Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2021, 03:49 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_340 View Post
I just sold my 2019 Four Winds 24BL (Sprinter chassis). I put it on FB market place last Friday at 2200 and I had a commitment 20 minutes later....the general manger of a Mercedes dealership contacted me. He wanted me to bring it to him the day but I told him it has to be Monday. Unloaded my RV, gave it a good cleaning and took it there Monday. They had a check waiting for me and one to pay off my loan. I got 2K more for it then what I paid a year ago.

For me selling worked out well, especially because they had the resources to buy on the spot.

The flipside of the coin is when you sell to a private individual because getting a loan for a RV from an individual is a royal PIA. I am going through this now and the requirements remind me of buying a house and I have excellent credit and a good down payment. I am happy the seller I am buying from is patient and cooperative as he has to do some things as well. I guess I was really ignorant when I thought it is similar to getting a car loan. It is nearly a two week process.

I assume if you consign the dealer will handle financing for a possible buyer.
Nice work. I did the same with my Thor Synergy on a Mercedes Chassis. I listed it for more than I paid for it new. Put it on Craig's List and it lasted a week and was gone. Buyer was a Harley Davidson dealership owner so we bargained for a sweet Harley Tri Glide and a big check. The rig was paid for so I handed over the title and dropped the check in the bank and put the Harley in the garage. 8 months later (last week) picked up a nice used Thor Tuscany 36MQ. Got a great price. It's all good. :-)

Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:16 PM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
And when you list on FB Marketplace be ready for all the crack pots that call. The DW has done that with a few things.
Actually, FB marketplace is a whole lot better then Craigslist and things sell quicker in my experience.

I never put my phone number in the ad and if a "crack pot" messages me and I see it's BS I just delete the conversation and block that individual.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:58 PM   #43

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Ohio
THOR #4541
As the OP i wanted to give a quick update. I walked away from the consignment arrangement because I just wasn't comfortable. Not to say that consignment is bad, it just wasn't for me and my situation. I decided to list it on RV Trader. Listed it last Saturday evening and by 10:00 am Sunday I had 7 leads. 4 of those leads turned into scheduled showings. Only did 1 showing and a recently retired couple put a deposit on it. Full price offer. Not a cash in the hand deal but very confident it will work out. Even talked to the bank they are using. I ended up canceling the other showings. I'm thinking consignment might be a good option in a slow or normal market, but sale by owner makes more sense in this market. I've had an additional 6 leads since the 1st showing. I'm sure that I could have listed it at a higher price but I listed it at a price I was happy with and a really nice recently retired couple is going to start their RV fun with a 5 year old ACE that has been well maintained and in great shape. Win/Win
Old 05-22-2021, 06:13 PM   #44
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations on finding the right people to baby your former Pride & Joy.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:33 PM   #45

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Well done. Congrats!
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:11 PM   #46

THOR #6280
Super Cool

Glad you were successful in selling.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:50 PM   #47

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Happy ending. Nicely done.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:17 PM   #48

Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
I very briefly looked into consignment/ Although it makes things a little easier it is a ripoff.

CW wanted to give me 62.5K for my RV and probably would have pocketed almost 20K.......no way. CW gets my business only when I buy parts online or my wife buys knick-knack stuff at their store.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:58 PM   #49

THOR #6280
Quote:
I very briefly looked into consignment/ Although it makes things a little easier it is a ripoff.

CW wanted to give me 62.5K for my RV and probably would have pocketed almost 20K.......no way. CW gets my business only when I buy parts online or my wife buys knick-knack stuff at their store.
Exactly right. RV dealers can be like Creepy Greasy Used Car lot Dealers. They want to make it on both ends. They'll get your new purchase and make $10,000 plus then Sell it for you later or worse yet take it in trade for $20,000 or more under the value.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:05 AM   #50

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:

That doesn’t sound like a consignment deal. It’s more like a sale to dealer deal. When I looked into consignment there was a fee of 10% of sale price. It seemed a pretty reasonable to me. They handle all the marketing and paperwork and are still motivated to sell for the best price they can.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:24 AM   #51

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:

If you had decided to purchase/upgrade to another rig, the $62.5 is basically trade-in credit to CW.
However, since they know they can flip it quickly, they offered quick cash instead of trade-in credit.
So I agree with Pete’sMH...technically it’s not a consignment sale.
Old 05-24-2021, 06:08 PM   #52

THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
That doesn’t sound like a consignment deal. It’s more like a sale to dealer deal. When I looked into consignment there was a fee of 10% of sale price. It seemed a pretty reasonable to me. They handle all the marketing and paperwork and are still motivated to sell for the best price they can.
Well I would never be ok with allowing anyone to sell my RV for $200,000 and pocket 10% or $20,000 profit for themselves. That's outrageous. For $10,000 I could run several TV commercials in the right markets. Same thing with Realtors. 5-7% of a $400,000 home sale they keep $28,000? That's crazy and they are not worth that much cash. Right now it's a sellers market in homes and RV's so sell it yourself in your own way and keep your hard earned cash.