Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2020, 07:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Sales tax for out of state purchase

So I recently purchased a 29m in Alabama. The dealer charged me almost 4% in sales tax. I questioned this as I live in North Carolina and he assured me that NC would recognize the payment and I wouldn't have to pay it again. Well the NC dmv did not agree and they charged me 3% when I registered the rv. So now I am out 7% and both parties are pointing fingers. Has anyone had to deal with this before? I shouldn't have to pay taxes twice.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:58 PM   #2

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
So I recently purchased a 29m in Alabama. The dealer charged me almost 4% in sales tax. I questioned this as I live in North Carolina and he assured me that NC would recognize the payment and I wouldn't have to pay it again. Well the NC dmv did not agree and they charged me 3% when I registered the rv. So now I am out 7% and both parties are pointing fingers. Has anyone had to deal with this before? I shouldn't have to pay taxes twice.
Sounds like you need to visit the comptroller to get a refund.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:22 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
What do the two States' Laws say about collecting sales tax?

If Florida you are charged sales tax on large purchases (like cars) based on the tax rate of your residence. That may be the same in NC.

But some states mandate the collection of sales tax based on the place of purchase; maybe Alabama is that way.

And then their is the point of credit for sales tax paid to another state at time of purchase when you go to register. What does NC say about that?

Do some research, get your ducks in a row and see if you have a case to complain about.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:38 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Did you get a temporary or permanent license plate in Alabama? If so the vehicle was registered there and sales tax charged.

NC did not charge you a sales tax. They charge a Highway use Tax of 3 percent.

You may have gotten bit by buying outside your home sate.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:50 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: you've got to know all of the rules...
Old 06-29-2020, 08:59 PM   #6

THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I agree: you've got to know all of the rules...
To be honest, I thought I did. It was my understanding that you paid sales tax when you register the vehicle. According to the nc dmv, this is true. According to them I should not have paid taxes in al but the dealer is telling me that the dmv is wrong and that they, the dmv, should have credited my account for the taxes already paid.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:44 AM   #7

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
I live in Missouri and just purchased a motor home in Florida. Florida charged us a little over 4% in sales tax, when we registered the RV at home we got credit for what we paid in Florida for state sales tax and just had to pay local/city sales tax. Since Florida sales tax is more than Missouri sales tax the overage was credited towards our local tax and was only out of pocket another $100.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:54 AM   #8

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Expand the section titled Vehicles Purchased Outside of North Carolina by clicking on the plus sign. If vehicle is registered within 90 days you get credit for taxes paid in another state.

https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/title-regi...s/default.aspx
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:54 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
I live in Missouri and just purchased a motor home in Florida. Florida charged us a little over 4% in sales tax, when we registered the RV at home we got credit for what we paid in Florida for state sales tax and just had to pay local/city sales tax. Since Florida sales tax is more than Missouri sales tax the overage was credited towards our local tax and was only out of pocket another $100.
4%? Florida State Sales Tax is 6% on the difference between the selling price and the trade-in price. Did you have a trade?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:06 PM   #10

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
A few years ago i purchased a vehicle in Illinois. I found out that Ilinois and Florida had a reciprocity agreement. As a result, Illinois collected the Florida Sales Tax and gave me a form (receipt) to present to Florida DMV so I didn't have to pay any sales tax when I went to get my tags in Florida.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #11

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
are you sure that NC tax rate is not 7%, so they charged you the 'difference' between what the dealer collected, and what they charge?

when we purchased our Palazzo in Texas, they collected the 6.75% TAVT fee(similar to sales tax, but Georgia changed from direct 'sales' taxes on vehicles to a new TAVT 'fee' that year, back in 2014), submitted it to GA, and GA had it already applied to our registration when we returned and asked for our 'TAG'... the Texas dealer had given us a 60day 'temp' tag until we returned.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:05 AM   #12

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
4%? Florida State Sales Tax is 6% on the difference between the selling price and the trade-in price. Did you have a trade?
Yes.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:59 AM   #13

Model: Mercedes Citation
State: Illinois
THOR #10168
Bought our motor home in South Carolina no tax charged got gouged in Illinois 6.5% Illinois sucks on taxes.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:02 AM   #14

THOR #10168
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB View Post
Bought our motor home in South Carolina no tax charged got gouged in Illinois 6.5% Illinois sucks on taxes.

Thankful we only got charged county tax or it would have been almost 10%
Old 07-03-2020, 01:07 AM   #15

THOR #10168
Quote:
Thankful we only got charged county tax or it would have been almost 10%

Plus pain in the ass Illinois requires a written affidavit that motor hone not in flood or hurricane to get clean title
Old 07-03-2020, 01:18 AM   #16

THOR #10168
Sales tax for out of state purchase

Quote:
Plus pain in the ass Illinois requires a written affidavit that motor hone not in flood or hurricane to get clean title

I’m on a roll. RV plates in last 15 years went from $48 to $101 to $151. A trailer went from $18 to $118. And Illinois gas tax doubled see what happens in a Democratic State never solving problems
Old 07-04-2020, 11:53 PM   #17

THOR #19102
Just an update on this. Had the nc dmv speak to the dealer. Turns out the dealer did not use the proper form when reporting my taxes paid. So now I have to wait for the new form and hopefully I will get some money back.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:44 PM   #18

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
To be honest, I thought I did. It was my understanding that you paid sales tax when you register the vehicle. According to the nc dmv, this is true. According to them I should not have paid taxes in al but the dealer is telling me that the dmv is wrong and that they, the dmv, should have credited my account for the taxes already paid.
The dealer is wrong. You need to talk to the head of the dealership. They should have sent the money to your State’s DMV. Ask for proof.

When I purchased an RV out of State a couple years ago they did that.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:07 PM   #19
UAV

Model: 2020 Magnitude XG32
State: Colorado
THOR #16507
Here in Colorado, whether you buy a pack of gum or a very expensive motorhome you pay based on residency.

For where I live in a suburb just west of Denver, it is 7.95%.

Under some circumstances one can get that reduced by 2.9% based upon the weight and what type of vehicle you buy.

Either way, highway robbery and they not only know it, the politicians are most proud of it.

And they wonder why people get plates in Montana, change purchase prices so the tax is less, etc. The State did crack down on the whole Montana gig a few years back.

I almost bought our rig in Texas in which case they would have collected no sales tax since they knew I was paying it here in Colorado.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:07 PM   #20

State: Alabama
THOR #17043
Sales tax

I live in Nashvillle and bought in Florida. I paid the taxes the same day I registered the vehicle in Nashville