Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
While I would really like to agree with you: the times are changing...

... and not for the better!

"Wide-Band" advertising opens you up to a MUCH larger audience; including some folks that you'd rather not have to entertain...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:55 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
first, if you use CL or any other 'localized' sells website or app, and you're concerned about security, then just don't list your physical address - your city only will work fine. Interested buyers will contact you and then you can go from there as to whether you feel comfortable giving your 'home' address.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it so much. Millions of folks have things in their yard for sale, with a sign by the street, or placed in their vehicle, and that doesn't make them uncomfortable - it's a must if you really want to sell it.

The other day, I looked up some campers on CL. I contacted several to come and see them in person. One owner had no problem giving the address, after all, if you want to sell something, you should let the person know WHERE it can be seen!
Another owner acted hesitant, as though he wouldn't provide the location 'until' I was a few minutes away. I asked how I could be a few minutes 'away' if I didn't yet know WHERE to go to see it! He still acted as if he didn't want someone to come to his home and 'steal' his camper, even though it's parked in front of his house with a FOR SALE sign on it!

I don't get the 'security' thing people are concerned with. Just because someone knows your 'address' where you have an RV for sale provides nothing more 'unsecure' than the the hundreds of people who drive by and see it parked there every day. Would you be hesitant if one of those folks stopped by to look at it?

Totally agree!! But, I don't think CL is a good option. If it isn't drawing the attention on the mega-RV sites, something isn't right. CL buyers are generally looking for something cheap or hard to find. If the price is right and the description is very accurate...someone will buy it, regardless of what it is. How is your pricing structure as compared to other like models or NADA Guidelines? Most things that don't sell are priced too high or the condition posted wasn't accurate. There is a "buyer" for everything...my wife proved that to me 25 years ago!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:40 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14384
The consignment on a dealers lot has an option that I didn't consider at the time.

Long story.
I tried selling my old tow vehicle, a Express 1 ton 12 person van, 5 years old, 75k miles, all options and in great shape. I was priced right at the bottom of all car value sites price for that vehicle in clean excellent condition @ 14.5k.

However several interested parties could not get financed because their bank or CU would only loan average condition if it wasn't from a dealer. My guess is the same thing may happen with RV's.

We also sold our RV (first), and in the end we got lucky and sold our 2 year old RV for Zero dollars, just had the new owners apply for a loan at our CU and it was theirs. We found the buyers on Facebook Marketplace.

BTW, I say lucky because we couldn't get anyone to give us more than 14k on it (we owed 21k).
Old 04-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by apr67 View Post

We also sold our RV (first), and in the end we got lucky and sold our 2 year old RV for Zero dollars, just had the new owners apply for a loan at our CU and it was theirs. We found the buyers on Facebook Marketplace.

BTW, I say lucky because we couldn't get anyone to give us more than 14k on it (we owed 21k).
We just ended-up trading our Outlaw in...
But we DID get $8,000 more than we paid for it...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:07 PM   #25

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by apr67 View Post
The consignment on a dealers lot has an option that I didn't consider at the time.

Long story.
I tried selling my old tow vehicle, a Express 1 ton 12 person van, 5 years old, 75k miles, all options and in great shape. I was priced right at the bottom of all car value sites price for that vehicle in clean excellent condition @ 14.5k.

However several interested parties could not get financed because their bank or CU would only loan average condition if it wasn't from a dealer. My guess is the same thing may happen with RV's.

Good points on Loan Value!! "It's almost the NADA Guideline For Non-Cash Buyers". For quick sale, start the sale price at loan value plus 10%.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:23 PM   #26

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
[QUOTE=TurnerFam;177587
I don't get the 'security' thing people are concerned with. Just because someone knows your 'address' where you have an RV for sale provides nothing more 'unsecure' than the the hundreds of people who drive by and see it parked there every day. Would you be hesitant if one of those folks stopped by to look at it?[/QUOTE]

We live on a dead end road and it's pretty private. Not much traffic and not really that easy to see it from the road. I may be a little overly cautious, but I want the first meeting at a public place.

I did end up listing on CL and that brings me to another question, I have a email that has my address at "TO: 12ea1a5a" (has more letters and numbers in the address) then the sender says he is having trouble with the mail going through CL and ask me to e-mail him at his address. to me it sounds like the start of a scam, but since I'm new to CL I really don't know. So, scam or legit?

I do have it listed just few hundred $'s under what NADA says is the average selling price, but I do have over $3000 in add on's, such as Magne Shades, Reay Trac bar, 5 Star Tuning, Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X Surge Protector, etc.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:48 PM   #27

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippytwo View Post
We live on a dead end road and it's pretty private. Not much traffic and not really that easy to see it from the road. I may be a little overly cautious, but I want the first meeting at a public place.

I did end up listing on CL and that brings me to another question, I have a email that has my address at "TO: 12ea1a5a" (has more letters and numbers in the address) then the sender says he is having trouble with the mail going through CL and ask me to e-mail him at his address. to me it sounds like the start of a scam, but since I'm new to CL I really don't know. So, scam or legit?

I do have it listed just few hundred $'s under what NADA says is the average selling price, but I do have over $3000 in add on's, such as Magne Shades, Reay Trac bar, 5 Star Tuning, Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X Surge Protector, etc.

I've sold a ton of stuff, including vehicles, on CL and never had any issues. You have to be very specific in your description and mode of approved communication. I always spell out my phone number (Six, 7, 8, four, Two....etc.) and always include this line: "Do not email me asking if this item is still for sale. If you're reading this AD, it is STILL AVAILABLE. Call instead of email as this is the most direct contact. Spammers, thanks but I do not need your assistance selling this item". This will eliminate the spammers for the most part. If you get those emails or texts, just delete them. Buyers from afar are a scam. If I don't talk to a real person and have the chance to qualify them as such, I do not respond to them. You will get responses asking you to send info to another email...don't bother with them..it's a scammer. A real buyer will call you on the phone.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #28

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
CL is a very good email relay to keep your identity somewhat hidden if you choose the email contact only option in your listing. It's very simple ... if you got the email then the person or robot on the other end had no trouble with mail going through CL. So, yes, your description sounds like just one of many scam or fishing tactics that are best left ignored. If a person is real and interested, they would provide enough information to let you know they are legit.

If you provide a phone number, be prepared for many calls to help you sell etc... but also understand that many sell listings are just scams too, and one of the indicators for those is a listing that doesn't provide a phone number as contact double edge sword