Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2017, 11:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Water in outside dry storage

Got a 2016, 25.2 VEGAS and found water and condensation in outside dry storage compartment on outside just behind the entry door (under kitchen sink)

Looked under coach at the sides and bottom of the compartment and seemed dry, area under sink seemed dry

Anyone else have this issue?

Any idea where the water is coming from?

Old 05-31-2017, 02:58 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I have had form time to time some moisture in mine...not a vegas but likely similar construction

mine has the quarter turn locks and thumb latches.

I had my daughter climb in one of the larger compartments with a flashlight while I hosed it and she found that it leaks through the latches.... through the actual bearing or mechanism itself, not from the outer "gasket". they are not weatherproof latches.

I don't find that it happens very often so I open them up when I can to let things air out. so far ok
Old 05-31-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I have the slam shut latches on my Challenger and this trip I had rain get in between the layers of the outdoor kitchen door. Found the problem when I opened the kitchen and had water run over my head and back. I assumed (can be a bad thing to do) that the rain was getting in around the outside seal (if there is one) for the latch but now I'll have to look at the entire latch itself. This only happened when we got some driving rain that could be measured in buckets per hour rather than inches per hour. I also had rain get into the storage compartment in front of the outdoor kitchen. That looks like the rain got past the interior seal and that storage compartment is the only one with a drain plug installed.

Two additional items on the "To Do" list when we get back home this weekend. I believe I'll also order drain plugs for installation in all of the other compartments.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:18 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Hmmm, Shouldn't need drains in the compartments, who wants wet contents? Its not that difficult to keep water out of those compartments, unless you are submerged. Weather and water resistant compartments that stay dry have been built for years, and these can and should be fixable!
Old 06-01-2017, 02:22 PM   #5

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Challenger with slam latches. So far I have resolved ALL leaks by properly sealing the gasket joint. The rubber seal has a joint. Not sure why but on some of our doors the seam adhesive failed or was broken during installation. Water ran down the outside of the gasket as it should, until it reached the joint were it ran inside the gasket to the bottom. There are small holes in the gasket to release air when the gasket compresses during closing. Water built up inside the gasket and eventually runs out the holes and into the compartment. I solved all leaks by sealing the joint with some liquid rubber used to seal electrical connection. Available at Home Depot electrical dept.