Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #1
Max

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #6984
Satellite

We have an Ace Thor class A and are trying to decide on roof satellite or portable? Pros and cons?

Old 07-05-2017, 04:06 PM   #2

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I vote portable. A lot of times you will want your RV in the shade of the trees. You can position the portable antenna away from the coach. Oh, and did I mention a lot cheaper.

Downside is that I can only use one TV at a time. But since I only watch TV in the main cabin, that is not an issue. I run the cable thru the passenger window, over the TV and into the cabinet above the sink where I have the satellite box. NOTE: If you try to use the outside coach cable connector, it will not work. The box supplies power to the dish. I've seen a discussion on this board on how to make a mod that works.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:11 PM   #3

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
I vote portable. A lot of times you will want your RV in the shade of the trees. You can position the portable antenna away from the coach. Oh, and did I mention a lot cheaper.

Downside is that I can only use one TV at a time. But since I only watch TV in the main cabin, that is not an issue. I run the cable thru the passenger window, over the TV and into the cabinet above the sink where I have the satellite box. NOTE: If you try to use the outside coach cable connector, it will not work. The box supplies power to the dish. I've seen a discussion on this board on how to make a mod that works.
Are you dish or Direct? I'm curious how easy it is to get HD channels on Direct with a portable dish. I know my sister had one, but it only got SD channels.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #4
Max

THOR #6984
I have Direct TV. I'm not understanding why the cable has to go through the window....why doesn't the connector on back of MH work?
Old 07-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I have Direct TV. I'm not understanding why the cable has to go through the window....why doesn't the connector on back of MH work?
The connector on the back of the MH goes to a switch box for distribution... The satellite system requires a direct connection between the satellite and the receiver (there can be connectors - but no splitters/switches).

I would expect you can use the connection on the outside IF you disconnect its input to the switch box and use that to feed the satellite receiver.. (Assumes no splitters between entry and switch box - and assumes a good cable the length of that run... The latter isn't true for my rig - so I need to run another cable...)

Certainly can do something more permanent than 'thru the window' if desired - but it works.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:03 PM   #6
Max

THOR #6984
Direct TV or Dish? And why?
Old 07-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
We have Dish with a portable Tailgater & VIP211Z.

As mentioned, portable is good to clear away from trees or other RVs.

We do connect to the outside connection. I did modify the wire connections for the cable distribution.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:24 PM   #8

THOR #8135
2017 Thor freedom elite 29fe, We also have dish with portable king tailgater, with the portable roof mount. Dish is easier and pay as u go, we got it for three months because of our traveling time. We have two receivers one in bed and one in living room area...went camping and placed it outside in the open field....only one TV worked the one in the living room...but I was told that it was wired for two. Used the outside IF disconnecting the input to switch box to feed the sat receiver.... had to buy more cable though...still only one TV worked...but two dish receivers, tryna figure out how to get both to work... gonna take it back Dealer...they say it should be working....
Old 07-05-2017, 10:29 PM   #9

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Quote:
I have DISH which has more HD.

The satellite box has to supply power back to the antenna. The switch and amplifier block that ability. Somewhere else on this forum, someone has posted how to work around this issue.

There is only one amplifier on my satellite box. The output of the box is HDMI that will feed one TV. What would be the use of using the outside connector?
Old 07-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #10

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #1183
Winegard G2 and VIP211 are a good combination. Install on roof with optional roof mount kit. Simply ask for "satellite friendly site." If none available it is a ten minute job to remove from roof and move to suitable location. The G2 can be switched from Direct to Dish in a matter of minutes - so you are not tied to one supplier.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:10 PM   #11
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Direct TV or Dish? And why?
First consideration would be what do you have at home? Typically you can take one of your home receivers with you and not pay extra... and a system you are used to using...

If you don't have satellite at home - from what I have seen, Dish seems to have a better 'pay as you go' program... That would sway it for me if I were in that position.

(I have DirecTV at home - so would attempt to use that first if I were looking to do so._
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:34 AM   #12

THOR #1793
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethor17 View Post
2017 Thor freedom elite 29fe, We also have dish with portable king tailgater, with the portable roof mount. Dish is easier and pay as u go, we got it for three months because of our traveling time. We have two receivers one in bed and one in living room area...went camping and placed it outside in the open field....only one TV worked the one in the living room...but I was told that it was wired for two. Used the outside IF disconnecting the input to switch box to feed the sat receiver.... had to buy more cable though...still only one TV worked...but two dish receivers, tryna figure out how to get both to work... gonna take it back Dealer...they say it should be working....
I have an older model DISH Tailgater and it only has one coax output, thus supports only one tv. I just viewed the KING Tailgater with two coax outputs which supports two tv's. The ** noted that the programming must be on and use the same satellite. Running around TX (Houston/Dallas), I usually get satellites 110, 119 and 129 or any combo of those. At times, I may not have all three and then lose certain channels. Something to consider.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:38 AM   #13

THOR #1793
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...tlet-1344.html

Try thread above, my post #7 talks about how I worked around splitter/booster.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:56 AM   #14

Model: Siesta Sprinter 24SR
State: California
THOR #4493
We have the wineguard G2+ portable for Direct TV. It is SD. At the time we purchased ours (last year), the HD required a mounted antenna and was much more expensive. We have Direct TV at home so we just bring our HDDVR from home and it gives us our local (home) network programming and anything we recorded on the DVR. Very convenient for keeping up with the Giants while on the road in the summer
Old 07-06-2017, 02:03 AM   #15

Model: Challenger LX
State: Colorado
THOR #3922
Direct TV on a tripod. I've camped in places where very few could get a signal (due to trees) and I've usually been able to find a signal. I bought my HD package through Oasis, but Direct TV has been very good with service. Wind blew over my dish one time, and another time kids knocked over the dish. Bent both times. Both times, Direct TV was there with a new dish. I use the Oasis Satellite detector (comes with the package) and in conjunction with Direct TV's software I'm usually set up in around 15 minutes.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:53 AM   #16

State: California
THOR #6557
We use Direct with full in motion antenna.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:13 AM   #17

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by j37genie View Post
Direct TV on a tripod. I've camped in places where very few could get a signal (due to trees) and I've usually been able to find a signal. I bought my HD package through Oasis, but Direct TV has been very good with service. Wind blew over my dish one time, and another time kids knocked over the dish. Bent both times. Both times, Direct TV was there with a new dish. I use the Oasis Satellite detector (comes with the package) and in conjunction with Direct TV's software I'm usually set up in around 15 minutes.
I been doing that way for 19 years. I use a modified Winegard tripod with a Slimline 2 reflector and 13LNB-SWM. For alignment, I use a Satlooklite signal meter which is programed only to lock-on to the 101 sat signal. I carry 200 ft of RG-6 coax as I like to park under trees when available. I use DirecTVs's video bridge with C-41W clients so all the TV are connected wireless. My mobley hotspot is connected to the system by a DECA.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:01 AM   #18
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
We have an Ace Thor class A and are trying to decide on roof satellite or portable? Pros and cons?
If you plan on visiting state parks or any other park with trees get the portable so you have the flexibility of moving it to an open area. If you are parked under trees you won't get a signal.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:12 AM   #19

THOR #8135
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
I have an older model DISH Tailgater and it only has one coax output, thus supports only one tv. I just viewed the KING Tailgater with two coax outputs which supports two tv's. The ** noted that the programming must be on and use the same satellite. Running around TX (Houston/Dallas), I usually get satellites 110, 119 and 129 or any combo of those. At times, I may not have all three and then lose certain channels. Something to consider.

Yes the one I have has two coax outputs I got the other TV in the bedroom working today after calling dish to reactivate it. We are a military family and still in Washington state we'll be traveling to South Carolina in about 3 weeks for across country! The satellite we pick up is 119 Also. Just trying to make sure the second TV will work when I go portable and place out out in an open area.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:16 AM   #20

THOR #8135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
If you plan on visiting state parks or any other park with trees get the portable so you have the flexibility of moving it to an open area. If you are parked under trees you won't get a signal.

This is Actually what happened to me this weekend we were at camping area for 3 days and I just so happen to be at a site under the trees..,no signal so I just pulled the portable off the roof and place it in the middle of the open field...bam! Signal and TV.