Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2019, 05:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Wisconsin
THOR #10194
satellite signal to all tvs

Just wondering if anyone has found a way to get satellite signal to all TVs using existing coax that runs through RV. My satellite receiver only has HDMI or composite output does not have coax output so I can only get signal to one TV. I purchased a HDMI to coax cable modulator from radio shack (has the 3 or 4 channel selector) but couldn't get signal to the TVs. Hoping someone has figured this out.

Thanks
Bob

Old 06-24-2019, 05:11 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
(I'm sorry that I'm asking such a stupid question... )
Have you scanned for the available channels at all of your Televisions?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:17 PM   #3

THOR #10194
Yes I tried using both channel 3 and 4 selectors using over the air and cable but nothing. I still get a signal using only HDMI to one TV so just not able to convert the signal to go through coax cable.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:18 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
typically, an incoming SAT tv signal only applies to a single RECEIVER, which then processes the signal and sends it to a TV, or even several TVs IF the receiver has a 'tv out' coax output, though that signal will only be the 'mirror' image of what the Main tv is seeing, and in SD only.

Only a RECEIVER can provide a signal output to a TV, typically you'll need one per TV, and since the Antenna can usually only provide a single output, if it is the 'portable' dome type antenna, it will only drive a signal receiver/tv. The 'home type' manual open-faced antennas can drive up the THREE receivers.

Your viewing options are going to depend on the type of ANTENNA you have, and the type and how many RECEIVERS you have.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:22 PM   #5

THOR #4735
this can all be somewhat confusing to newbies since the RV may 'seem' to be able to just send a signal, whether cable, DVD, antenna, or SAT, to multiple TVs, yet you can't get the SAT signal to do that... RECEIVERS have to be inline before EVERY TV for a SAT signal to get to the TV, unless, of course, your receiver has a 'tv output, which many do not.

What ANTENNA and RECEIVER do you have?
What RV Model and Year to you have?
Do you have a 'SAT IN' coax connection on the outside or in a bay?
Do you have a 'multi-box' in the living room cabinet where you 'select' what each TV is to watch?
Old 06-24-2019, 06:31 PM   #6

THOR #10194
I understand that all the TVs would have to watch the same channel but would like to use the existing coax that goes to all TVs so we can watch the channel on any of our TVs without running HDMI cable to the one we want to watch.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:37 PM   #7

THOR #10194
I'm just wanting to split the signal to multiple TVs hoping there was an adapter to convert the signal to the coax so I can split but doesn't sound like that's able to be done.
Thanks
Bob
Old 06-24-2019, 06:39 PM   #8

THOR #4735
Since the more normal output of Receivers are HDMI now a days, it's hard to 'share' that signal to other TVs without a good bit of work, such as an HDMI splitter, and a LOT of lengths of HDMI cable to each of the other TV locations - probably not something most folks want to tackle.
SAT is just not to the point where it's 'easy' to just mirror it's output to a lot of other TVs.

If you receiver has a coax 'tv out', then maybe, but if not, it's going to be a lot harder.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:06 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
What you need is called an RF modulator. It takes the HDMI Video signal and modulates it to a standard TV channel 3 or 4 signal. Then you would have to inject that signal to the "cable input" coax of your RV which would then get it to the TVs on channel 3 or 4 (whichever it was modulated to). Your resolution will probably only be 240P because we are talking about 70's technology here.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:38 PM   #10

THOR #10194
I did get an rf modulator but when I scan on the tv it's not being found I'm thinking these TVs won't accept vhf signal which is what I believe the rf modulator converts it to.
Thanks
Old 06-24-2019, 09:03 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawbs1 View Post
I did get an rf modulator but when I scan on the tv it's not being found I'm thinking these TVs won't accept vhf signal which is what I believe the rf modulator converts it to.
Thanks
You have to KNOW what the RF modulator does
Most likely it is converting it to an Analog signal on channel 3 or 4
If your TV(s) won't tune to the same Analog channel then it will not work
and
the power injector to the TV antenna amplifier has to be OFF in this case.

I would try a straight piece of coax from the modulator to a single TV first to see if that works.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:10 PM   #12

THOR #10194
that's all I've done is try to get one tv to work but not happening.
Thanks
Old 06-24-2019, 09:18 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
What RF modulator do you have? The other problem is; if it's a modern box like this:

https://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/...irect-product#

that converts it to an ATSC QAM signal AND you have the Seiki TVs that do not have a QAM tuner then it will not work just like you can't decode digital CableTV signals in the RV park with the Seikis with no QAM tuner.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:50 PM   #14

THOR #10194
The modulator I have converts to a VHF analog and I'm assuming it's the ATSC tuner to receive over the air digital signal in these TVs that won't allow the analog signal.
I know what I have tried does not work.
I would like to know what others have done to get their satellite signal to more than one TV?
Old 06-24-2019, 09:55 PM   #15
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
The modulator I have converts to a VHF analog and I'm assuming it's the ATSC tuner to receive over the air digital signal in these TVs that won't allow the analog signal.
I know what I have tried does not work.
I would like to know what others have done to get their satellite signal to more than one TV?
Yep, ATSC is digital, NTSC is analog. Does your TV have an NTSC tuner?
Old 06-25-2019, 12:47 AM   #16

Model: Quantum RW28
THOR #15031
I use two sets of these units, https://www.actiontec.com/products/h...tv2tx-mwtv2rx/
The hdmi loops out of the first into the second unit which is connected to a second tv. You could loop out of the second unit direct into a third tv but all three tvs will have the same content.

Jeff
Old 06-25-2019, 02:05 AM   #17

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Just wondering if anyone has found a way to get satellite signal to all TVs using existing coax that runs through RV. My satellite receiver only has HDMI or composite output does not have coax output so I can only get signal to one TV. I purchased a HDMI to coax cable modulator from radio shack (has the 3 or 4 channel selector) but couldn't get signal to the TVs. Hoping someone has figured this out.
Thanks
Bob
I called Thor Customer service with the same question. Their recommendation was go wireless. I called DirecTV and ask if they could supply me with what I needed. Their answer was the would supply the wireless video bridge and one wireless client (C-41W), but I would have to pay $99 for the second client. I decided two TVs at one time was enough for two people. The system has worked perfectly for three years. If I want to watch the outside TV, I just swap HDMI cables for the main TV to the outside TV. The bedroom TV was claimed by the DW.

With DirecTV there are 9 to 21 different channels on the coax and you can use a splitter to route the signals to the TV, but you will need a client to decode and control the channels on the coax. Of course, if your TVs are RVU equipped you do not need a client.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:19 PM   #18

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
..."With DirecTV there are 9 to 21 different channels on the coax and you can use a splitter to route the signals to the TV, but you will need a client to decode and control the channels on the coax. Of course, if your TVs are RVU equipped you do not need a client"...

I wish I understood all this stuff. I would sign up for DirectTV and get the portable dish, but I don't want the "client" sleeping on my sofa. Does anyone have a 2nd Grade level drawing of how all this hooks up? Every time I start into this purchase, people start taking in abbreviated letter language and I give up again. I would love to have a system I can use with the MH and at my house in PCB...moving it back and forth as I wish. BACKGROUND: I grew up with a portable, black & white TV rolling around on a cart from room to room. We only had one TV. Channels were 2, 5 & 11....only.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:24 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
A client (mini genie) is simply a mico computer that sends messages to the main receiver and receives signals from receiver. It a is a small box 4"x6"x1" that needs 120 volt power, a coax input or wireless antenna and has a HDMI output. It take directions from the standard DirecTV remote which is slaved to only one client.

Here is the way the DirecTV system works. The heart of the system is the low noise block down-converter (LNB) in the center of the antenna (dish). It divides the frequencies on the coax into blocks called channels and takes the satellite signals in the upper and lower K band frequencies (gigahertz frequencies) and converts them into megahertz frequencies than can be transmitted on a coax. There is a single wire multi-switch (SWM) coax that carries the signals to a receiver. The receiver manages what is carried on each of the channels of the LNB. Small receivers (genies) can handle 5 separate HD channels down for the satellite while decoding and transmitting three separate channels to the clients either wirelessly or by coax. Newer receivers (HS-17 or genie 2) can handle 7 channels down and transmit to 5 different clients (2 can be 4K). You can break into the coax at any point with a green label splitter and tap into the data streams. The data streams go directly to a RVU TV set or to a client (mini-genie).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:20 PM   #20

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Jim...that's exactly what I was fixing to say!! So...where do you plug it in?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote