Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2016, 03:41 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #3710
Dewinterize Axis in Michigan

Yeah....took delivery of our new Thor Axis 😊...shakedown overnite camping trip to nearby state park...so far so good...found several small problems but nothing major so far...only drove it 80 miles ...it was VERY cold...we haven't dewinterized yet and wondering when is it usually safe in southeast lower Michigan to do this...I know our weather is fickle but anxious to try all systems...beds super comfy...heat worked great...tons of storage...thanks again Ed for your manual and predilivery checklist...was invaluable!!!! Excited about this summer's adventures 🌲🌲🌲

Old 03-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
My rule of thumb for dewinterizing in SE Michigan has been: I wait until we've had at least a weeks worth of overnight lows above freezing and the 10 day forecast does not include any below freezing temps in it.

Which means this weekend and next weekend are out due to the freezing temps forecast for this weekend.

I had good luck following this rule with our previous campers, but since we've done some "winter" camping in the Axis (e.g. driving it to FL in December) I now simply just wait until just prior to our first camping trip. Thus I won't dewinterize until mid April or so and will do so the day before we leave for our first weekend camping trip (which usually is a short spring shakedown trip to someplace near by like Frankenmuth).

The water system in the Axis is so "small" that it really only takes 10-20 minutes to dewinterize (sanitizing does add a bit to that time though).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:29 PM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
A short overnight dip into freezing isn't likely to do any damage. As JamieGeek said, not hard (or expensive) to winterize again, should the temps take a turn towards a hard freeze. Don't let this stop you from enjoying your rig!
Old 03-31-2016, 01:07 AM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
My rule of thumb for dewinterizing in SE Michigan has been: I wait until we've had at least a weeks worth of overnight lows above freezing and the 10 day forecast does not include any below freezing temps in it.

Which means this weekend and next weekend are out due to the freezing temps forecast for this weekend.
Say it ain't so... they are saying 60 degrees tomorrow... and then freezing over the weekend? I should have stayed in FL longer... lol...
Guess I'll be blowing out the lines before the weekend just to be safe.

With our disappearing act the last two winters (heading south) - I've de-winterized/winterized in route most times... Once far enough south on way down - and before getting too cold on way back... Thought I had escaped doing it this year - but doesn't seem like it now.

I've done both adding antifreeze (two gallons does mine) - and blowing out lines with regulated compressor (still some anti-freeze in the drains - but only takes one gallon instead of two...)
Either way its a 10 minute job in either direction once you've done it a couple of times.

So if you get a nice weekend - don't be afraid to use it - and winterize again if its getting cold...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote