Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2015, 12:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #2977
Angry Read Manual now I am lost

What is the first thing I should do when camping....is there a video I can watch on water propane generator....help

Old 10-02-2015, 01:19 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Park, plug in, grab a beer...

In all honesty there really isn't a first. You can setup in just about any order you want (and it depends on what kind of campsite you get).

Are you looking for short explanations for each system (e.g. what to do when?)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:40 AM   #3

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Florida
THOR #2162
+1 on the park, plug in and grab a beer... then do whatever comes to mind.. remember that you are not at work, so do what you want. Camping is supposed to be fun!
ipagan54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:39 AM   #4

THOR #2977
Lost after reading the book from Thor

Yes looking for explanation for all the systems
Old 10-02-2015, 02:49 AM   #5

Model: Tiffin Open Road 32SA
State: Colorado
THOR #1147
The following works for me, assuming full hook up.

1. City water - while my hands are clean. Spritz the hose bib with a 20% solution of bleach an water. Attach the pressure reducer. Attach a short bit of hose - 6". Attach the filter. Attach hoses as necessary to reach the city water inlet. Attach the 90 degree elbow. Attach the hose.

2. Electric. Make sure the breaker is off. Attach the cord to the breaker panel. Attach the cord to the coach. Throw the breaker. A power conditioner is planned for next season so that will add a step.

3. The sewer connection - fun. Put on rubber gloves. Attach at both ends. Set up the stinky slinky. Recheck both ends. Open the gray valve if we'll be staying a while. Remove rubber gloves.

4. Go inside. Wash hands.

5. Slide out.

6. Tv antenna up. Do the station search thing.

7. Open refrigerator. Select cider. Remove cap. Imbibe.

I run with the LP on to keep the frig cold. There are two schools of thought on this. I don't really like it, but find it necessary. I hope to add an inverter before next season too. If that happens, the gas on becomes the second step.

No real rhyme or reason other than it works for me. Oh, and because the sewer and LP are under the slide, so they get done with the slide in.

Regards,

Randy
Old 10-02-2015, 06:17 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
Like groswald (above) i follow his pattern, except that I run water through the hose and filter before hooking to the 90 degree elbow.
I also use a voltage tester and polarity tester before plugging the motorhome in.
Have fun!
Old 10-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #7

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Also select 110VAC for the water heater.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Once all is done and the awning is out, watch when you open the door as on the Vegas 24.1 the door over opens and bangs into the arm holding the awning. We have cut a 12" section of a pool noodle and as soon as we get extend the awning we place the noodle. I like the blue to help remind me to take it down (stands out when time to break camp).

There are postings of other places to use a noodle (corners of the slide extension) posted elsewhere.

20150613_164635_resized.jpg .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150613_164635_resized.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	868  

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:49 PM   #9

State: Tennessee
THOR #2898
Noodle is a great idea, we have same problem. Can also use pipe insulation you can get from hardware store.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #10

State: Tennessee
THOR #2898
After your grab your first beer, then read the manual. a lot of good information about holding tanks and electrical. Example: you should keep your holding tanks valves closed until ready to dump both the gray and black water. black water so the added chemical can dissolve the waste during your stay and when you dump you can chase/clean out the poop chute with a healthy supply of gray water before you have to flush with fresh water before storage.

Have fun, draining for the first time I found was not so bad and we just bought our RV a month ago. Rubber gloves a must, and I have a plastic container to hold Poop chute items, helps keep things isolated from the rest of the items.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:04 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
Have fun, draining for the first time I found was not so bad and we just bought our RV a month ago. Rubber gloves a must, and I have a plastic container to hold Poop chute items, helps keep things isolated from the rest of the items.
You can build a spot for your sewer hose on the Axis/Vegas units: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...-3-go-820.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:38 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
A couple of things I do a little differently and did not see mentioned

Park - Level as you park or level with jacks after. This must be done to ensure proper operation of the fridge and slide(s).

Electrical - I always use a surge protector. I plug the surge protector in the panel and turn on the breaker to determine if there are any problems with the service. My trip this past spring I was assigned a spot that had a bad neutral connection at the post and the campground corrected the issue before I connected the coach.

Sewer - After connecting I open the gray tank and keep it open until the night before departure.

My order is Park, level and then slides out. That way the other half is getting the interior situated while I am connecting the outside hookups.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #13

THOR #2601
Leveling - or being near level - is important for more than keeping you from rolling out of bed. The refrigerator operates more efficiently when level. And if you are way out of level - the refrigerator may not work at all. The positive side is that most RV parks with full hookup have pads that are pretty level.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 10-04-2015, 12:22 AM   #14

THOR #2977
Smile Great help

Thank You, for all the help
Old 10-06-2015, 12:39 AM   #15

THOR #2977
Would you purchase a extended warranty on a four winds 2015 and from what company? Is Good SAMs extended Warranty good ....we are not mechanically ...
Old 10-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #16
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If Camping World is the intended service center of choice I would not buy a Good Sam extended warranty on a bet. They are owned by the same parent company and to me that appears to be a conflict of interest. Camping World may find excuses why GS shouldn't pay for repairs.

Shop around. Rest assured, once you join Good Sam they will flood your mailbox with offers for everything.

My opinion.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:25 PM   #17

Model: Palazzo
THOR #2248
If you are considering an extended warranty, i.e. service contract, I suggest you call Wholesale Warranties at 800-939-2800,They are a broker and have access to different programs depending on what your needs are. Jeff Shelton is knowledgeable and I have used him for the last 3 coaches we have had.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:56 PM   #18

THOR #2977
Warranty

I am wondering what the cost that most people pay for 72 months or 50,000 miles....I was quote about 3300. For a 200 deductible....does that sound about normal for a 2015 22ft Motorhome? Need to make a decision soo. This is with wholesale warranty....
Thank yu
Old 10-18-2015, 10:25 PM   #19

THOR #2601
Collk- if you send me an email (bevedfelker@live.com) I'll forward you an owners manual and checklists I compiled from suggestions & tips on the forum.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 10-19-2015, 12:11 AM   #20

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Extended warranties were discussed in another thread on this forum, "Five Year Extended Warranties". Mixed opinions on them. You'll find folks who swear by them, and folks who swear at them. You must realize that the insurance companies make BIG profits on these contracts. Personally, my experience has been that you'll be better off putting that same money into a special repairs account. The exclusions and deductibles limit what you can collect. It's your money, use it wisely!