Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2020, 05:35 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
THOR #5141
Should I stay or should I go?

Right now in the panhandle of Florida. Perdido Bay to be exact. I’m looking for the advice from you Floridians and all hurricane veterans. Seems like Zeta will be heading my way as maybe a cat 1 hurricane. Looks like we will be in the northeast quadrant when it makes landfall, Looks like New Orleans will be landfall. With sustained winds of 40mph and gusts to 69 in my area. Looks like it may last 4-5 hours like this. (I know that this is all prediction and anything can change at any time). Not sure what to do. Looks like I can wait till tomorrow early afternoon and still safely bug out. This Jersey boy does not do hurricanes....well at least not yet!

Old 10-27-2020, 05:52 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
We Floridians know that the northeast quadrant of hurricanes is the most dangerous. Personally, I'd get the heck out of Dodge ASAP. Roads in evacuation areas become parking lots very quickly.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:06 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1603821928

I agree: My folks spent enough time down there to get a feel for these sort of things. (And I always listen to my Mom... )
Stay safe!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What He Said....jpg
Views:	71
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	26902  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:08 PM   #4

Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
THOR #5141
Ok booked a place well east of here and will leave first thing in the am. Thanks for your advice. Will return because we are here till the middle of November but better safe then sorry.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:53 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I hope it misses you by a thousand miles.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:07 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Grizz... I think you are right to error on the side of caution given you are in a motorhome.

Back in 2017 when Irma was heading our way in the southwest we prepped our home and decided to jump ship and head back to Pittsburgh to wait it out. It missed us for the most part.... but while we evacuated someone broke into our house and stole a TV and some other stuff.

I thought we dodged a bullet and we got shot anyway from a low life dirtbag. At that point I was sorry I didn't stay and ride it out but a "small" Cat 1 in a mobile home is a lot of risk to take. Even if you don't take a direct hit you have to deal with the aftermath.... no electric, water, gas, or food for a while.

Good luck!
Old 10-28-2020, 12:28 AM   #7

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Gritz- realize hurricane track forecasting in not science. Just science based guesswork. We were told Sally not a problem for Pensacola and we got our socks rolled down by the eye of the storm..
If you want to follow the forecasting, this is an excellent site... He also does an updaate each evening on the storm progress and factors effecting the track and intensity. (Tropical Tidbits) https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/storminfo/#28L
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:36 AM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I have an app on my phone called "radar now". You can,zoom in until you can can almost see individual raindrops.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:21 AM   #9

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Get out Grizz! Great excuse to get the MH out, in addition to avoiding disaster!
GVP
Old 10-28-2020, 12:42 PM   #10

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Grizz... I think you are right to error on the side of caution given you are in a motorhome.
Snip
Back in 2017 when Irma was heading our way in the southwest we prepped our home and decided to jump ship and head back to Pittsburgh to wait it out. It missed us for the most part.... but while we evacuated someone broke into our house and stole a TV and some other stuff.
!
You may want to consider some security cams if you haven't already for those times you are out of town.
I don't have any connection to the Wyze cams, but they work great, inexpensive as cams go and have some nice features. I have several friends who have installed them in their businesses also.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:47 PM   #11

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Should I stay or should I go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr1010 View Post
You may want to consider some security cams if you haven't already for those times you are out of town.
I don't have any connection to the Wyze cams, but they work great, inexpensive as cams go and have some nice features. I have several friends who have installed them in their businesses also.

LOL....... I have them.... three in the house.

I watched my house and even outside during the storm to see how bad it was getting.

I thought I was in the clear as I could see the storm passing by and winds dying down. Then the power went out at 11:00pm.... so much for cameras.

I got an alert at 5:00pm the next day the power was back on and that is when I could see our home was broke into and the TV was gone. Our community is even gated but almost everyone evacuated... even security.

I called the police when I saw we were robbed and they got their in 15 minutes. I did get to watch them on the cameras enter my house with guns drawn going room to room. They were nice guys... even secured my house until I could get back.

I have added some battery backups to the cameras and the modem but if the Internet goes down or the power is out for a few hours, I will still be blind.

I do have two cameras installed in my coach as well.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #12

THOR #1249
Did not think about the power going out and lot of folks evacuating. Prime time for the dirt bags to strike. Bat. backup like you said is the only solution with on site recording if the net goes down.
I just added selectable full time dash cam front and rear to car due to vandals keying my car in parking lot. Hoping to catch them that way next time.
It's a jungle out there.