Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2020, 11:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Shotgun

Question. I have concealed carry in 31 states but since most of the New England states dont reciprocate legally cant stay in those states. Is there a source that confirms a pump action shotgun with a 18 barrel is legal without a license? I see conflicting information.

Thanks.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:15 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Question. I have concealed carry in 31 states but since most of the New England states dont reciprocate legally cant stay in those states. Is there a source that confirms a pump action shotgun with a 18 barrel is legal without a license? I see conflicting information.

Thanks.
Again, you're at state, county, municipality level rules.
Number of shells allowed in the magazine tube, transport law, felon in the car, felon in control, loaded, chambered, unloaded, unloaded with ammunition within reach, shell length, shell load,concealed, partially concealed, open carry.

Only ask in the municipality, the lowest level of government where you'll have the weapon.

Anything told here on this site, other than ask the specific municipality is localized and hearsay and a fine way to get a felony is to tell a young cop:

'a guy on the internet rv website from Alaska says you're wrong and I can do xyz in this Chicago precinct'

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:23 PM   #3

THOR #12830
Understood. Its why i asked if there was a source. I use one for concealed carry. CCW. Is there anything like it for shotguns/rifles? Cant conceivably check every municipality I’d venture into.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:54 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Never seen a need for a license for a shotgun/long rifle. There may be rules on how to carry/transport it but this has nothing to do with CCP for handguns.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:06 AM   #5

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Concealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Never seen a need for a license for a shotgun/long rifle. There may be rules on how to carry/transport it but this has nothing to do with CCP for handguns.
Agreed. Completely different when it comes to concealed laws.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:15 AM   #6

THOR #12830
I realize that. Again, was looking for confirmation good for all states that shotguns are legal. If im asked if guns onboard I’m not a good poker player. Am I arrested? Thought I’d try here. Stay safe.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:27 PM   #7

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
Shotguns and rifles are considered long guns. Most states allow a out of state person to purchase long guns in adjoining states. If you are allowed to purchase a long gun over the counter from an FFL in any state, you are allowed to possess it.

I would check with the states gun laws that you plan to visit. There are a few anti 2nd states but I'd figure that long guns would be exempt.

I've hunted in numerous states and have had to cross other numerous states to get to where I was going. I never gave it a second thought about being in possession of a high powered rifle or shotgun.

I used to shoot a lot of sporting clays and skeet. I've yet to hear of anyone shooting clays competition complaining of dragging a shotgun and ammo with them to other states.

But, as I said since you brought it up, check each states laws regarding long guns before you cross their state line.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:14 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Why not just check with the NRA? They know the rules!
Old 04-14-2020, 02:27 PM   #9

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
State and local law is the problem. The laws vary widely and it's almost necessary to contact each jurisdiction you plan to visit. For example Hawaii (I know- no bridge to there) requires that all firearms, working or not, be registered with the local sheriff within 3 days of your arrival.
NRA-ILA lists contacts for various States.
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...transportation
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:45 AM   #10

THOR #12830
Appreciate the info. Took a shot (pun intended) and was hoping that there was something similar to handguns like the CCW AP. Nearly impossible to check everywhere you go if your on the go often.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:25 AM   #11

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
Appreciate the info. Took a shot (pun intended) and was hoping that there was something similar to handguns like the CCW AP. Nearly impossible to check everywhere you go if your on the go often.
Looks like you have to check everywhere you go.
I have a CCW good in 37 states. I stay in MA in the summer where Mine is no good. The gun stays inside the trailer, loaded at arms reach. If I were to use it having a permit would be the least of my problems. Just carry your long guns unloaded.

It is unlawful to possess fi rearms in New York City without a possession permit issued by the Police Department.
All rif es and shotguns owned by a permit holder must be registered with the Police Department. There is no charge for registering
fi rearms. The registration of a rifl e or shotgun can be accomplished by fi lling out the registration form PD 641-121 and mailing the
two top copies (Green) to: License Division, Rifl e/Shotgun Section, Room B11, 120-55 Queens Blvd., Kew Gardens, N.Y. 114
Old 04-15-2020, 04:38 PM   #12

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Looks like you have to check everywhere you go.
I have a CCW good in 37 states. I stay in MA in the summer where Mine is no good. The gun stays inside the trailer, loaded at arms reach. If I were to use it having a permit would be the least of my problems. Just carry your long guns unloaded.

It is unlawful to possess fi rearms in New York City without a possession permit issued by the Police Department.
All rif es and shotguns owned by a permit holder must be registered with the Police Department. There is no charge for registering
fi rearms. The registration of a rifl e or shotgun can be accomplished by fi lling out the registration form PD 641-121 and mailing the
two top copies (Green) to: License Division, Rifl e/Shotgun Section, Room B11, 120-55 Queens Blvd., Kew Gardens, N.Y. 114
Well your not legal in Mass. Im legal in Mass and 30+ states but not NY. Laws are crazy.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:43 PM   #13

Model: ACE 27.2
State: California
THOR #17484
Owning, possessing, and TRANSPORTING all different issues and rules. I'm amazed to see folks on cop TV from other states transporting short or long guns in vehicles without being secured. We can transport in California but gun must be unloaded and in a locked box. Don't even think about Canada border crossing without detailed check of rules.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:16 PM   #14

Model: A.C.E. 30.3
THOR #12107
CCW/LTC only covers handguns, the license itself acts as an FID which allows you to TRANSPORT a rifle or shotgun in any of the 50 states but it must be secured in a way that meets state and local regulations.

I hope that explanation helps you. You can also go to USCCA.COM for more information.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:26 PM   #15

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
I keep a shotgun in the RV.

I learned a few years ago to “just say no” when asked firearms questions by officials. Learned from a Canadian border guard. (Thereby hangs a tale.)

The only time it will come up is if I have to use it. If so laws about it will be the least of my concerns. Hopefully never.

I have an Idaho advanced CWP. But it is just to ensure I don’t get tripped up by a law when having my handguns with. But I hardly ever bring them in the RV.

I do leave it home when going through Canada. Too cheap to pay the $25 permit fee.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:36 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We did a home defense study in College about a thousand years ago...
In a darkened room: we cycled the actions of various types of firearms.
The ONLY one that was recognized by everyone, and got the most emotional responses: The sound of a 12 gauge being racked ...

#9 shot, and improved cylinder choke (if any!): it'll minimize penetration of walls; yet leave a miscreant leaking from a whole lot of icky places!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:40 PM   #17

THOR #12107
USCCA.COM will give you the information you need to cross state lines. Some states require that you respond to an officer's query concerning fire arms, while others do not require any acknowledgement. Sad but true, which is why we need Constitutional Carry Nation Wide. No more guess work.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:46 PM   #18

THOR #12107
Guns in College?? Must've been a thousand years ago!!! The kids would have to go to their "Safe Spot" today...
Old 04-22-2020, 08:17 PM   #19

Model: Freedom Elite 26 HE
THOR #18091
Shotgun Transport

Search "McClure-Volkmer Gun Law of 1986" It was passed because of varying anti 2A laws in local municipalities across the U.S. This goes without saying-you must be legal to own said weapon.
1. Must be in compliance in both the state you are originating in and destination. USCCA has a good website for state laws.
2. Weapon must be unloaded, ammo stored in separate location, both locked and inaccessable.
3. Some states/local municipalities have adopted "no-stopping" rules/laws. I.E. New York City, Chicago.
4. All null and void for an over zealous, ignorant LEO, recommend insurance from NRA, USCCA or US Lawshield.

I don't go/spend my money where I'm not allowed to defend myself or loved ones. If enough people do this, maybe they'll get the message. Vote with your wallet.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:47 PM   #20

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by KReed464 View Post
Guns in College?? Must've been a thousand years ago!!! The kids would have to go to their "Safe Spot" today...
My Jr and Sr high schools in Maine had rifle clubs sponsored by the school. We shot at the police station indoor range using only school owned 22 target rifles that were stored at the police station. BUT I have a picture in my senior yearbook taken on the front lawn of the HS with one of the rifles. Ah the 70s!
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote