Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2015, 02:55 PM   #1

Brand: Crossroads
State: Ontario
THOR #2967
Schwintek slide out system

Based on what I've seen on the internet I'm not the only one that has had this problem. The slide out system quit working. My trailer ,a Crossroads sunset reserve 32rl, has been in the shop for almost 3 weeks. Service Center is having trouble getting parts from Lippert. I have 2 questions.
I would like to get in touch with the CEO of thor. I've noticed on some of the websites that an email address for him has been given out. Does anyone have this address.
2nd question has anyone retrofitted a different slide out system replacing the schwintek. Trailer is a 2014 crossroads sunset reserve 32rl. It was used only 4 times when I bought it in June of this year. Would like to understand from Thor why they feel no obligation to fix this

Old 10-01-2015, 05:27 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
It sounds lie the unit is out of warranty.

Thor is not the only RV company that uses Lippert Schwintek slide mechanisms.

While your issue is very unfortunate, and also very common, it's not really a PR nightmare or life risking failure for Thor. And, that's why it's not really simple to contact the CEO of any company. What's really important for you, is not such a big deal at the C-Level of a large corporation.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Gordon,

Unfortunately, based on your post, you purchased the Travel Trailer used and Thor's warranty is generally extends to the original purchaser and is not transferrable. As a general rule of thumb used units are no concern to Thor for any type of warranty work other than a potential safety recall.

Also, Thor also states in their warranty info that the Schwintek slides are warranted by Lippert Components.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:54 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
....cut....

Also, Thor also states in their warranty info that the Schwintek slides are warranted by Lippert Components.
I find that statement disappointing.

If these kinds of repeating threads about slide problems wasn't enough to convince me to avoid them, your statement above pretty much cemented my objections.

So basically if a slide starts having problems (possibly due to incorrect equipment selection, design, and/or installation) the owner could get bounced around between Thor and Lippert?

This must be another of those issues that falls under "it's OK because that's the way everyone in the industry does it". And that's perfectly acceptable because nobody is forcing anyone to accept the Terms and Conditions, or to buy an RV at all.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:58 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
I have three slides on my fifth wheel I will have it eight years next month out about every three weeks all year and several six to eight week trips never a problem have put about 75K on the unit
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:13 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
So basically if a slide starts having problems (possibly due to incorrect equipment selection, design, and/or installation) the owner could get bounced around between Thor and Lippert?
Its the same way for every piece of equipment installed in an RV. Something goes wrong with the microwave? talk to the microwave manufacturer? Water pump goes bad? Talk to the water pump company. Radio not working? Talk to Jensen or Axxera. On an on..

It is why Thor gives you the build sheet with all the product #'s and serial #'s for each item installed in the RV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
This must be another of those issues that falls under "it's OK because that's the way everyone in the industry does it". And that's perfectly acceptable because nobody is forcing anyone to accept the Terms and Conditions, or to buy an RV at all.
Yup that is the way its been done.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

Actually, shouldn't be bounced around because Thor told you, in writing, to call Lippert.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-01-2015, 09:16 PM   #8

THOR #2121
Quote:
Actually, shouldn't be bounced around because Thor told you, in writing, to call Lippert.
Shouldn't and won't are not the same.

And if written documents solved all disagreements we wouldn't need so many attorneys.

I don't see warranty issues working out as simply as you do. Besides, if it was that simple and streamlined a process, then why are there so many unhappy owners until they get everything fixed?
Old 10-01-2015, 10:29 PM   #9

Model: Aria 3901
State: New Mexico
THOR #2538
Gordon,

Sorry to here you're having slide problems. I've also had several problems with my slides. Still waiting for the repair payment to be sent 2 me. 7 weeks and counting. Best of luck.

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:56 AM   #10

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
Hey nmrver, How does that 5-star tuner work for your V-10? I have 2014 Vegas, and tho the power and mileage is pretty good, I get about 9-10 mpg, but would like a little better.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:01 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Shouldn't and won't are not the same.

And if written documents solved all disagreements we wouldn't need so many attorneys.

I don't see warranty issues working out as simply as you do. Besides, if it was that simple and streamlined a process, then why are there so many unhappy owners until they get everything fixed?
FWIW, the way the warranty is written, Thor did me a favor.

The Thor dealer is 100 miles from the house. Within a 25 mile radius I have authorized service centers/dealers for Ford, Axerra, Lippert, Carefree, Attwood and Whirlpool. The Attwood, Lippert and Carefree service center is an authorized high end (Prevost, Newell and Integra) service only center about 6 miles from my house.

I like having options for whom I obtain service and the system employed by Thor allows me to exercise those options and to avoid the middle man (Thor themselves and their dealers).

Point in case, my dealer is not an authorized Whirlpool service center so how long would it take to get the MW or fridge repaired? If my refrigerator or microwave go out Whirlpool will come to the house. Gee, hard decision 3 weeks at the dealer or 24 hours at the house.

I'm out of this thread.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-02-2015, 05:23 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
I'm out of this thread.
I thought I heard a microphone go thump, (with a little amplifier feedback)!
Old 10-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
....cut....

Yup that is the way its been done.
And apparently that's the way some want it to remain.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #14

Model: 42WX
State: Florida
THOR #2610
Well, I have read enough about Schwintek Lippert slides to know that any future rig I buy will not have them. We own a 2014 Thor Tuscany and have been in the shop now going on 4 weeks. We brought it in for annual maintenance and had a small slid problem with the bedroom slide which was fixed quickly. However, while there, the kitchen slide failed. They are going to have to remove the entire slide (frig, microwave, dishwasher, etc,..) and replace a boat-load of parts. Thank goodness Thor did overnight a box the size of a car with needed parts. It is quite disappointing to know that these slides are crap. As soon as possible, we will be looking for something else that does not have Schwintek slides. We are full timers and love the layout of our 42WX, but, enough is enough.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:44 AM   #15

State: North Carolina
THOR #894
The large slide out on our Tuscany wasn't coming in correctly to the point that it was hitting the side of the motorhome and knocking the paint off. It took a year and a half to get it fixed. After a year and half they decided to send out a technician and the only thing that they did was move the trim piece on the motorhome down so that it wouldn't hit it anymore. Oh and it was painted 3 times in a year and a half. We have owned this motorhome for 2 years and have been able to use it 20% and the other 80% it has spent in the repair shop. Oh and now the glue has leaked through the ceiling and our ceiling has pink marks. We will never buy a Thor product again.