Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2018, 10:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 Challenger 37 YT
State: Kentucky
THOR #8995
RV'er Situations

RV'ers have the opportunity to be in endless situations on the road and even in campgrounds. The most serious and possibly dangerous are the ones where bad actors may prey on RV'ers, especially elderly, during refueling or rest stops. Not the mention the dreaded highway break down especially after dark. But never fear as we have learned many if not most RV'ers are willing to assist others and these seasoned travels are prepared and carry protection. We would never leave home without some protection. I already know of a few situations were self protection meant the difference in a good day or a really bad day. Any comments or stories?

Old 08-11-2018, 10:48 PM   #2

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
I have traveled across this country numerous times, from east to west and north to south. I have stayed in rest areas, truck stops and campgrounds, I have also traveled all over the world and not once, never, not once have I felt fearfull of my surroundings or the people in my area. Never. Do I carry protection? No, I don't and neither does my wife. Am I licensed to carry? Yes I am, I can carry in all 50 States. Do I feel it's necessary to carry for my protection? No I don't. Not everyone will agree with me, but that's okay, everyone has an opinion. You've heard my opinion so now on to others.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:58 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
How'd you get around New York's lack of reciprocity with every other State?
I'm licensed to carry here; but I'd never dare cross State lines...
But I do always always carry a condom: does that count?

Seriously: the best way to survive the situation that you never want to experience:; is to never get caught in one!
"Situational Awareness" is your best friend!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:22 AM   #4

THOR #8995
Protection

Not necessarily carry but travel with protection just in case.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:34 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I am a big believer in situational awareness. I am also a big believer in knowing where I am going and only going to places I will be safe. When I need to carry a weapon for safety while travelling I will quit travelling.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:09 AM   #6

THOR #8995
Situation

Since the chance of a bad situation is multiplied after dark maybe we should travel only in the daylight. Having broken down near midnight on an interstate before does not give a person that warm and fuzzy feeling. Nor do fuel stops off interstates where people approach you for money.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #7

State: Florida
THOR #1249
All these comments about safety from mostly two legged critters are good. I will throw my 2 cents in and say if you are lic. to carry, know how to use it proficiently and are comfortable with it, go for it. I carry a spare tire just in case, others don't; all a matter of choice.

Guns are a very political hot topic these days and I don't want to stir the pot, but will say that we did not get to be the greatest country by not having guns.
Also, those who have used a gun to save lives, their own or others, will most likely not freely relate those stories in an open forum.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #8

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Tennessee
THOR #12170
Sometimes mistakes are made and you end up somewhere you didn't intend on being. Sometimes thugs frequent high traffic areas looking for an easy victim. Whether you have a firearm with you or not, as Lt Keefer said, you need to be aware of your surroundings. Is someone looking at you more often and intently that a passing glance at your coach? You can tell if someone is "sizing you up" by the way they look at you and around you. As I said, thugs look for an easy victim.

Broke down on the side of the road? Another RV'er stopping to assist would be a comfort. There is always strength in numbers! I haven't made any long trips yet; however, I will always plan on traveling in the daylight. But, plans don't always go the way we plan!
Old 08-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Texas
THOR #12635
I carry insurance on my RV, don't intend on ever being in an accident but you never know. Also carry a fire extinguisher I never plan to use. The normal sane person never plans on being in a bad situation, but just like the other tools it doesn't hurt to have and know how to use them...
Good Sam Member 855452801
Sk8nmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmath View Post
I have traveled across this country numerous times, from east to west and north to south. I have stayed in rest areas, truck stops and campgrounds, I have also traveled all over the world and not once, never, not once have I felt fearfull of my surroundings or the people in my area. Never. Do I carry protection? No, I don't and neither does my wife. Am I licensed to carry? Yes I am, I can carry in all 50 States. Do I feel it's necessary to carry for my protection? No I don't. Not everyone will agree with me, but that's okay, everyone has an opinion. You've heard my opinion so now on to others.

How are you licensed in all 50 states? I’m not saying you are not but really want to know how you accomplished this. I don’t carry when traveling simply due to the lack of reciprocity in almost half the states. PM me if you don’t want to discuss on public forum.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
How are you licensed in all 50 states? I’m not saying you are not but really want to know how you accomplished this. I don’t carry when traveling simply due to the lack of reciprocity in almost half the states. PM me if you don’t want to discuss on public forum.
The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) is a United States federal law, enacted in 2004, that allows two classes of persons—the "qualified law enforcement officer" and the "qualified retired or separated law enforcement officer"—to carry a concealed firearm in any jurisdiction in the United States, regardless of state or local laws, with certain exceptions.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:15 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We don't know if this is the situation or not...

I know the rules here in New York; but I'm not nearly as familiar with those in other jurisdictions...
And ignorance of the Law is never an excuse!
If you're travelling with ANY firearm: know the rules!

Personally: I prefer a simple .410 shotgun that's loaded with 8s...
If you're in a campground, and trouble comes calling: you have all sorts of innocent folks who you could be putting in peril. Use something with MINIMAL penetrative capabilities!!
Old 08-12-2018, 01:20 PM   #13

THOR #2020
Thanks Tcryman. I am aware of this but as Bob says we don’t know if this is the case. I was expecting this to be the answer but thought maybe there was some other method.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I think that if you pick up enough licences in various States: you can link them together through reciprocity, and make it work:
But I've never tried to figure out which States, or how it's done...
Old 08-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #15

THOR #2020
RV'er Situations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I think that if you pick up enough licences in various States: you can link them together through reciprocity, and make it work:

But I've never tried to figure out which States, or how it's done... [emoji5]

I believe some states have NO reciprocity. I believe CA, HA, NY, NJ are among those without reciprocity.

https://www.gunstocarry.com/ccw-reciprocity-map/
Old 08-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #16

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10300
Since one can never fully know what unanticipated situation you may find yourself in, being prepared is generally a good idea (just like having insurance, fire extinguisher, etc.). For my part, I carry under the auspices of LEOSA as explained above. Our son lives in Chicago and we visit there often. Even so, I'm not a native Chicagoan and, therefore, could potentially be somewhere I would not otherwise want to be.

Even though I can and do carry nationwide, I have found through my career a highly developed situational awareness is by far your best defense. It also makes a difference on how you interact with unwelcome strangers approaching you. In potentially unfriendly situations (e.g., persons asking for money) I don't engage as well as project a dismissive "don't bother me" demeanor (in other words; don't look like the injured gazelle to the lion approaching the herd) and get out of harm's way as expeditiously as possible.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I wholeheartedly agree: Make yourself appear to be unapproachable, and they'll go find an easier target...

It's just like the old joke:
Two Hikers are in the Mountains. They round a corner in the trail, and find themselves staring into the eyes of a pretty mean-looking bear...
One hiker drops to the ground, and starts putting on a pair of sneakers.
"What are you doing??", his friend asks. "You know that you can't outrun a bear."
"I don't have to outrun the bear: I only have to outrun you...", was the reply.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:44 PM   #18

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Many years ago at a RV rally, a retired cop gave a program on self-protection for RVers. He pointed out that even well-trained professional law enforcement officers have difficulty hitting a target under pressure with a hand weapon.

His suggestion for firepower was a short barrel shotgun. He made a good case for going instead with a simple household product, wasp spray. They shoot a long ways and will temporarily blind an assailant. Cheap and readily availble. Longer shelf life and range than pepper spray. And as an added bonus, you can kill wasps with it!
Old 08-12-2018, 11:51 PM   #19

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
I believe some states have NO reciprocity. I believe CA, HA, NY, NJ are among those without reciprocity.

https://www.gunstocarry.com/ccw-reciprocity-map/
and Oregon.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:39 AM   #20

Model: Windsport 31z
State: Arizona
THOR #8277
I would rather have one and not need it than...... need one and not have one! Situational awareness is the key.