Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Tennessee
THOR #1068
Satellite box hookup in 30.2 bunkhouse-------

I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to electronics if it doesn't have rabbit ears with tin foil.
Anyway, how the heck do I hook up my direct tv? I took off the wall cover with the green button & it has 3 cables attached, white, black & tan. There are also 2 HDMI cables. What do I hook up where to get satellite on all my TV's?
Thanks for any help.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #1001
Well,,,I guess you could say I'm just saying good luck. I'll be doing the same soon,with same coach,but I'm letting the dealer install it. I'm not veteranized enough to do my own yet.
I do think your two HDMIs are for your inside/outside tvs to hook up for DVDs.
Soooooo,
good luck. I truly hope you do well.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:45 PM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: California
THOR #892
The white cable is from the side of your rig (park input) The tan cable is from your antenna, and the black cable goes to a "splitter" to feed the TVs. To get satellite with the stock cabling: connect your satellite dish to the cable connector on the side of the rig; disconnect the white cable from the switch that you located and connect that cable to your satellite receiver; if your satellite receiver has 2 HDMI outputs, connect the HDMI cables to those. You now should have satellite to 2 TVs and over the air to all TVs. You will have to move the (white) cable back to the switch plate to get "park" cable. Without re-wiring and adding a video switch, that is about the best you can do...
Old 03-01-2016, 10:26 PM   #4

THOR #3752
Thanks for the explanation, I have two further questions you may know the answer to. First, where is the access location for these cables you are talking about? Second, do you know if the entertainment center in the center console connects to any of the tvs? The reason I ask is there is a dvd player in it and it would be nice to display this on the other tvs. The entertainment center i'm talking about is the axxtera system in the new 2016 ACE models. Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:46 PM   #5

THOR #892
Quote:
Originally Posted by tareeves2 View Post
Thanks for the explanation, I have two further questions you may know the answer to. First, where is the access location for these cables you are talking about? Second, do you know if the entertainment center in the center console connects to any of the tvs? The reason I ask is there is a dvd player in it and it would be nice to display this on the other tvs. The entertainment center i'm talking about is the axxtera system in the new 2016 ACE models. Thanks again for the help.
Locate the antenna booster, the cables will be accessible behind that switch, on your other questions, I can't be of any help.
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:35 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Not sure about the ACE but on my Challenger the Axxerra is not connected to any of the televisions. I have a separate DVD player that connects to all three televisions by way of an HDMI A/V switch. The HDMI switch allows for 2 inputs (DVD and game console or iPad) and three outputs (two televisions inside and one outside). This is the standard AV setup on the Challenger 37ND. I did swap out the stock DVD player for an older Blu-ray I had in the house and will swap that out for a wireless Blu-ray sometime this year.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:56 AM   #7

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #1001
your new unit must be somewhat different than our 2015.We dont really have an entertainment system. There is a large flat screen over the dinette,and a booster switch in the cabinet over the couch. Our satellite system has one receiver in the cabinet,and one in the bedroom. The other TVs are on the air antenna ,or cable. I can switch HDMIs in the cabinet for inside or out. The satellite system is still pretty new for us,so still getting used to it.I wish the inside main tv had DVD.I'm going to install a splitter to for a DVD unit to swith from satellite. I hope this helps somehow.
Timr
Old 10-22-2017, 11:59 PM   #8

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachk View Post
I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to electronics if it doesn't have rabbit ears with tin foil.
Anyway, how the heck do I hook up my direct tv? I took off the wall cover with the green button & it has 3 cables attached, white, black & tan. There are also 2 HDMI cables. What do I hook up where to get satellite on all my TV's?
Thanks for any help.
Where did you find that wall cover and what does it look like? My ACE 30.3 has a box with a green light (that is on) and a coax connector labeled TV (nothing hooked to it on the visible side). Right beside the green light are two very small raised places that say "on" and "off." I have not figured out what this does and have not removed the cover to see what is on the other side. It is located in the same cabinet as the DVD player, just above the microwave.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivraton View Post
Locate the antenna booster, the cables will be accessible behind that switch, on your other questions, I can't be of any help.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:07 AM   #9

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by timr View Post
your new unit must be somewhat different than our 2015.We dont really have an entertainment system. There is a large flat screen over the dinette,and a booster switch in the cabinet over the couch. Our satellite system has one receiver in the cabinet,and one in the bedroom. The other TVs are on the air antenna ,or cable. I can switch HDMIs in the cabinet for inside or out. The satellite system is still pretty new for us,so still getting used to it.I wish the inside main tv had DVD.I'm going to install a splitter to for a DVD unit to swith from satellite. I hope this helps somehow.
Timr
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0573.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	7443
Here is a picture of that cover. I can see the details a little better when I zoom the picture it is almost impossible to see it in any detail inside the cabinet.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-23-2017, 01:48 AM   #10

THOR #892
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
Attachment 7443
Here is a picture of that cover. I can see the details a little better when I zoom the picture it is almost impossible to see it in any detail inside the cabinet.
That is the antenna booster, the button is the on / off switch, the cable connections are on the back of that plate
Old 10-23-2017, 02:09 AM   #11

THOR #8503
Ok. I was hoping that was what it was. If I hook my satellite dish to the outside coax connector and hook my satellite receiver to this, turn the amplifier off, and then run my HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV, will I then get a satellite signal to my TV?
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-23-2017, 04:17 AM   #12

THOR #892
Quote:
Ok. I was hoping that was what it was. If I hook my satellite dish to the outside coax connector and hook my satellite receiver to this, turn the amplifier off, and then run my HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV, will I then get a satellite signal to my TV?
Mine would not work that way, The receiver feeds 12v to the dish via the coax, on my unit it could not feed through the circuitry in the booster. I had to install a pass thru splitter
and wire it in like this:
Drill a 3/8" hole on the wall plate and installed these: (Bulkhead connector)
ends up looking like this:
I also route the bedroom TV to the plate so I could use a BOMB to route various components to both TVs (I only have 2 TVs, if you have an outside TV, you'll need to add that one in as well)
NOW, if you never plan on using the park TV feed, you can just hook the coax from the side of you coach straight to your satellite box an forget about all of the above...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6a6c7116-f439-45aa-97de-1969c97342c4.jpg
Views:	2277
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	7446   Click image for larger version

Name:	TypeFbulkhead.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	7447  

Name:	Cablingsm.jpg
Views:	864
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	7448  
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #13

THOR #8503
OK. Thank you. Looks like I know what I'll spend a day doing this week after a trip to the hardware store. We are taking about a four day trip next week and I hope to get all this working before we go. Next big decision is that, this coming weekend we are supposed to have overnight lows of 30-33 degrees. Trying to figure if I need to drain everything Thursday and then refill water just before we leave Monday morning. Never had an idea how much fun time I can have with this thing.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #14

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Here's the easy way. Did mine, works perfect.

http://www.tv4rv.com/wiring.pdf
Old 10-23-2017, 02:24 PM   #15

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post

Thanks Hittntheroad.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #16

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
... Next big decision is that, this coming weekend we are supposed to have overnight lows of 30-33 degrees. Trying to figure if I need to drain everything Thursday and then refill water just before we leave Monday morning. Never had an idea how much fun time I can have with this thing.
Wouldn't an electric space heater near your fresh tank (bedroom?) keep it warm enough? I've not had to deal with this yet but it seems okay for short term. There are heating pads/panels available, I found this: UltraHeat RV Tank Heaters
Old 10-24-2017, 10:55 PM   #17

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post

Hittntheroad, am I missing something or does this only provide satellite/cable to the bedroom? I want it routed to the receiver in the kitchen. I guess it's just a matter of finding the right coax for the kitchen and hook it up where these pictures show "output to bedroom?"
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-25-2017, 12:25 AM   #18

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
Hittntheroad, am I missing something or does this only provide satellite/cable to the bedroom? I want it routed to the receiver in the kitchen. I guess it's just a matter of finding the right coax for the kitchen and hook it up where these pictures show "output to bedroom?"
My dish box requires an HDMI cable to send the signal to the tv.
I hook my sat box to my main tv and wirelessly send the signal to my bedroom so we can watch tv while in the bedroom.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:43 AM   #19

THOR #8503
I have to use HDMI between the Dish box and the TV, too. I'm just trying to figure where on the wallplate to attach the coax to run to the receiver. I would like to place the receiver in the cabinet where that wallplate is located and then run the HDMI from there to the main TV down through the wall and under the kitchen counters. The TV retracts into the counter and if the receiver is on the counter, it has to be unhooked from the TV before it is retracted or you would cut the cables in two.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-25-2017, 03:27 PM   #20

THOR #8503
A quick question here. As a test, if I hook my satellite dish to the outside cable outlet and then unhook the cable coming from the outside coax connection from where it connects to the amplifier wallplate and connect a piece of cable between it and my receiver, shoudn't I have satellite? I would think that would achieve the same purpose as the rewiring just to do a check.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704