Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2020, 07:30 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
When we purchased our motorhome “used” from LaMesa RV in Mesa AZ, they had to charge County sales tax for their county, and were going to charge us AZ Sales Tax until I told them the deal was off. We are residents of SD. Their Finance guy finally figured it out and got it right, but not until we walked out the door. We still ended up with something like 2.5% County Tax in AZ and they said there was no way around it.
What a fluster-cuck!

Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:50 PM   #22

Brand: Keystone
State: North Carolina
THOR #5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
To be honest, I thought I did. It was my understanding that you paid sales tax when you register the vehicle. According to the nc dmv, this is true. According to them I should not have paid taxes in al but the dealer is telling me that the dmv is wrong and that they, the dmv, should have credited my account for the taxes already paid.
I bought my last 5 units at CW in Myrtle Beach SC. About 3 weeks later I have paperwork to take to the NC DMV. SC collects nothing and provides a 30 day tag.

Edgewater 205 EXP
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:10 PM   #23

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB View Post
Plus pain in the ass Illinois requires a written affidavit that motor hone not in flood or hurricane to get clean title
IL turned major interstates into toll roads. How do they get away with that? It used to be illegal. Interstates are federally funded with your tax dollars. Bridges and such are maintained by the state and they are allowed to charge a fee for that maintenance. They're not suppose to charge a toll for the road itself.

This is not a BMG. I'd like to now how they're allowed to do it.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:15 PM   #24

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
When we purchased our motorhome “used” from LaMesa RV in Mesa AZ, they had to charge County sales tax for their county, and were going to charge us AZ Sales Tax until I told them the deal was off. We are residents of SD. Their Finance guy finally figured it out and got it right, but not until we walked out the door. We still ended up with something like 2.5% County Tax in AZ and they said there was no way around it.
What a fluster-cuck!
That's bologna. All they had to do was deduct the sales tax from the price. You would have paid a lesser price and less sales tax. If they wanted to the sell the RV, everybody would have won.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:26 PM   #25

State: Ontario
THOR #18996
I purchased a Thor 35c in Florida and told DMV I was exporting to Canada. They said the only way out of the tax was to have the RV trucked to Canada.. They charged me 6% then in Canada they charged me 13%. Seems everyone wants to steal a cut! Is there anyway to get the 5% back as the unit was Exported!!
Old 07-08-2020, 10:49 PM   #26

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Death and taxes.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:56 PM   #27

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
THOR #14921
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
That's bologna. All they had to do was deduct the sales tax from the price. You would have paid a lesser price and less sales tax. If they wanted to the sell the RV, everybody would have won.
They actually increased the value of my trade-in, but the bottom line was they still got the county tax in there. I was not totally happy, but it wasn’t worth falling on my sword for it either...

It’s all smoke and mirrors....
Midlothian, TX / Gold Canyon, AZ
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:46 PM   #28

THOR #12189
and you have that right...
Old 07-09-2020, 12:00 AM   #29

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
So I recently purchased a 29m in Alabama. The dealer charged me almost 4% in sales tax. I questioned this as I live in North Carolina and he assured me that NC would recognize the payment and I wouldn't have to pay it again. Well the NC dmv did not agree and they charged me 3% when I registered the rv. So now I am out 7% and both parties are pointing fingers. Has anyone had to deal with this before? I shouldn't have to pay taxes twice.
He is correct NC should have credited the tax payment . What is rate in NC?
Old 07-09-2020, 09:10 AM   #30

State: New York
THOR #18343
We made our purchase in R.I. live in NY. We were charged partial R.I. sales tax, about 2%. Then were reimbursed by check for the amount paid. Unit was insured to drive it back to NY, then put into storage. About two weeks went by and insurance company called and said NY was refusing insurance information and kept sending it back. There was no need to register due to it being in storage. Insurance company kept hounding us about DMV kicking it back. Took all the paper work and went to DMV, explained the situation and was told that’s all well and good, but the State wants their sales tax money!! Tried to submit check made out to NY State and they refused it, 𝗖𝗮𝘀𝗵 OR credit card only! $5800 later problem solved!
Old 07-09-2020, 09:30 PM   #31

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I live in Indiana but bought my coach in North Carolina. The CW dealership uses a contract service for out of state purchasers and they TOTALLY messed it all up. Took over 3 months to get the title and they were supposed to register it for us as well. THAT took another two months and even then they got it wrong. Finally I went to the BMV and spent 2 hours undoing the mess and starting over. I had to get “Markus” involved which didn’t help much but got me a $50 gift card. At one point I got a letter from the state that said they had noticed that I purchased a new vehicle that had not been registered and if I were to be caught driving it it would be subject to impounding. Had to delay our snowbird trip to Florida!
Old 07-10-2020, 09:20 PM   #32
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
IL turned major interstates into toll roads. How do they get away with that? It used to be illegal. Interstates are federally funded with your tax dollars. Bridges and such are maintained by the state and they are allowed to charge a fee for that maintenance. They're not suppose to charge a toll for the road itself.

This is not a BMG. I'd like to now how they're allowed to do it.

I didn’t think NEW tolls were permitted on Interstates, but many old ones were grandfathered including NY, OH, and others... I assumed IL as well? Or are they really new?

Ohio has a private company maintaining I-80 - collecting tolls and controlling who can provide road service. But they do have nice RV electric hookups in rest areas...

Nice to drive MI to FL without a penny in tolls...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:23 AM   #33

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
When we bought our MH in Florida, we were charged 5% Fla tax, and when we went to title it in West Virginia, we had to pay another 5% to the state of West Virginia. We found out that WV doesn't have a reciprocal agreement with Florida, cost us another $3500.00.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:39 AM   #34
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch S View Post
When we bought our MH in Florida, we were charged 5% Fla tax, and when we went to title it in West Virginia, we had to pay another 5% to the state of West Virginia. We found out that WV doesn't have a reciprocal agreement with Florida, cost us another $3500.00.
Florida sales tax is 6%.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:07 AM   #35

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
I didn’t think NEW tolls were permitted on Interstates, but many old ones were grandfathered including NY, OH, and others... I assumed IL as well? Or are they really new?

Ohio has a private company maintaining I-80 - collecting tolls and controlling who can provide road service. But they do have nice RV electric hookups in rest areas...

Nice to drive MI to FL without a penny in tolls...
Have an old AF Buddy I'd like to meet up with in Ohio. not a penny in tolls? How's that?