angry as I was at that point I had to laugh and frankly if it had been the truth it would be his mistake not mine.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:06 PM   #34
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
I've been searching the web for the best price for the Thor Axis 25.2 and so far rvDirect has beaten every quote thus far.
Have any of you dealt with rvDirect? If so what was your experience? What about getting warranty service after your purchase? I'm considering ordering a new one so that I get the coach I want.
Basically any information you could share would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

This time of year there are a number of RV Shows nationwide.
I suggest you find one near you and attend. The dealers all have SHOW pricing and incentives which make deals much more attractive.
Enjoy your search and be sure to let us all know if you have any questions.

IN ADDITION...Google reviews on any dealer you are looking at doing business with...you might find useful information....
remember...all dealerships are NOT created equal...IF you are a thousand miles from your dealer, you are not going to get support which you might need !
K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #35

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

If I remember correctly (from others who've purchased there and posted here) they let you spend a night at the dealer to work out the kinks.
Most dealers do have a place to set up over night in case you have any questions, need help or have any issues. MSHVR in Texas even has over head cover for you to park under. So make sure you take a coffee pot and some bed sheets.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:51 PM   #36

THOR #6203
Mustang94
Thanks. I'm not sure how any of this works so any tips are greatly appreciated.
I'm sure as time for delivery grows near I will be bombarding everyone with questions.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:39 PM   #37

THOR #2271
sfori,
Take a deep breath and make sure the dealer gives you a complete PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection). Make sure that EVERY system is explained and it's operation tested. There are several videos on youtube that walk you through this. Start and test everything. I know how exciting the moment is. But do take your time.

GOOD LUCK with your new purchase.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:24 AM   #38

Model: ACE EVO 30.3
THOR #6059
Quote:
Ok I'm getting a little concerned about the quote I've gotten from rvDirect or rvOne to be exact! So far their quote is anywhere from $6000 to $10000 less than from other sources!
I've been very careful to make certain I'm comparing apples to apples but that seems like a huge price range! The local dealer told me there was no way that could be legit!
Could he be right? How can I make certain that I'm not being scammed?
We bought our new ACE 30.3 from RV Direct/ Orlando RV and got a great deal! Best price we could find for our particular unit by far! They were very professional to deal with and financing was super easy.
They had great communication with us prior to delivery and the PDI lasted 4 hours and was quite thorough!
We live 3 1/2 hours from them, but are fortunate to have their Tampa location only a little over an hour away if we need to bring it back for service.
We also have a large independent RV service center in our town that will honor most factory and extended warranties as well.

Good luck with your purchase

Steven B
2017 ACE 30.3
S/W Florida
Old 01-10-2017, 02:41 AM   #39

THOR #6203
Stevenb
I ended up ordering through a local dealer who agreed to match rvDirects price. It has been an adventure but in the end everything has worked out well.
I got the unit at rvDirects price ( which was thousands lower than every other quote I had gotten) plus I have the advantage of having a dealer 2 1/2 hrs away.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #40
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Stevenb
I ended up ordering through a local dealer who agreed to match rvDirects price. It has been an adventure but in the end everything has worked out well.
I got the unit at rvDirects price ( which was thousands lower than every other quote I had gotten) plus I have the advantage of having a dealer 2 1/2 hrs away.
Happy to hear you made a good deal ... as I stated in a previous post...if you have the time...and a Winter RV Show is nearby...it is worthwhile to visit and get the wealth of information available !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote