Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
THOR #1836
Satellite Dish

We have Directv in our home. Took the box from our home, bought a tripod that we use with a satellite dish. Haven't had any trouble, altho' it can be a bit tricky finding the satellite.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:55 PM   #22

Model: Challenger LX
State: Colorado
THOR #3922
I use the Universal satellite finder from Oasis. Under $10, and I'm usually up and running in under 10 minutes. And, although Oasis says it's not SWiM compatible, I've never had a problem using on my Direct TV SWiM unit.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:06 PM   #23

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Guess it depends on how simple you want to keep it. In my case, I have the Winegard direct TV satellite traveler, which is roof mounted, push one button once you are parked, it auto finds the three satellites required for HD, locks on, and its good to go. When leaving, again, push one button, it self parks on the roof and you are ready to roll.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:25 PM   #24

Model: Ace 29.2
State: Georgia
THOR #6481
The only way to get he with directv is with a full size dish rooftops are about $1800.00
Old 07-08-2017, 10:10 PM   #25

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Guess it depends on how simple you want to keep it. In my case, I have the Winegard direct TV satellite traveler, which is roof mounted, push one button once you are parked, it auto finds the three satellites required for HD, locks on, and its good to go. When leaving, again, push one button, it self parks on the roof and you are ready to roll.
X2. Several years ago when we first went full time with a fiver we decided we wanted (1) HD (2) find satellites automatically (3) easy set up/take down (4) no chance of theft. A few months ago we had our third Winegard Travler Direct-TV installed on the roof. Yes they are pricey, but so is buying and traveling in an RV. Like Laco stated, pull in to a site, push a button and within minutes you have all three signals locked in. Time to break camp, push a button and it stows itself in about a minute. We only bring one DVR box from home but we could have had it wired and brought all three.

I think it just boils down to how much camping you do and what type of camping you do. We rarely stay in State Parks but we do travel in our RV 4 to 5 months a year. In the last 5 years we have never been in a CG where we could not get a clear signal.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:21 PM   #26

Model: Windsport 35C
State: Wisconsin
THOR #7920
Post Satellite

Pros and cons to both, but recommend portable - NO additional hole through roof. I've used DirecTV and switched to Dish! DirecTV does not provide HD to portable systems! An installed unit such as mentioned on this thread will receive HD, but at a cost of approximately $1800 plus installation.

Have endured numerous frustrating conversations with DirecTV who often do not understand the nuances with RV systems. For example, virtually every time I moved from 1 location to another I would have to call 4-6 times before I spoke with someone who understood RV use and could help me reconnect.

Unlike a home-based setup where the equipment is given to you, in an RV you purchase the satellite dish and receiver(s). I purchased a Weingaard G2 at a cost of $600 and two receivers at $100 each from Camping World. DirecTV is still after me to return the equipment that I purchased to them. The G2 works with DirecTV (SD only), Dish HD or SD, Bell, and the Canadian provider (?); and, has two outputs to facilitate use of 2 TV simultaneously.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:26 PM   #27

THOR #6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by churd9 View Post
The only way to get he with directv is with a full size dish rooftops are about $1800.00

That'd HD not he
Old 07-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #28

THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefof View Post
Pros and cons to both, but recommend portable - NO additional hole through roof. I've used DirecTV and switched to Dish! DirecTV does not provide HD to portable systems! An installed unit such as mentioned on this thread will receive HD, but at a cost of approximately $1800 plus installation.

Have endured numerous frustrating conversations with DirecTV who often do not understand the nuances with RV systems. For example, virtually every time I moved from 1 location to another I would have to call 4-6 times before I spoke with someone who understood RV use and could help me reconnect.

Unlike a home-based setup where the equipment is given to you, in an RV you purchase the satellite dish and receiver(s). I purchased a Weingaard G2 at a cost of $600 and two receivers at $100 each from Camping World. DirecTV is still after me to return the equipment that I purchased to them. The G2 works with DirecTV (SD only), Dish HD or SD, Bell, and the Canadian provider (?); and, has two outputs to facilitate use of 2 TV simultaneously.
To be clear when discussing the pros and cons of roof mounted vs portable, and Direct-TV vs Dish, the above post may confuse things a little. With our roof mounted Direct-TV we were not required to buy any receivers. When the unit is installed you can have it installed for however many receiver you want. We decided we only wanted Direct-TV available on the living room and outside TV, so we bring one receiver from our home and it runs both TV's in the coach.

Also, when moving from spot to spot there is really not reason to call Direct-TV. When we were newbies we tired that a few times and it was a joke. The only reason you call is to change your location with them so you can get the local channels. We never call anymore because our roof top antenna generally gets the local channels in HD wherever we are camped anyway.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #29

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
I just went through this. Here is the easy mod to use your existing cable.
http://www.tv4rv.com/wiring.pdf
Old 07-09-2017, 11:25 PM   #30

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
We just leave the Direct box in the RV, I mean really, its like an additional $8.00 per month.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:57 PM   #31
mrw

Model: A.C.E. 29.3
State: West Virginia
THOR #4502
We use portable and bring my box from home. Use direct TV
Old 07-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #32

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Lots of advice, first Direct TV or dish. Then move forward. We have Direct TV at home so it was down to HD or not HD.

Portable dish can be moved around your campsite to get a good signal. Its cheaper to buy but its not HD unless you get a House like Sat dish (like the one mounted at your home) and aim it each time. Lots of the portable units are auto finding.

Roof mounted is expensive but all automatic and is HD. But you need a clear line of site to the south west when you get to your site.

KC
Old 07-11-2017, 12:19 AM   #33

Model: Challenger LX
State: Colorado
THOR #3922
We use the Direct TV box from home, and a portable tripod for our home dish. We get the HD channels, and I like the flexibility we have when camping in treed campsites. Never takes more than 10 minutes to set up and get on satellites using a cell phone compass and fine using using the Oasis satellite finder.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:38 AM   #34

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
Lots of advice, first Direct TV or dish. Then move forward. We have Direct TV at home so it was down to HD or not HD.

Portable dish can be moved around your campsite to get a good signal. Its cheaper to buy but its not HD unless you get a House like Sat dish (like the one mounted at your home) and aim it each time. Lots of the portable units are auto finding.

Roof mounted is expensive but all automatic and is HD. But you need a clear line of site to the south west when you get to your site.

KC
This is definitely Not true. With my DISH Trailblazer (portable) most of the channels are HD. It is automagic. Point it south and it locates the satellites. The only thing I need to do is call DISH and tell them where I am to get the local channels. Within 15 minutes, they are there.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #35

THOR #6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
This is definitely Not true. With my DISH Trailblazer (portable) most of the channels are HD. It is automagic. Point it south and it locates the satellites. The only thing I need to do is call DISH and tell them where I am to get the local channels. Within 15 minutes, they are there.

Directv uses more than one satellite to broadcast its channels because it has more channels in HD than DISH does . It uses only one to broadcast SD channels satellite 101. If you use one of the portable automatic units it locates satellite 101... both DISh and Directv locals channels are set by the box I prefer to watch the local channels from where I live not where I am at .if I won't to watch local I crank up the antenna.i use my box from home so o don't pay extra for my service...
Old 07-11-2017, 02:09 PM   #36

THOR #5246
Quote:
Now they will really be confused. Dish and Direct-TV are different in many ways. The most important of which is the fact that there is more of a variety of dishes available for Dish subscribers to be able to get HD channels. If you are a Direct-TV subscriber though and want to automatically find signals then you are very limited. You can have numerous dishes for Direct-TV if you don't care about not having HD and settle for SD channels.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #37

THOR #2628
Quote:
Please re read the post, I thought I was clear, Direct TV not Dish.

KC
Old 07-12-2017, 01:32 PM   #38

THOR #8066
Newbie here. We have a 2017 34.2 Miramar and I'm looking into taking Dish on the road with us.

Is it possible to place the receiver in the bay where the coax connection is? I know the receiver needs power to power the antenna. the signal would go to the receiver input and the output would be an HDMI to coax adapter to the coax coach connection?

Please excuse my ignorance. This stuff makes my brain hurt
Old 07-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #39

THOR #2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyP View Post
Newbie here. We have a 2017 34.2 Miramar and I'm looking into taking Dish on the road with us.

Is it possible to place the receiver in the bay where the coax connection is? I know the receiver needs power to power the antenna. the signal would go to the receiver input and the output would be an HDMI to coax adapter to the coax coach connection?

Please excuse my ignorance. This stuff makes my brain hurt
Your receiver from your house? I would say no, water is not going to go well with the receiver.

KC
Old 07-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #40

THOR #8066
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
Your receiver from your house? I would say no, water is not going to go well with the receiver.

KC
The receiver would only be in the bay while we are parked. I'm asking whether it would work to put the antenna and receiver before the coax connection for the coach.