Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2020, 07:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
THOR #18787
San-T-Flush use

We have a Windsport 29M with San-T-Flush. Our Grey and Black tanks seem to have a delay on their sensors. Can someone tell me after dumping Black completely. When we Close Black and let the San-T-Flush fill black tank, with an average water hose running, how long can we let it run and fill (in minutes) without overfilling or blowing our Black Water exhaust? We want to flush as much of the tank as possible.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:15 PM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
First things first, hopefully you're using a dedicated hose for that, not your drinking water hose???
As to how long to let the water run? DO NOT use the tank sensors as a gauge to do this, they are notorious for being so totally inaccurate to the point of being useless, especially the black tank sensor. Watching/listening at the toilet with the pedal depressed is a more accurate than the sensors. Do this with someone inside at the toilet with the pedal depressed while someone else outside manning the hose, preferably with a shut off on it & timing it to full or close to it. For others to give you an accurate time would only be guessing on their part & a recipe for a mess.
One piece of advice, NEVER leave this process unattended, 100% attention is required or it's a crappy (pun intended) mess.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:29 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
I do use a dedicated hose for my tank flush but I often wonder why I bother. My system has TWO separate one way valves in the line and the inlet connection is higher than the tank so for the life of me I can’t see how there is any risk of contamination!
Old 08-03-2020, 09:58 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I put about a half-cup of dish soap down the toilet (after dumping it), and then start up the San-T-Flush system. I probably let it put about ten gallons of water back in the tank, and then I start dumping. I keep re-filling and dumping, until the water comes out free of soap bubbles.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:38 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I never look at the tank level sensors as they are not that reliable. I dump the black every 4 or 5 days. I don't use the flush at every dump. A couple of times a year I use it at home when hooked up to the septic system. I let it run for a few minutes, then dump, repeating until the tank runs clear.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:51 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
... For others to give you an accurate time would only be guessing on their part & a recipe for a mess.
One piece of advice, NEVER leave this process unattended, 100% attention is required or it's a crappy (pun intended) mess.
Very true. Also, to try timing this process is a waste of time, IMO, because you will not go to two RV parks that have the water pressure or water flow.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:58 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I never look at the tank level sensors as they are not that reliable. I dump the black every 4 or 5 days. I don't use the flush at every dump. A couple of times a year I use it at home when hooked up to the septic system. I let it run for a few minutes, then dump, repeating until the tank runs clear.
I have always used the tank sensors for this process. With the current. coach it is easier since I can monitor tank levels on my iPhone while outside manning the hose.

The process I use
  1. Dump the black tank
  2. Run the tank flush for a minute or tow with the black tank valve open
  3. Close the black tank valve and fill the tank to 1/3
  4. Open the valve and drain the black tank
  5. Close the black tank valve and fill the tank to 2/3
  6. Open the valve and drain the black tank
  7. Close the black tank valve and fill the tank to 2/3 plus 30 seconds
  8. Open the valve and drain the black tank

I repeat the last two steps until there is no longer any crud coming out of the tank as observed through a clear sewer hose adapter.

Enjoy the journey.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:00 AM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I fill my black tank (40 gallons) about 2/3 full twice after dumping. Helps keep the sensors free of debris and clean as possible.

I use one of these along with the sensors to verify when the tank has enough water in it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then after all that we add Calgon Water Softener (keeps the walls and sensors slick), Dawn dish soap and septic treatment.

Also, there is a vacuum breaker valve plumbed into the San-T-Flush system to prevent the black tank from back-filling into the coach plumbing. Now there is always the chance it could fail so I use an orange hose for the flush.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:19 PM   #9

THOR #18787
amazon product to help with black tank sensor

thanks for the suggestions. on your Amazon link, can you send me the name of the product you use? the link did not work
Old 08-04-2020, 12:55 PM   #10

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wburg8 View Post
thanks for the suggestions. on your Amazon link, can you send me the name of the product you use? the link did not work
I use a Rainwave RW-9FM LCD Digital Water Flow Meter that I got on Amazon. It measures the amount of water flowing through the hose so I can keep an eye on how much water is in the tank before I drain it.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:54 PM   #11

THOR #9586
I time it every time I fill it usually around 10 minutes to fill I watch the level of water through my toilet then walk around and pull the black. I also check sensor on the wall. I do it 4 or 5 times
Old 08-08-2020, 09:40 PM   #12

Model: Delano 24tt
State: Virginia
THOR #19471
San T Flush Manufacturers Instructions

You can certainly use all the the procedures that are suggested above, and they surely all work well. BUT, so you know, the manufacturers instructions (https://liferebooted.net/2018-phaeto...structions.pdf) would seem to indicate that the BLACK TANK FLUSH VALVE should remain OPEN when using the San T Flush. I only use this product in that way, and let the water run for at least several minutes, and while it may not clean as well as it might if filling the black tank with water, I can do the process suggested by the manufacturer by myself and without worrying about overflowing the tank and flooding the RV roof and/or interior. So just a word of caution.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:52 PM   #13

THOR #12751
Use a water flow meter and you don’t have to worry about over filling the tank.

Filing the tank at least 2/3 full will do a better job keeping the sensors clean and free of debris as well as the tank itself.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:42 AM   #14
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Flow meters are good and accurate. I don't use one for the tank flush, but do for the fresh water tank fill. I run the flush for five minuets two to three times. I suggest do not and I mean do not leave, talk, or be distracted when doing the flush. If you do, you will/may find out just how good your toilet seal and associated plumbing is. If you are very lucky, the overflow will exit the air vent on the roof! Don't think this has not happened, because it has. Thankfully not to me.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:59 AM   #15

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Quote:
We have a Windsport 29M with San-T-Flush. Our Grey and Black tanks seem to have a delay on their sensors. Can someone tell me after dumping Black completely. When we Close Black and let the San-T-Flush fill black tank, with an average water hose running, how long can we let it run and fill (in minutes) without overfilling or blowing our Black Water exhaust? We want to flush as much of the tank as possible.
We have a 29m as well and yes there is a delay. I think it has to do with the firefly system and how it processes the input from the sensors. As for filling the black tank with the flush, I wouldn't do it unless you have someone inside to watch it.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:17 AM   #16

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
The cap on my flush hose attachment says not to use the flush without the black tank valve open. It’s not really spray flushing it out unless you have tank valve open. So done properly, you’ll not overflow the tank.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:54 PM   #17

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
The cap on my flush hose attachment says not to use the flush without the black tank valve open. It’s not really spray flushing it out unless you have tank valve open. So done properly, you’ll not overflow the tank.

I don’t flush very often but when I do I leave the gate valve open and flush for several minutes. Then I close it and allow the thank to fill for another several minutes before opening and flushing for several more minutes. Finally I close the gate valve before shutting off the flush flow so there will be several gallons of water in the tank to slosh around as we drive home. Sometimes I dump that rinse water at home just into the street and it’s usually pretty clean. ( I know, I know!). Lastly I store with at least some water in the tank to keep anything that might still be clinging to the bottom soaked.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:59 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1596977967
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Humor 30.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	77.6 KB