Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2015, 07:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #2606
Setup for Dish on 2016 ACE29.2

We're looking for instructions to connect our new Dish Winegard Pathway X2 to our 2016 ACE.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 40RX
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1567
With all the RVs I've ever owned, I've never found one that was "satellite" friendly...even a 5th wheel that was advertised as "Satellite Ready". Even the 5th wheel involved some convoluted re-wiring of the cable/OTA wiring in order to utilize the cable connector in the bay...that worked, but, then it disabled the use of the park cable. There are times when I utilize both...if I want to record something while watching another show, I'll use the satellite system to do the recording while I'm watching the cable's television stations. I digress.

Even if your coach is "setup" for satellite, it most likely is not set up for a portable satellite antenna, most likely it is set up for a permanently installed roof top antenna. My coach has an InMotion satellite dish, but, I still carry my X2 portable for when trees become an issue. With the RVs I've owned, I've always, for ease of use, wound up putting a through-the-wall coax connector in, located near the satellite receiver. Pull in, set out the X2, plug it into the through-the-wall connector and I'm good to go. I put in a through-the-wall connector along with an A-B switch in this coach. The roof top satellite antenna runs to "A" and the through-the-wall connector, for my X2, is attached to "B".

If you don't want to install a through-the-wall connector for the coax, you can get one of those flat coax pieces and run through the window, with the flat portion allowing the window and screen to "mostly" close. I did that for a while before I decided that it would be much easier to install the through-the-wall connector... Either process will work. As for trying to use the park cable connector...? 99.8% of the time, that won't work as the cables inside the coach from that connector are also connected to the OTA antenna and its associated amplifier. Even with the amplifier "off" for using the park cable, the signal still goes through the amplifier and that amplifier is a one-way system and your satellite receiver requires two-way communication in order to work. The through-the-wall coax connector is the simplest solution and allows you to watch the satellite, the park cable or the OTA signals without a lot of hoop jumping to do it.

There are other more complex re-wiring schemes that will get you connected, but, the through-wall-connector is the simplest, lowest cost solution that doesn't require a degree in RF installations.

2014 Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I was able to get mine to work via the 'cable' connection on the outside of the MH but I had to remove the coax from the amplifier and run it to the Dish receiver. Then I run from the output of the receiver back to the amplifier. When I want to watch over the air I have the amplifier turned on. When I want to watch Dish I turn the amplifier off. It will not currently work with park cable because it runs through the Dish receiver. But a quick change would take care of that. Before making the change mine did work on park cable. I need to clean up the wiring a bit though since currently the amplifier is still hanging behind the TV.