Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2021, 11:48 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I also don't have a problem following Thors recommendation. My levels are always right but we don't put paper into the black tank, like many people on here

I just don't underdstand how and why someone would want to carry used TP around their coach.... regardless of how it is being stored and disposed.

If an RV toilet and black tank are used properly, there are no issues. Just have to follow the rules:

1. Going #1 - use a 1/2 bowl full of water

2. Going #2 - use a full bowl and flush when you go and another full bowl when you wipe... this allows the water to move everything to the bottom of the tank (along with the half-bowl for #1).

3. Don't dump until at least 75% full

4. Use the San-T-Flush to fill the black tank 80 - 90% full of fresh water and dump again. Do this once or twice until you don't see any or minimal debris coming out the drain.

5. Add a couple gallons of water and then add Calgon water softener, Dawn dish soap and a septic tab. This will slosh around the tank wile driving to keep the walls and sensors slick so nothing wants to to stick to them.

Never had a problem and use the RV toilet the same way we use the home toilet. Now if you don't have hookups you have to modify this a bit if you are conserving water.

Old 07-02-2021, 12:10 PM   #22

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I just don't underdstand how and why someone would want to carry used TP around their coach.... regardless of how it is being stored and disposed.

If an RV toilet and black tank are used properly, there are no issues. Just have to follow the rules:

2. Going #2 - use a full bowl and flush when you go and another full bowl when you wipe... this allows the water to move everything to the bottom of the tank (along with the half-bowl for #1).

4. Use the San-T-Flush to fill the black tank 80 - 90% full of fresh water and dump again. Do this once or twice until you don't see any or minimal debris coming out the drain.

5. Add a couple gallons of water and then add Calgon water softener, Dawn dish soap and a septic tab. This will slosh around the tank wile driving to keep the walls and sensors slick so nothing wants to to stick to them.

Never had a problem and use the RV toilet the same way we use the home toilet. Now if you don't have hookups you have to modify this a bit if you are conserving water.
We don't use see through tp, we use tp like Charmin. We have an electronic can that automatically opens when anything gets near it and closes automatically. The can is emptied every day, I've never had to add anything besides chemical to the tank. 30 years and my sensors always work. I say whatever works for the person, if what you're doing works keep doing it.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:13 PM   #23

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
We don't use see through tp, we use tp like Charmin. We have an electronic can that automatically opens when anything gets near it and closes automatically. The can is emptied every day, I've never had to add anything besides chemical to the tank. 30 years and my sensors always work. I say whatever works for the person, if what you're doing works keep doing it.
That's fine.... glad it works for you.

But we use the same TP that we use at home. We go to Costco and get one of the giant packs and we put some in the coach and some in the house. Never had an issue.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:17 PM   #24

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Exactly why they say it. No one want the black tank to come out into the mh

Now if I don't have a full hook up site and have to use the cg dump station I might not do it if people are waiting. But I normally have full hook ups

I replaced the stock tank Guage with the seelevel 2 system and added a second tank monitor in the sewer bay. When time to use the santiflush I get my chair and a drink and kick back next to the sewer compartment and watch the Guage, dumping when in the 80%+

JerryAttachment 31756Attachment 31757
Haha! Never imagined that as great entertainment.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:23 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Since this is the second page of "poop talk": it's probably time to cue the movie...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:45 PM   #26

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Same here... with a twist. After running a "goodly" amount of water in, I put a foot up on the end of the rear bumper and rock it maybe a half dozen times to slosh-rinse. Then drain. It takes maybe 3 reps to get sparkling clear water.

Concerning the gray tank... I am absolutely anal about NEVER running any food items or grease (yuck) down the sink... we only wash dishes with dawn liquid after they're wiped off with Clorox wipes or similar. So... only soapy water with very minimal residue.

I cheat though... I have a well tap (garden water) and a pvc sewer clean-out in my backyard. Allows me to leisurely flush. The final touch is about a cup each of Tide liquid and Calgon. Then I run a few gallons more water in there to keep a "rosy stew" in there... which slides right out on the next dump-n-flush. Been doing this for years, and the factory tank sensors have never failed. After the gray tank dump, a little rinse of the sewer hose and we're all set for the next trip.

The vacuum break is required by plumbing code. It's a plastic spring loaded device which prevents backflow (siphoning) of "bilge" back into the fresh water supply. I had one stick on a trailer several years ago... yielding water all over the bathroom floor.

It's correct that the San-T-Flush system is NOT a pressure washer. It's only a convenience to avoid standing inside with a foot on the toilet flush. And no... you don't have to have the drain valves open... unless you wander off and forget...
Agree!
Concerning the gray tank... I am absolutely anal about NEVER running any food items or grease (yuck) down the sink... we only wash dishes with dawn liquid after they're wiped off with Clorox wipes or similar. So... only soapy water with very minimal residue.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:47 PM   #27

THOR #20220
Quote:

Great knowledge
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:58 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
There's no doubt: the Judge knows poop!
Old 07-02-2021, 01:28 PM   #29

THOR #20220
Has anyone done this?

Old 07-02-2021, 02:05 PM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks for the video. It was pretty informative!
Old 07-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #31

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Thanks for the video. It was pretty informative!
How come no one has come up with the idea of a like a Macerator mechanism that grinds everything as it goes down the hole (built into the toilet) instead of a Macerator at the dump valve?
Old 07-02-2021, 02:28 PM   #32
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
How come no one has come up with the idea of a like a Macerator mechanism that grinds everything as it goes down the hole (built into the toilet) instead of a Macerator at the dump valve?
They have:

Google Macerator RV toilet.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:35 PM   #33

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Most current marine toilets are macerator type. Our 1968 UltraVan came with a Saniware 1000 marine macerating toilet. All new Entegra DP come with macerating toilets. Any MH can be upgraded to a macerating toilet. Be aware than macerating toilets do not handle dental floss well; other than that, they work really well.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:40 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
They have:

Just don't drop your dentures or reading glasses...
Old 07-02-2021, 06:30 PM   #35

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
They have:

That would work well except they use more water. I try to get full hookups when I can but if we can't that would be a pain to go and dump a few times
Old 07-02-2021, 06:32 PM   #36

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Most current marine toilets are macerator type. Our 1968 UltraVan came with a Saniware 1000 marine macerating toilet. All new Entegra DP come with macerating toilets. Any MH can be upgraded to a macerating toilet. Be aware than macerating toilets do not handle dental floss well; other than that, they work really well.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:33 PM   #37

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Just don't drop your dentures or reading glasses...
Thanks and they look nice too
Old 07-02-2021, 06:34 PM   #38

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
That's fine.... glad it works for you.

But we use the same TP that we use at home. We go to Costco and get one of the giant packs and we put some in the coach and some in the house. Never had an issue.
We use the same Charmin from Costco in the RV also.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:14 PM   #39

THOR #15410
I have used the Santi flush with the valve closed, but not for very long. Then I will put calgon down both gray and black water drains.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:27 PM   #40

Model: Chateau V25
State: California
THOR #19470
SeeLevel gauges

I do the same thing many have said here. I only pull the valve on the black tank when it's loaded at 75% or more. I use the San-T-Flush to fill the black tank to that level or more, then pull the valve, do it again till clear and my gauge (see below) shows 0%.

The old internal sensors are ridiculous! For example, if it shows the first dot (one-third full) it could be anywhere from 34% to 65%. Plus, half of the time, there's a piece of toilet paper sticking to the wire sensor so it shows Full when it's really empty. No more 1/3, 2/3, FULL statuses for me! I, too, installed the SeeLevel III (external sensors on fresh, gray, black, propane, and battery) two years ago and am EXTREMELY happy with it. I even have an app on my phone so I can check my poop level before I go to sleep. It shows exactly my level .. 3%, 11%, 49%, 87%, whatever! You won't regret it!

Oh, and I actually put toilet paper into my toilet!
puppygeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dump, sanitation